+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Stoptober in General; I gave up on the 31st October last year. I was an "I enjoy this and I don't care if ...

Thank Post
    I gave up on the 31st October last year. I was an "I enjoy this and I don't care if it kills me" smoker! The intent was to go cold turkey but that didn't work. I had a couple of weak moments; one where I bought some tobacco - rolled a cigarette and smoked 1/4 of it before running it and the tobacco under the tap and threw it into the kitchen compost bucket. The worst was yet to come. Two days later I 'rescued' a large pinch out of the compost, dried it and tried to smoke it. It was absolutely foul. I relented and bought some nicotine tablets. Taking them felt a bit like a fail but it got me through the worst. I kept taking them for 6-8 months and had started to wonder how I would give them up. As it happened I just seemed to forget to take them and a couple of weeks ago I threw most of the remaining ones out as I hadn't taken one for a few weeks and didn't feel I needed them any more.

Good luck anyone who is stopping. It is a hugely difficult thing to do but YOU CAN DO IT. It does get easier after the first few weeks and it is worth it.

2. Thanks to pcstru from:

aerospacemango (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I'm a bit unusual, I only smoke 2-3 a day, and certainly am not physically addicted, as I can easily go a day or 2,3,4 without any, but I just really enjoy the few I do have. And in my head, because it's a small amount I do think 'why bother quitting' although I'm sure I will one day, and I should because even a few a day is not good for my health. I realise I'm quite lucky that I don't seem to become addicted, and it is really difficult for heavier smokers.

So yeah, I thought about Stopober but haven't done it so far

Thank Post
    Good luck to everyone trying! its hard, very hard, i gave up around the time my daughter was born (15 yrs ago!) the first 6 weeks are the hardest, i used the nicotine chewing gum which helped a little! but its tough, and you have to stick to it one day at a time! i still get small "pangs" every now and then for one, but now they last seconds rather than hours!!

5. Thanks to Smed from:

Thank Post
    Good luck everyone. I smoked 20+ Marlboro a day for years and gave up in January 2000 and haven't looked back. I used teh patches and followed the program that they recommend and found that it helped enormously. I had already banned smoking in teh flat or car so that helped but I think what helped me as well was changing what I did at key moments ... the first cigarette of the day was repleced by making tea and having some cereal, instead of having one after dinner I went and di the washing up, I stopped going to the pub for a long while as this was a time I smoked the most.

Celebrate the anniversaries, 1 week, 2, a month 2 months etc. Reward yourself with a treat ... bottle of wine, takeaway, just something to make you feel good about yourself.

Remember how hard it's been so far and that if you do have a smoke, it's all got to start again.

Most of all, just remember how worthwhile it will be to be a non smoker.

7. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information