+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case in General; Lets say you are walking along with your mother or partner, and someone for no apparent reason calls here a ...

Thank Post
    Lets say you are walking along with your mother or partner, and someone for no apparent reason calls here a total bitch, slag, whore, hooch etc.

Now...thats their right isnt it? Freedom of speech and all that.

However, you, on the other hand will have probably stopped putting your right boot through whats left of their cranium long before the plod saunter along. Thats your right to do that isnt it? Probably not, but you will certainly feel like doing so.

However, thats the reason there are laws in place to stop the situation from hopefully occurring in the first place. ie defamation, libel and slander.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @superatticman:

"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Great saying and maybe a lot of truth in it, "Slander" is something only the rich can prove as it takes too much money to take through the courts, very rare that poor people can sue for "defamation of character" which is very much like "Slander" and usually costs the same as "libel", only the lawyers or should I say solicitors get something out of it.

Why do people get so upset over words?

Its life but not as we know it Jim but lets get on with it and stop gripeing!!!

@witch:

I never mentioned "Foisting one's opinions on others"

I did say that "people are entitled to their beliefs" did I not MSSB

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    TBH there is plenty of bigotry without religion @sonofsanta
    You're right, of course, I spoke hastily and without clarity because I was eager for hometime.

To qualify that sweeping statement, then, my problem is not with religion - believe what you want, it's the most personal opinion you can hold - but with organised religion, which is too often just people hiding behind God as an excuse to be a barsteward to others. A lot of religious bigotry doesn't necessarily derive from the original texts, but from people shouting their own interpretation of it, and others, in all good faith, accepting that; how many people are religious scholars, after all, to argue these points?

I'm as guilty when it comes to science, as most of what is discussed these days simply goes over my head, much as I wish I was intelligent enough for it to be otherwise; but it's much less frequent for someone to abuse scientific authority to disseminate unpalatable personal opinions than it is for someone in a position of religious authority.

I think that's made my point clearer. I think.

4. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

witch (19th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    but with organised religion, which is too often just people hiding behind God as an excuse to be a barsteward to others.
    That pretty much sums up my view of religion. I believe people should be as spiritual as they see fit but organised religion is too often (in my view) used as a stick to beat people with. Now I'm not saying the organising of people with the same view is all bad, look at the charity work done, but if you look throughout history and organised religion has a lot of things to answer for; crusades, persecutions, inquisitions, banning of contraception especially in Africa...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post

Does the blind man avoid certain paths because he is blind or from fear of what my lie in front of him?
    Does that path go past Chorley nick?

7. Thanks to JJonas from:

basicchannel (19th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The funny thing is that most SME apply certain standards/ethos in order to get customers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Now old glass eye Griffin has hopped on the bandwagon spewing his very own brand of verbal excrement on Twitter. Apparently discrimination is a fundamental human right. Awesome, I'm just gonna go lynch that Asian family who moved in next door.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post
    Now old glass eye Griffin has hopped on the bandwagon spewing his very own brand of verbal excrement on Twitter. Apparently discrimination is a fundamental human right. Awesome, I'm just gonna go lynch that Asian family who moved in next door.
    Why do you think the word "discrimination" equates to "lynching"? I'm discriminating about the coffee I drink, the food I eat and the friends I keep. Certainly seems to me that I have a right to freely discriminate; that discrimination is actually fundamental to making choices. The problems arise when discrimination results in injustice. Where you are denied equal rights because someone discriminates against a particular attribute, race, religion, sexuality, gender, etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Why do you think the word "discrimination" equates to "lynching"? I'm discriminating about the coffee I drink, the food I eat and the friends I keep. Certainly seems to me that I have a right to freely discriminate; that discrimination is actually fundamental to making choices. The problems arise when discrimination results in injustice. Where you are denied equal rights because someone discriminates against a particular attribute, race, religion, sexuality, gender, etc.
    Err yeah, I'm sure what Nick Griffin really means when he says 'discrimination' is: 'it is our fundamental right to discriminate between the coffee we drink'. No, he means discriminate on grounds of race, gender, sexuality and religion. The lynching statement was purely hypothetical you understand?

Thank Post
    The lynching statement was purely hypothetical you understand?
    Not sure it is. Some muck-rakers would LOVE to have a few lynchings to get their point of view across. And of course there are politicians that thoroughly deserve lynching.

Thank Post
    Err yeah, I'm sure what Nick Griffin really means when he says 'discrimination' is: 'it is our fundamental right to discriminate between the coffee we drink'. No, he means discriminate on grounds of race, gender, sexuality and religion. The lynching statement was purely hypothetical you understand?
    I only know what people mean from the words they use. If someone supplies a quote of someone saying "It is our fundamental right to discriminate", then that statement rings true (no matter what I think of the generally odious views of Mr Griffin).

Thank Post
    thou shalt not judge??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Does that path go past Chorley nick?
    What is the sound of a blind man avoiding certain paths?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    What is the sound of a blind man avoiding certain paths?
    After recent news reports it's TZZZZZZZZZZ, ARGGHHHH!!!!

...Sorry.

17. 2 Thanks to TechMonkey:

basicchannel (19th October 2012), JJonas (19th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I only know what people mean from the words they use. If someone supplies a quote of someone saying "It is our fundamental right to discriminate", then that statement rings true (no matter what I think of the generally odious views of Mr Griffin).
    Most people also gather context surrounding those words. Griffin says discrimination is a right. You've taken that to mean coffee for some bizarre reason, but I took it to be within the context of the current events he was also discussing, namely, discriminating against people based on their sexual orientation...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast