+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
General Chat Thread, Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case in General; BBC News - Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case Good for them - f*cking idiots hiding their bigotry behind ...
  1. #1
    basicchannel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    279
    Thank Post
    36
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    23

    Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case

    BBC News - Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case

    Good for them - f*cking idiots hiding their bigotry behind their christian faith. If I was one of those guys I would have accepted the two single beds then started acting ridiculously OTT camp and making really loud sex noises from the bedroom whilst playing Frankie Goes to Hollywood' on full blast, but I guess they're much more mature than I am. The problem with these homophobes is they spend way too much time thinking about what other people like to do with their genitals. They should really get a life.

    "We believe a person should be free to act upon their sincere beliefs about marriage under their own roof without living in fear of the law."
    yeah, well A: their 'own roof' is a business so should have to abide by equality laws, and B: what if I felt I should be able to act on my sincere belief that under my own roof my wife must be locked in a cupboard 22 hours of the day? Would that be acceptable?

    Give me strength!

  2. 2 Thanks to basicchannel:

    stevenlong1985 (19th October 2012), Theblacksheep (18th October 2012)

  3. #2

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,999
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    642
    It's a tough one, I think, because the gay couple absolutely have the right to be treated equally to anyone else and live their life as they please, but then people have a right to their beliefs as well, and I'm uncomfortable with forcing a way of thinking upon people. As you say, though, it's not just their home, it's a business, so they have to abide by a certain set of standards.

    I fear the correct solution is just wiping out bigotry but that ain't an easy one to do in a world with religion.

  4. #3

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,368
    Thank Post
    1,399
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Rep Power
    709
    TBH there is plenty of bigotry without religion @sonofsanta

    Most religious bigotry isnt backed up by the bible. Just like most acts of supposed religious terrorism isnt backed up by the Koran.
    (dont tell me it says they can kill infidels - maybe, but it also says they must NEVER kill women and children)

    People cause these issues
    I believe someone can have their own beliefs as long as it doesnt cause any issues with anyone else. BUT if you are running a business then you must abide by the law. In fact, the law is so clear that I dont see why it has to go to court - a big fine and a requirement to change or close would do IMHO

  5. Thanks to witch from:

    sonofsanta (19th October 2012)

  6. #4

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,836
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    TBH there is plenty of bigotry without religion @sonofsanta

    Most religious bigotry isnt backed up by the bible. Just like most acts of supposed religious terrorism isnt backed up by the Koran.
    (dont tell me it says they can kill infidels - maybe, but it also says they must NEVER kill women and children)

    People cause these issues
    I believe someone can have their own beliefs as long as it doesnt cause any issues with anyone else. BUT if you are running a business then you must abide by the law. In fact, the law is so clear that I dont see why it has to go to court - a big fine and a requirement to change or close would do IMHO
    Very very true. Islam holds women in very high regard, and the rules are supposed to be there to protect them, but it has been warped to instead control them and push a very male oriented view of society.

    Bigotry should be stomped out anywhere it rears its head.

    The thing that I always try to put to people who think that such discrimination is acceptable is this - replace 'homosexuals' with 'black people' or 'women', would that sort of discrimination be ok?

    So far, no-one has managed to give any argument against that other than falling back on 'its different!'.

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    468
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 87 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Has them being Gay got anything to do with it though? At the end of the article it states that they apply the same rules to all non married couples. Is it discrimatory to not allow any non married couple the use of a double room? I think its a tough one to call. It could be argued that the government discrimates against non married couples with various tax benefits that have been around for married couples?

    It starts to become a difficult line - discrimination against someone for being gay? Clearly wrong. Being black? Clearly wrong. Refusing use of a room because you aren't married? not sure. Forcing someone to ignore their religious views? Also not sure.

    Steve

  8. Thanks to steveg from:

    bossman (18th October 2012)

  9. #6

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,836
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Has them being Gay got anything to do with it though? At the end of the article it states that they apply the same rules to all non married couples. Is it discrimatory to not allow any non married couple the use of a double room? I think its a tough one to call. It could be argued that the government discrimates against non married couples with various tax benefits that have been around for married couples?

    It starts to become a difficult line - discrimination against someone for being gay? Clearly wrong. Being black? Clearly wrong. Refusing use of a room because you aren't married? not sure. Forcing someone to ignore their religious views? Also not sure.

    Steve
    The couple should have been able to show that their policy applied to non-married heterosexual couples also - ie. they could have got some of their prior customers to give statements that they'd checked the marital status of and disallowed them sharing a bed.

  10. #7

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,935
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    It starts to become a difficult line - discrimination against someone for being gay? Clearly wrong. Being black? Clearly wrong. Refusing use of a room because you aren't married? not sure. Forcing someone to ignore their religious views? Also not sure.
    Not letting a couple stay because they are not married is forcing religion back on them.

    Would they let a polygamist stay with several wives? or would they try to blur a clear line and hide behind this trump card called religion.

  11. #8

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,043
    Thank Post
    590
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    467
    You have to be objective about it, especially in business.
    If you run a business, you can't force your beliefs on supposed customers or you'll be out on your ear for discrimination before you can say boo.

  12. #9

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    579
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 89 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    To be honest, I'd have no problem with a couple of gays sharing a bed if I ran a BnB. Why would I turn down their money in any case?

    However, the absolute hysteria that some are getting into regarding 'equal rights' and 'prejudice' has gone over the top. Its got to the point that a load of over sensitive left leaning white middle class do gooders are taking offence where it doesnt actually exist. The vast majority of us are tolerant, intelligent beings who judge people on their attitude rather then race or sexuality. Britain now has arguably the most tolerant indigenous people on Earth. Those who disagree might actually want to talk to or socialise with black/Asian/gay people and form and opinion before spreading their divisive gibberish. You may actually find the majority of 'minorities' are happy with the way they are treated in the UK. Not everything you are told in the Student bar is true!

    Long live Britain's tolerant society and shame on those bigots from all sides.
    Last edited by superatticman; 18th October 2012 at 07:13 PM.

  13. #10

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,942
    Thank Post
    1,199
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    Rep Power
    330
    @all:

    Tho wilt reap what thy sows!!!

    Repenteth now afore yeh all burn in damnation!!!

    Does the blind man avoid certain paths because he is blind or from fear of what my lie in front of him?

    This is the question?

    Who on this planet has the answer?

    No-one!

    We all have to live together but without our beliefs what have we got?

    Nothing!

    Each to their own I say so everyone is entitled to state their business no matter who it offends because like everyone else we all offend someone in the world no matter who we are.

    Live and let live and lets get on with it instead of twisting, keep the media out of it and things would not get blown out of all proportion.

    Goodnight all and to all a goodnight!

    If I have offended anyone all I say is tough s**t get over it!!

  14. #11

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,368
    Thank Post
    1,399
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Rep Power
    709
    Oh there you go again, MLNM, ranting away
    So...everyone is entitled to state their opinion? Hmmmm - racial hatred? incitement to murder? Saying incest is OK?
    Don't think so!
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to foist it on other people, especially if it is against the law.

    That couple state that they wouldnt allow unmarried couples to share a bed, so did they check marriage certificates? If not, that statement is nonsense. A wedding ring means nothing, as the person could be married to someone else. I have a different surname to mrwITch but we are married....

    *you been drinking that stuff again, @bossman?

  15. #12


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,412
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    So...everyone is entitled to state their opinion? Hmmmm - racial hatred? incitement to murder? Saying incest is OK?
    Don't think so!
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to foist it on other people, especially if it is against the law.
    That's where it gets interesting though. Not so long ago it was against the law for women to vote. I'm sure everyone would agree those brave women (and men) who stood up against the system with their opinion that women should be allowed to vote did good. In roman times homosexuality was very normal. Years later homosexuals were persecuted. Now we are swinging the other way. Point is societies views and laws change, so do we allow people to state their own opinions regardless of if it fits in with current views and laws or are opinions only allowed if they follow the law/society/mob/sheep?

    Stating and standing up for your opinions can be a power for good or for bad but then good and bad are subjective.

    Last edited by j17sparky; 18th October 2012 at 08:31 PM.

  16. #13


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,127
    Thank Post
    276
    Thanked 843 Times in 634 Posts
    Rep Power
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Oh there you go again, MLNM, ranting away
    So...everyone is entitled to state their opinion? Hmmmm - racial hatred? incitement to murder? Saying incest is OK?
    Don't think so!
    Incest is OK but hey, it's a relative thing.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to foist it on other people, especially if it is against the law.
    The law doesn't care about opinions. the law cares about actions and the intent behind them. No opinion is illegal. Stating an 'opinion' with the intent that that statement might incite someone to act in an illegal way is perhaps a bit more than 'foisting' (nice word though).

  17. #14

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,368
    Thank Post
    1,399
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Rep Power
    709
    Maybe - but hard to prove? I think actually you can't state something about black people for example in a public place? Seem to remember something about that - I'll look for it

    *edit-found this:
    "United Kingdom citizens have a negative right to freedom of expression under the common law.[50] In 1998, the United Kingdom incorporated the European Convention, and the guarantee of freedom of expression it contains in Article 10, into its domestic law under the Human Rights Act. However there is a broad sweep of exceptions including threatening, abusive, or insulting speech or behavior likely to cause a breach of the peace (which has been used to prohibit racist speech targeted at individuals),[51][52]incitement,[53]inci… to racial hatred."
    Last edited by witch; 18th October 2012 at 09:15 PM.

  18. #15


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,127
    Thank Post
    276
    Thanked 843 Times in 634 Posts
    Rep Power
    333
    Speech is an action that happens as a result of an opinion[*1]. In a given situation, stating an opinion could lead to behaviour likely to cause a breach of the (queens)[*2] peace, or ... not (whether it is likely will be dependent on the intent). No charge is possible against someone for just holding an opinion - however wrong or vile the opinion might be.

    [*1] That might seem a fine distinction but it is important.
    [*2] In England.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Couple of Win 7 GPO Settings Help
    By karldenton in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th July 2012, 11:59 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th April 2011, 11:14 AM
  3. Refusing Non domain Computers
    By BKGarry in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30th March 2006, 05:47 PM
  4. Rebooting looping Win Xp Machines
    By nuttygeek in forum Windows
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 8th February 2006, 07:30 PM
  5. One PC refuses to run script! Help!!!
    By woody in forum Scripts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th October 2005, 11:37 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •