+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Santa came early today.. in General; Long story short - originally ordered a £500 HP switch and a kensington lock from a supplier (who will remain ...
    Thank Post

Santa came early today..

Long story short - originally ordered a £500 HP switch and a kensington lock from a supplier (who will remain anonymous). Few days later switch arrives but no kensington lock. Ring supplier about missing kensington lock and they said they will ship it out next day free of charge, and were very apologetic!

So today I have received yet another £500 HP switch FOC Just as well because I was looking to order a decent replacement switch for the servers, so that's £500 spent elsewhere

Has this happened to anyone else? Last place I worked at a supplier was doing this sort of thing all the time, only with servers, switches, printers

Thank Post

Re: Santa came early today..

I don't intent to play devils advocate, but isn't that the same as stealing? :P. I personally would send it back... it just seems wrong, especially at £500, even if it was their mistake.

Thank Post

Fair point - but we have already paid for and received a switch. If they want to give me another one (by willingly posting one, as opposed to me robbing their warehouse) then that's fine by me

Would it make it any better if I said it was a rather large and much hated supplier?

Thank Post

I ordered a 4U flightcase for keeping some Cisco kit in and with it came a 600W stereo PA amplifier. On that occassion TNT messed up the delivery but I got them to arrange pickup and sent it back but the guy that runs the business said if i need any kit he'd do me a deal for some cheap stuff....so it's not all bad.

Maybe your supplier would do you a deal on your replacement switch if you sent that one back out of good will?

Thank Post

I once ordered a PC from DELL (for school), it took ages to arrive, we had to chase them more than once. A few days after it arrived we received a second one. Our admin dept phoned them to ask them to arrange collection, they offered to sell it to us at a discount... we paid less than half price! Maybe you should negotiate.......

Thank Post

I had this happen with a £1500 APC UPS.

Phoned the supplier who told me to keep it - they were moving warehouses and it would be more trouble than it was worth.

No complaints from me!

But I'd always give a supplier the opportunity to have there kit back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

I expect you will get invoiced for it.

Tell them you have it.

They have 30 days to pick it up otherwise it's yours.

Don't tell them you have it and you have to keep the goods for 6months or 12 months I think before you own them.

Ben

Thank Post

We had an order over-supplied (IIRC about 3 more monitors than we ordered) so we kept them, only for the supplier to invoice us when they finally worked out where their screens had gone

Thank Post

We ordered a Dell PDA once for a teacher - long service award or soemthing like that. Anyway they sent us 2. Can't remember if they had invoiced us or not but I rang them and told them. They offered us the discount to keep it (like you broc). We said "thanks, but no thanks." Called us back and told us to keep it!

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries

At my last place Dell supplied optical drives when none were requested for 60 machines ... when we said 'take them out and give us the blanking plates please', they said ... 'here are the blanking plates ... it is not worth the money us coming and collecting them' ... and so we used these optical drives as spares when others got damaged.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts

I agree with plexor
    If you tell them you have it, then you have done the right thing and if they want it back they can arrange collection

I never could keep something like that as I would think that something awful would happen to me as retribution (divine or otherwise!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I've had that happen before, I've had extra toners arrive before, given them the opportunity to solve it and they never collected, told again and said if they dont collect I will be charging them storage, got a letter the next day saying please keep them as an appology for the inconvienience (they had sent me the wrong toners twice that month already!)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    ...and said if they dont collect I will be charging them storage, got a letter the next day saying please keep them as an appology for the inconvienience (they had sent me the wrong toners twice that month already!)
    ROFLMAO...

Well that's a novel twist on things... Never thought to "charge them storage" before but I suppose they charge for restocking, etc..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

The bursar came up with that one (yeah obvious now ain't it, always thinking of how to make money :twisted: ) But its a good idea, has worked in the past, companies have arranged to collect almost instantly when I say we will charge storage

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries

a friend of mine ordered a chair and a desk for a computer, after a few days the chair broke. They rung the supplier up they said throw the old chair and we will send another. A few days a desk arrived instead. They rung the supplier and told them they said right ok we will send the chair and give the desk back to the supplier. After a few days another desk, they wouldn’t take anything back. This happened four times they ended up with 4 desks. They finally sent a chair and told them to keep the desks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread