+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, ToDo List in General; So, today I decided to write my summer holiday todo list on a whiteboard in one of the ICT Suites. ...

Thank Post

ToDo List

So, today I decided to write my summer holiday todo list on a whiteboard in one of the ICT Suites. It covered the entire white board.

It doesn't help that they force me to have a summer holiday by locking up the school after this week until the penultimate week of the holidays.

Anyone else in a similar position?

(This probably should have been filed under FFS!)

Thank Post

Re: ToDo List

We're in the position of:-

Loads to do, but theres a huge hole in the outside wall and a large airlock (asbestos tent) where the server room used to be...

Kyle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt put my to do list on a whiteboard some one might rub it of lol. Unless its an IWB

Thank Post

I typed my jobs list into wordpad, and then, prior to the end of term, emailed this to the other techies... just for a laugh.

There were 32 items on the list !

The comments that came back, were along the lines of "you'll never do that lot"... my response being, no, but it means I can choose what I do, and explains why I haven't done what they asked for.

The other full time tech, had a list of 7 items to do this summer. He's done half of them already, and about 3-4 of mine.

Just to make it obvious how much I do over summer, I also have started sending a weekly update on friday.. it takes about 30 min to type, but last week there was 27 items on this list (not matching up with the 32 items on the other jobs list).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Things are just ticking over for me. One of the part time techs has a bunch of stuff to do, but he's only working for the first two weeks of the Summer holidays. My work doesn't really 'start' until the 3rd week when I upgrade Moodle. The rest of the stuff, I have to wait for contractors to finish building offices/etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

My work started in ernest on day 1 of the holiday, crowbars and all. Yes thats right crowbars were used

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    My work started in ernest on day 1 of the holiday, crowbars and all. Yes thats right crowbars were used
    Crowbars...in the holidays! Surely the best time is when the kids are around?!

Thank Post

You would think so, but no this was for removing things from rooms ready to fill with PCs instead

Thank Post

Lots of imaging, printer installs relocation of offices and telephone extensions. Rejigging of our switch and comms rooms, Server updates, new av and spyware software etc. Co-ordinate expanding network suites and additions to the infrastructure.

I gave a a 10 page list of todo's to our head of "strategic of ict" and he just aggreed to the work. My point was to show him just how much we had to do in the summer hols and allow time for technicans holidays.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dhustyn
    I gave a a 10 page list of todo's to our head of "strategic of ict" and he just aggreed to the work. My point was to show him just how much we had to do in the summer hols and allow time for technicans holidays.
    Welcome to the group!

I often give my head pieces of paper outlining why I can't do what I am supposed to do - usually I don't hear anything after that. I even handed him a list of ten things that I really must get done before next year. One of them was "panic" - I still didn't hear anything.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

TODO: Make a todo list

Thank Post

I could have done with a crowbar. Had to settle for a large screwdriver. I have also been extensively using a jigsaw and large hammer this holiday as well while creating a little more room in my office :P .

Thank Post

You building yourself an office extension then chrisH

Our 'to-do' list is pretty big, 130 new PCs to setup and image, 100 new laptops to prepare, new projector installs on thursday, lots of new cabling going in, two big cabinets to re-wire and optimise as well as well overdue housekeeping on all the servers. Tomorrow thou we're knocking a wall in our office down to link the two offices we have at the moment making one large office for the 4 of us. Started on it today, and realised the wall is slightly better made than we thought. And before anone says it, yes we have had it checked to make sure we're OK kocking it down!

Mike

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    I could have done with a crowbar. Had to settle for a large screwdriver. I have also been extensively using a jigsaw and large hammer this holiday as well while creating a little more room in my office :P .
    Hmm I feel that myself and Chris both belong to the same school of thought, in that the IT guys will be fine. I am not moaning its a nice change. In my case it was turn a room with fitted bookcases into an IT suite and move the contents of the new IT room into the old one (yes it was a room swap), but upon removal of said bookcases, in one piece I will add, i found no carpet, holes in walls, no skirting board, no paint and bare sockets.

So for me the evostick comes out at the end of the week to glue the new carpet down, the jigsaw in the next day or so to finish the joinery needed and the power sander tomorrow to sand the walls and woodwork ready for painting and sorting out, and as if by magic all the teachers will go wow nice work to the team we pay to do that work and not realise that the IT dept did it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well the IT dept. here has been through 3 hands in the last 3-4 years so this summers todo list basicly consists of making sure that we know where everything is and whats it called. I mean what is the point in a PC called 'adam' or 'Attendance' so thats about 150 re-names to do. All our servers need patching or moving to 2003 since some are still on 2K + the two new rooms which need coms cupboards and patching oh yes and they want Exchange set up..........

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread