+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, T & L in Computer Science in General; I would appreciate any feedback ref "App Inventor". Anyone got classes using this?...

Thank Post
    I would appreciate any feedback ref "App Inventor". Anyone got classes using this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerak99 View Post
    I do not understand this answer. Is it a joke? If not, perhaps you could clarify.
    Thanks to all those who clarified my answer for me while I was AFK

I meant exactly what they said, education software is generally complete rubbish which is why it causes sooooo many problems and the retired teachers that write these packages should not really be left in charge of a pencil let alone a computer.

What I provided was an engineering solution to the problem you expressed about software needing to access the c: and messing with it. My last remamrk about cheating was implying that since the software was generally so thick the only way to make it work was to hide the 'complexity' in the OS. If these things were programmed up to 1998's level of good practice this would not even be an issue.

Other solutions which have been provided revolve around the use of VM's effectively giving the program a whole system to trash which is reset each time. It is not really a solution but rather a workaround to the actual problem which is 'educational' software written by people who should be banned from the English language let along the programming languages they use.

Thank Post
    Thank you for that SYNACK, some specifics would be useful where you think the programming is particularly egregious. Also, there is a specific difficulty with AppInventor. Have you explored that at all? I think the issue maybe the way the application interacts with the google systems but I am fairly confident that it was not written by a retired teacher. A problem that should decrease for you with the new pension rules as most of them will die of a heart attack in the classroom long before retirement.

Hey, maybe the RBS systems were written by retired teachers!

Here is a cry for help that I have received on the CAS forum, your suggestions would be helpful I am sure.

I’ve been trying to get App Inventor running ... the list of instructions to get App Inventor running is putting students off. By the way, any USB connections have been disabled so that transferring an app to a mobile device is not possible during the lesson. The instructions are…

1) Gmail account – Remember your login name & password!
    2) MIT App Inventor
    3) Click on Invent
    4) If you get any errors try pressing F5 to refresh the page
    5) Click on “Learn” for information on setting up your PC and for tutorials.
    6) Open the Blocks Editor (if Explorer objects, select “Download File” then try again)
    7) Click “Open” and “Run” when asked.
    8) Enter \appinventor when asked for the pathname.
    9) From the Blocks Editor click “New Emulator”.
    10) Unlock the emulator (virtual phone) then select Connect to Device – Emulator 5554.
    11) After a few seconds you should see your app on the emulator.
    12) Read the tutorials and create!
    Last edited by nerak99; 18th October 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nerak99 View Post
    Also, there is a specific difficulty with AppInventor. Have you explored that at all? I think the issue maybe the way the application interacts with the google systems but I am fairly confident that it was not written by a retired teacher. .
    Has anyone got this working for students who do not have permission to run exe's or browse the c:?
    It downloads a jnlp file and doesn't know what runs it. The students can't access the area to browse and find it, so the blocks editor won't load.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12