+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, McKinnon extradition decision due. in General; Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster OK, so why is it that everyone has the impression that the extradition system is so ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    OK, so why is it that everyone has the impression that the extradition system is so loaded in favour of the US? Odd.
    The standard of evidence is subtly different (explained by the guardian article linked to earlier). I think that's at the root of such perceptions.

Personally I think McKinnon should be tried in the UK. If computer misuse depends on the law in the country where the target system is located, then that sets a poor precedent. What legal sanction might then be faced by someone hacking (say) a ship or planes systems in mid Atlantic?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    What legal sanction might then be faced by someone hacking (say) a ship or planes systems in mid Atlantic?
    INTERNATIONAL WATERS! WOO!

Thank Post
    Do you remember the TV Links guy? He'd broken no laws in this country but the US wanted him for supposed copyright infringment. This would tie him up with huge costs and will ruin his life. To know its possible you could break the law in another country on your PC and then find yourself on a plane to that country to face charges is unacceptable in this Internet age. Extraditions should be reserved for only the most serious crimes.

The US issue warnings to new prisoners about STDs as they are fully aware that prisoners are routinely raped and accept this as the norm.

Gary McKinnon has broken the law and should pay but he should pay here not in the US where he can spend the next few years in solitary or being sexually abused.

4. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

X-13 (16th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Do you remember the TV Links guy? He'd broken no laws in this country but the US wanted him for supposed copyright infringment.
    I couldn't remember the details of that. I was going to mention it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm going to upset everyone here by saying they should send him. He was stupid. Stupid and caught. UFOs, aspergers or not, he should man up and face the consequences instead of attempting to hide behind or blame these things.
    Agree 100%

Thank Post
    Well he has got away with it. I wonder if he will be well enough to vote Tory in the next election.....

8. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (16th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Home Secretary Theresa May says there is no doubt Mr McKinnon is seriously ill. She says she has carefully examined the medical evidence and taken legal advice and has concluded that his extradition would give such a high risk that he would end his life that it restricts his human rights
    They've decided the suicide risk is too high

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Well he has got away with it. I wonder if he will be well enough to vote Tory in the next election.....
    He's never actually denied the charges though, after he was caught he admitted what he'd done. The question is where he should be tried, not whether or not he should be. He's not actually gotten away with anything, so you should probably be careful when you make statements like that. Honestly Mattx, from lurking here for a while and seeing your posts in the past I expected better of you.
    Last edited by Sdrawkcab; 16th October 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Newws just in: he is not being extradited to the US. Medical reports said that he would commit suicide if moved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    He's never actually denied the charges though, after he was caught he admitted what he'd done. The question is where he should be tried, not whether or not he should be. He's not actually gotten away with anything, so you should probably be careful when you make statements like that. Honestly Mattx, from lurking here for a while and seeing your posts in the past I expected better of you.
    You shouldn't expect anything from me....
    I just enjoy lighting the blue touch paper from time to time.....

13. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (16th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The USA is just looking to cover up their own stupidity and embarrassment. $800k damages? Nonsense. That's the cost of actually having to secure your systems I reckon. From what I saw of the extradition stuff, he had connected to systems using PC Anywhere, using default passwords. Ooh, such a terrorist...

Also, people saying he should be sent - you are obviously soulless. The guy has been judged to be a suicide risk by, I think, 5 separate medical professionals. He has asperger's, which any psychologist will be able to tell you means that much of his behaviour is simply an extension of the obsessive aspect of that.

So, in the end, yes he broke laws, but at the same time he has diminished responsibility and is a suicide risk!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Excellent decision all round, finally the tories make a right decision

Sadly some of the comments here only highlight the ignorance surrounding Asperger's and Austism.

16. 4 Thanks to sparkeh:

elsiegee40 (16th October 2012), HMCTech (16th October 2012), localzuk (16th October 2012), tech_guy (16th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The USA is just looking to cover up their own stupidity and embarrassment. $800k damages? Nonsense. That's the cost of actually having to secure your systems I reckon. From what I saw of the extradition stuff, he had connected to systems using PC Anywhere, using default passwords. Ooh, such a terrorist...

Also, people saying he should be sent - you are obviously soulless. The guy has been judged to be a suicide risk by, I think, 5 separate medical professionals. He has asperger's, which any psychologist will be able to tell you means that much of his behaviour is simply an extension of the obsessive aspect of that.

So, in the end, yes he broke laws, but at the same time he has diminished responsibility and is a suicide risk!
    So does that mean if he is convicted in this country he won't kill himself ? But he would have if he had been sent over to the US ?
    Will have to remember that one.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gary McKinnon Interview - BBC - 05 May 2006 - YouTube <- for anyone who wants to see the interview.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Excellent decision all round, finally the tories make a right decision

Sadly some of the comments here only highlight the ignorance surrounding Asperger's and Austism.
    FYI I'm autistic.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast