+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Stoptober in General; So, who else is doing this then? 4 days in, and I could happily chew the edge of my desk ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Stoptober

So, who else is doing this then?

4 days in, and I could happily chew the edge of my desk off!!!

I'm doing pretty well, most of the time, despite that previous sentence, but I'm just wondering how others are getting on.

The wife and I are both going cold turkey and putting all money we save in our joint bank account in a slow and boring effort to save towards a house deposit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope. I've [still] been trying to get Sophos to work all week.

No cigarettes combined with stupid Sophos? Not a good idea.

However, playng WoW again is making me smoke less.

3. Thanks to X-13 from:

aerospacemango (4th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    The wife and I are both going cold turkey and putting all money we save in our joint bank account in a slow and boring effort to save towards a house deposit.
    I am not a smoker so in support of everyone trying to quit I am also trying to improve myself. Minimum 4 visits a week at the gym, and not just to sit in the Cafe

May sound like a boring goal, but having a goal will help you in the long run - every time you are tempted and resist congratulate yourself

Good Luck

Dave

5. Thanks to DavidIrwin from:

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good luck to all of you! Chins up and kick the habit!

7. Thanks to CAM from:

Thank Post
    Cutting Down.... Might be quit by the end of the month... Maybe

9. Thanks to jdoldridge from:

Thank Post
    I can only say... dig your heels in - it's well worth it! I am 8 months free of nicotine today so happy anniversary to me!

The NHS smoke stop service really helped me (think about changing your behaviour to break habits - little things like I changed my mug to a cup and bought some quality tea and coffee... that then became a new non-smoking routine so my mind wasn't constantly telling me to smoke every time I went for a break!).

It helped me too when I realised I was an addict - not in a oh, yeah I'm addicted way, but in a scientific, look up the definition way. This means that the only way to not be addicted is to not ever have that substance - simple stuff, but it took me a while before that penny really dropped... when it does you're starting to understand what it is you need to do...

I can post some more later if it'll help anyone - and I won't lie, it's probably the hardest thing I've ever done... but it is worth it... GOOD LUCK!

11. 2 Thanks to Netman:

aerospacemango (4th October 2012), ButterflyMoon (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    I can only say... dig your heels in - it's well worth it! I am 8 months free of nicotine today so happy anniversary to me!

The NHS smoke stop service really helped me (think about changing your behaviour to break habits - little things like I changed my mug to a cup and bought some quality tea and coffee... that then became a new non-smoking routine so my mind wasn't constantly telling me to smoke every time I went for a break!).

It helped me too when I realised I was an addict - not in a oh, yeah I'm addicted way, but in a scientific, look up the definition way. This means that the only way to not be addicted is to not ever have that substance - simple stuff, but it took me a while before that penny really dropped... when it does you're starting to understand what it is you need to do...

I can post some more later if it'll help anyone - and I won't lie, it's probably the hardest thing I've ever done... but it is worth it... GOOD LUCK!
    This is ALL good stuff.... But it is really difficult at the mo!

4 days in, and although I have changed my break time ritual, it is still on my mind. It is very hard to break! I gave up for 3 months, a few years ago, and that was using patches. This time, I've gone cold turkey.

I did think that this thread would be a magnet for people TRYING to give up, so that we could all support each other, but it's good to know that there are people out there who, even if they gave up a while ago, or never smoked at all, are willing to offer support!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidIrwin View Post
    I am not a smoker so in support of everyone trying to quit I am also trying to improve myself. Minimum 4 visits a week at the gym, and not just to sit in the Cafe

May sound like a boring goal, but having a goal will help you in the long run - every time you are tempted and resist congratulate yourself

Good Luck

Dave
    It's not actually a boring goal...and I, perhaps, worded that wrong! But seeing the savings go up bit by bit, knowing that it's be at least 2 years before we have enough for a deposit.....that makes it boring!

Thank Post
    4 days in, and although I have changed my break time ritual, it is still on my mind.
    Having experience of CBT (for other things), I'll say that 4 days in, it will still be on your mind, it can take a while for an old habit to be replaced with the new behaviour, but stick at it. Something that may also help is what's called a Cost / Benefit analysis, so you list things smoking cost's you like health, money, perhaps how it may affect you children (if you have any). Then list the benefits, so you'll be healthier, again should you have any, your kids may be happier (i.e. not worrying will dad/mum get cancer). There will probably more points to add to each side, but the point is you see which list is longer and then decide if your old behaviour (smoking) cost's you more than it benefits you. Hopefully the benefit's of stopping seem more attractive.

Note: I don't smoke.

15. Thanks to kernewek-sam from:

aerospacemango (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    First time I stopped I saved all the money and bought my first motorbike. Was off 5 years that time. Cold turkey. Second time I was off for 9 years again cold turkey. Saved the money and bought my first Beetle this time the incentive is the current radiotherapy am going through. Seems prudent now more than ever to get back off the evil weed!! Nope it is not easy but for me counting the hours from the last cig works wonders. When it gets bad I think 'I'll just wait another hour then have one' I then go do something else and find that the hour has come and gone and I have forgotten the urge. Good luck to you all
    Last edited by ButterflyMoon; 5th October 2012 at 08:37 AM.

17. Thanks to ButterflyMoon from:

Thank Post
    No, I thought about it.

I stopped a 20-30 day habit 9 years ago but started again in May, only 6-7 a day now but I enjoy it too much to stop

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    First time I stopped I saved all the money and bought my first motorbike. Was off 5 years that time. Cold turkey. Second time I was off for 9 years again cold turkey. Saved the money and bought my first Beetle this time the incentive is the current radiotherapy am going through. Seems prudent now more than ever to get back off the evil weed!! Nope it is not easy but for me counting the hours from the last cig works wonders. When it gets bad I think 'I'll just wait another hour then have one' I then go do something else and find that the hour has come and gone and I have forgotten the urge. Good luck to you all
    Over the years I have stopped for some years and started again several times in similar fashion. What got me through the last time was similar only I did it by days - I would say to myself "but you have lasted 17 days - wouldnt it be awful to go back to the beginning?" It worked for me too. I dont think I will ever go back to it now
    Some people manage to give up and never think about it again but most of us are addicts. I never smoked heavily but I know I could start again in a heartbeat - because I am an addict. It helps that none of my friends smoke now and you cant smoke in pubs etc.

20. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    No, I thought about it.

I stopped a 20-30 day habit 9 years ago but started again in May, only 6-7 a day now but I enjoy it too much to stop
    It's always good to take a break from smoking, it helps you cut down. [And by extension, spend less.]

22. Thanks to X-13 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    It's not actually a boring goal...and I, perhaps, worded that wrong! But seeing the savings go up bit by bit, knowing that it's be at least 2 years before we have enough for a deposit.....that makes it boring!
    TBH giving up is so tough that you might consider a shorter-term goal - perhaps something a bit more special at Christmas - spending just a little of the money you have saved? It might give you something to focus on a bit nearer to hand, so to speak

24. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    My brother stopped a few years ago before the birth of his first child he went cold turkey but found some sugar free lollys and that helped him as when ever he needed to smoke at first he would just suck on a lolly,

Hes now off 20 lollys a day (yes he got addicted to lollys) and is a much healthier person.

Good luck to all those trying to give up!

26. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information