+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, LastPass in General; Hiya! Seems like its been a while since I last started a thread! Do any of you guys confidently use ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

LastPass

Hiya!

Seems like its been a while since I last started a thread!

Do any of you guys confidently use LastPass (or open to suggestions for alternative, ive very briefly looked at KeePass) I have trouble rememebering all of my passwords for different websites etc and thinking would LastPass be beneficial?

Correct me if im wrong, but LastPass is used to generate a random password and thats what it rememebers, so end goal is; basically never know any of my passwords...Im not 100% sure im confident in letting a service do that for me. Anybody actively use this?

Cheers!

Mart

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do.

Whenever I create a new password I export all of them as a CSV file.

That way, I can grab them if I need to.

However, I don't use it for everything. There are a few websites that I set up manually, so that I can remember it and do it on the fly. [Or on my phone. Forget paying for something that's free on iOS.]

Out of all my passwords, there are only about 3 or 4 I actually know. The rest are gibberish.

3. Thanks to X-13 from:

mmoseley (9th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Think this is what you need... as recommended by eduGod himself

EduGeek.net - Getting started with LastPass password management

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Think this is what you need... as recommended by eduGod himself

EduGeek.net - Getting started with LastPass password management
    Yeah I originally saw that and was like "Thats a good idea" so signed up and started looking at it, Do you think its a good idea to change my passwords (nothing mission critical like bank stuff, im thinking like facebook, twitter etc) to randomly generated passwords? Im starting to doubt myself...and thats never a good idea!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    Yeah I originally saw that and was like "Thats a good idea" so signed up and started looking at it, Do you think its a good idea to change my passwords (nothing mission critical like bank stuff, im thinking like facebook, twitter etc) to randomly generated passwords? Im starting to doubt myself...and thats never a good idea!
    Yes. It's a good idea.

I also set mine to logout when it [the tab/browser] is closed. That way nobody can "hack" you.

Plus, with randomly generated passwords, they're tough to crack.

You could do banking stuff as well. IIRC, Last Pass CAN'T read what your passwords are. [But if you do use it for banking, export your passwords.]

8. Thanks to X-13 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Yes. It's a good idea.

I also set mine to logout when it [the tab/browser] is closed. That way nobody can "hack" you.

Plus, with randomly generated passwords, they're tough to crack.

You could do banking stuff as well. IIRC, Last Pass CAN'T read what your passwords are. [But if you do use it for banking, export your passwords.]
    Thanks X-13. I was listening to this Security Now 256: LastPass Security - YouTube - very in depth but well worth 2 hours (more like 1 1/2 hrs of LastPass stuff) of time.

I think ill give it a go, but surely if your exporting the password file, its counter-intuative to do so? I understand the need of "Oh F***" moment but what do you then do with that file, Password protect it? lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    Thanks X-13. I was listening to this Security Now 256: LastPass Security - YouTube - very in depth but well worth 2 hours (more like 1 1/2 hrs of LastPass stuff) of time.

I think ill give it a go, but surely if your exporting the password file, its counter-intuative to do so? I understand the need of "Oh F***" moment but what do you then do with that file, Password protect it? lol
    I should have mentioned, my exported file is on an encrypted USB that I keep somewhere else.

It's for if/when I have no internet and can't remember my master password. [Which I never will. Thanks XKCD.]

If I forget the unencryption password and my master password... I'm screwed. [Encryption password follows same logic as XKCD.]
    Last edited by X-13; 9th October 2012 at 01:00 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information