+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, WoL Boot and shutdown in General; What do you guys do? I have FOG which can do magic packets, but the scheduler is broke in the ...

Thank Post

WoL Boot and shutdown

What do you guys do?

I have FOG which can do magic packets, but the scheduler is broke in the current build, so you have to manually edit the SQL tables to delete events etc. Is there an alternative? I also tried to use the FOG client for shutdowns, but it just would not deploy properly and kept making machines hang. So ditched that idea.

Thank Post
    We have a batch file per building which runs as a scheduled task from our DC to shutdown all of the computers at 7.30PM
    We then use WOLCMD and another batch file per building to start the machines back up again - again running on a scheduled task at 8AM.

It just works - can send you a copy of the scripts \ WOLCMD if you want them.

3. Thanks to eddyc from:

TMODAlpha (3rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyc View Post
    We have a batch file per building which runs as a scheduled task from our DC to shutdown all of the computers at 7.30PM
    We then use WOLCMD and another batch file per building to start the machines back up again - again running on a scheduled task at 8AM.

It just works - can send you a copy of the scripts \ WOLCMD if you want them.
    I did think about doing it like that, but I figured shutdown /s /c "Shutdown" /t 30 /m \\computer 200 times was a bit tedious, and it hangs if one is already off.

I'll PM you my email, those bits would be great to look at. Does wolcmd work from the mac addresses?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use Specops GPUpdate Professional - about 70 one-off for a user licence (i.e. domain\administrator) and it lets you schedule shutdowns and wake-ups, amongst other things. You can get the free version to have a play but it won't let you schedule anything, but should give you an idea if it's worth it for you. We couldn't live without it here, with it's easy gpupdating and what have you.

6. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

TMODAlpha (3rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    We use the feature built into Impero here and turn off our site after the school closes and power everything up about 7:30 in the mornings here so windows updates can take place

8. Thanks to rich_tech from:

russdev (9th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    We use the feature built into Impero here and turn off our site after the school closes and power everything up about 7:30 in the mornings here so windows updates can take place
    I used impero at my old school, i miss features like that.

10. Thanks to TMODAlpha from:

russdev (9th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    We use Specops GPUpdate Professional - about 70 one-off for a user licence (i.e. domain\administrator) and it lets you schedule shutdowns and wake-ups, amongst other things. You can get the free version to have a play but it won't let you schedule anything, but should give you an idea if it's worth it for you. We couldn't live without it here, with it's easy gpupdating and what have you.
    Just having a play with that, looks good. Like the way it integrates with ADUC I'll see how we go on with it and then maybe upgrade to pro.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyc View Post
    Same here, simple batch files to WOL or shutdown for each room, set as scheduled tasks and spaced a few minutes apart.

You can overcome the "hang" of a shutdown script if the PC is already off by just scheduling the WOL script two minutes before.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread