+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, BETT 2013 in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 tmcd35your best route is to get the DLR from Woolwich Arsenal to West Silvertown and then ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    tmcd35your best route is to get the DLR from Woolwich Arsenal to West Silvertown and then walk (about 10-15 minutes walking)

There's a foot bridge over the dock to ExCeL

Google maps route
    Actually that's a tip for anyone coming in by tube on the Saturday.

Get to Canning Town station (jubilee line) and then change to the DLR to West Silvertown.

It's a good 20-25 minutes walk from Canning Town station (I did it several times during the Olympics) and only 10-15 minutes walk from West Silvertown using the footbridge over the dock.

Alternatively go to North Greenwich by the O2. Walk to the Emirates airline and get the cable car over the river. ExCeL is about 5 minutes walk from the other end. The Emirates Airline is not included in a travelcard fare, but you can get a discounted fare if you show your travelcard. You can also use an Oyster card for the Airline.

2. 3 Thanks to elsiegee40:

Devontechie (12th January 2013), john (11th January 2013), TheScarfedOne (11th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I've just registered [It seems I forgot...]

I'm probably coming down on the Saturday, but fingers crossed I can get the 3 days off to get down during the week as well.

If you see a long haired gentleman who is apprently a "GLaDOS wrangler", that would be me.

Thank Post

There's a foot bridge over the dock to ExCeL

Google maps route
    @elsiegee40 Thanks for the link for the map.. Think that is the way I will be walking on the Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Devontechie; 11th January 2013 at 09:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Actually that's a tip for anyone coming in by tube on the Saturday.

Get to Canning Town station (jubilee line) and then change to the DLR to West Silvertown.

It's a good 20-25 minutes walk from Canning Town station (I did it several times during the Olympics) and only 10-15 minutes walk from West Silvertown using the footbridge over the dock.

Alternatively go to North Greenwich by the O2. Walk to the Emirates airline and get the cable car over the river. ExCeL is about 5 minutes walk from the other end. The Emirates Airline is not included in a travelcard fare, but you can get a discounted fare if you show your travelcard. You can also use an Oyster card for the Airline.
    Will point my techy @silver_uk to this as he will need this info on the Saturday.......

Thank Post
    As it seems alot of you have experience of London, at least a lot more than me anyway, was wondering if I could as some advice?

I now have a hotel booked for me and my friend, were staying at the Travelodge in the Docklands, which is only a short walk to Canning Town Station. So was going to walk from the hotel to the ExCel.

My question that I need to ask is how to get from City to the Docklands and vice-versa, as whilst I am here I want to do some site seeing etc, but also I am either catching the Train to Paddington or the Bus to Victoria. As I have heard about some maintenance work etc I don't want to get confused.

Cheers
    Tom

hit
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgrindle View Post
    My question that I need to ask is how to get from City to the Docklands and vice-versa, as whilst I am here I want to do some site seeing etc, but also I am either catching the Train to Paddington or the Bus to Victoria. As I have heard about some maintenance work etc I don't want to get confused.

Cheers
    Tom
    Tfl.gov.uk is your friend, planned works can be found here Planned works calendar | Transport for London

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgrindle View Post

Cheers
    Tom
    @tomgrindle
    From Paddington:

Take Bakerloo Line to Baker Street. At Baker Street change to the Jubilee Line and go to Canning Town

From Victoria:

Walk to Victoria Tube Station. Take Victoria Line to Green Park Underground Station. Take Jubilee Line to Canning Town.

I would also follow @elsiegee40 post above (BETT 2013) and get the DLR from Canning Town to West Silvertown and walk over the foot bridge to Excel - West Silvertown to ExCeL London - Google Maps
    Last edited by Devontechie; 12th January 2013 at 11:22 AM.

9. 2 Thanks to Devontechie:

TheScarfedOne (12th January 2013), zag (14th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Brilliant, thanks all ... gotta say it's the first time I've been to London without any guidance from people that know where they're going. We own a Coach Company and I have been to London many times but maybe I should have paid a bit more attention, and this time I don't particularly want to bring Dad with me this time as my personal SatNav :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Right - all train tickets booked! Looking forward to it

12. Thanks to witch from:

TheScarfedOne (13th January 2013)

Thank Post
    There is a bus station right outside Canning Town tube. There may be a bus going direct to ExCeL which you would be able to use a Travelcard on... if it's there get that rather the DLR.

Thank Post
    There is a bus - when we went to the Star Trek convention the train was not running and we were directed to a bus outside the station. We walked though.

It would be nice if people could wear a badge with their edugeek name on! I find people work out who I am very quickly, due no doubt to my gender, age and hair colour, and I get greeted enthusiastically by people who think I know who they are. Heads up, guys, I don't - even if I have met you once before. Some of you, of course, I can't forget...

15. Thanks to witch from:

TheScarfedOne (13th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post

It would be nice if people could wear a badge with their edugeek name on! I find people work out who I am very quickly, due no doubt to my gender, age and hair colour, and I get greeted enthusiastically by people who think I know who they are. Heads up, guys, I don't - even if I have met you once before. Some of you, of course, I can't forget...
    Even a picture of your avatar will help.

It is hard to remember people's real names, I find. There are several on here who I've known for a long time whose posting name comes to me first even though I know them and their proper forename. (Even you @witch )

PS My forename isn't Elsie, but I answer to it
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 12th January 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes, me too. I do think of you, @elsiegee40 by your real name but @plexer and others tend to stick in the mind rather than the real name. Of course in some cases - @vikpaw, @Ric_ and others, know the edugeek name and you know the real name!! (less fun though)

I also answer to Witch

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    The key to success is learning to look down at visitor badges without being spotted that way you can spot real names and schools and hope it makes some form of connection... Maybe write your EG name on your visitors badge so we can join them up that way?

19. Thanks to john from:

zag (14th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Yeah we started putting edugeek names on badges.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast