+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Starting new job ICT systems Manager & Facilitator November 5th in General; ...

Thank Post

Smile Starting new job ICT systems Manager & Facilitator November 5th

Hi everyone new here!! ,

So i went to an interview yesterday for a job as ICT systems Manager & Facilitator, i havent looked round the school and at the state of the network yet but i will be looking into it hopefully next week!

Heres my job description:

• Maintain and update the school website, including weekly awards and work.
    • To maintain a good knowledge of school ICT systems and procedures.
    • Troubleshoot in cases where ICT is not functioning and it is within your capabilities.
    • Access and liaise with support partners.
    • Liaise with ICT subject leader.
    • Provide support to teachers and children in ICT lessons (4 afternoons a week).
    • Produce DVDs and still photos of school events when required for display, use in publicity, etc.
    • Data insertion into Target Tracker when required.
    • Support for teaching staff and TAs when problems occur with accessing data.
    • Troubleshoot technical problems in school office.
    • Backup of assessment data for transition to KS3.
    • Procurement and purchasing of new desktops and laptops for students and staff.
    • Acting as a point of contact for ICT related contractors who are working onsite.
    • Maintaining and upgrading physical network infrastructure, including cabling and patch panels.
    • Ensure that the disposal of ICT related equipment complies with the WEEE directive.
    • Keep detailed records of school licensing information to ensure legal compliance.
    • Produce E-Safety resources for parents.
    • Develop hardware, software and the network solutions throughout the school, to meet curriculum and administrative needs.
    • Develop, implement and monitor the schools practices for data protection, internet use, e-mail, security and ICT resource management.
    • Plan and budget for ICT systems development and routine expenditure.
    • Develop curriculum resources to facilitate the use of ICT within the school.
    • Develop the use of a virtual learning environment with the school’s stakeholders
    • The duties above are neither exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder may be required by the Headteacher to carry out appropriate duties within the context of the job, skills and grade.

Anyway few questions-

Firstly - I know that they use CC4 RM so do i ask them to send me on a training course for that asap?
    Second - once i have the budget, how do i plan it? im only 20 and planning budgets is a first for me?
    Third - What sort of things do i put in a E-saftey poster/leaflet? any good websites?
    Fourth - Whats the best virtual learning enivoronment?

Thanks in advance, i look to be a active member on here so look foward to meeting some now people!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Budget planning - book a meeting with the finance team once you're reasonably settled, and talk to them about what you're expected to include. Your top priorities should be reoccurring costs (make sure they're covered), making sure any hardware refreshes are accounted for, and ensuring that you're getting the best value on the items that are included.

Maybe ask for course options?

Esafety posters etc, have a look in the esafety forum: I know the smoothwall guys quite often provide good advice/resources along these lines.

VLEs being 'best' is very subjective - really you want to look at what they want to get from it, and balance that with your own skillset, as you'll obviously need to administer/support it.

Anyway, good luck, and hope you get a lot of value from being an edugeek member :-)

Thank Post
    Okay Cool! so like printers, general ware and tear all need to be accounted for?

Okay ill ask about courses

ill give the esaftey thread a look

again i havent had a look yet so dont know what sort of thing is needed.

Thanks alot!! will be good to track my progress on here

Thank Post
    With my budget i split it into 4 areas. Consumables, Licence Agreements, Maintenance, Development. Ask to look at past invoices if you can to try and see what was spent last year so you can have a rough idea of what you should be spending this year. Once you can cut down the consumables you can increase the development pot! In my 7 years here my consumables spend has gone from £14k to £4.5!!

I also keep a photocopy of every invoice that i pay for as the finance teams have a habit of putting the it teaching invoices on my budget so when i get print offs of my reaming budget every couple of months i can check that all the invoices are mine!!

I was 18 when i took over running my network and supporting 3 primary schools as well. I know there are a fair few people on here who also ran schools at a young age.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -sweet- View Post
    Firstly - I know that they use CC4 RM so do i ask them to send me on a training course for that asap?
    Yes, that is a very good idea.
    Although you can read the manual and pick up how it works, the RM course is well worth attending.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Speak to @elsiegee40 re e-safety. She is a guru about these things and can really help you.
    There are also numerous examples of AUPs, policies, informal agreements etc on use of IT on here too which will be of help.
    What size school is it? Can you visit other local schools to see how VLE's work and which one might suit you best?
    Last edited by witch; 1st October 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Thank Post
    On e-safety it'll be well worth having a discussion with the school's Child Protection officer (who might or might not be the Head Teacher) and also with the Personal and Social Education/Citizenship leader.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,742 Posts
    With regard to e-Safety... don't try to do it on your own; there's no point reinventing wheels. There is plenty of stuff out there. Our own eSafety forum has a loads of resources on it. Ask on here if there's anything specific you need... someone will probably already have something that you can use as a template

Register with ThinkUknow as a teacher to get hold of CEOP eSafety materials. Try to get yourself on a ThinkUKnow course as soon as possible. It will give you a valuable insight into the school's role in eSafety and what you can do to help the school with safeguarding... They also teach you how to present eSafety to the young people! Your LA may have someone who can help, or you can book a course through the ThinkUKnow website.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies!! going into the school in half term to get introduced to the network etc! Anything i should sort of do over the first week?? Like specific things? Thanks!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Locate all the install media and lock them away in a place only you (and senior management) have access too!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,742 Posts
    First week: Make sure you go in the staff room for a coffee every break and lunch time. Introduce yourself to EVERYONE. Go and have a gossip at regular intervals with the admin staff when they're not bogged down with kids, teachers and phone calls. Be friendly and listen to what they're saying.

Make people know who you are, what you do, when you do it and how to contact you. DO NOT give them your personal email and/or phone/mobile number. If there's no help desk system, implement one immediately and insist that you cannot work without people logging jobs through it.

There will be clues to what you need to do from what they talk about... it might be as basic as training on how to operate a mains electricity switch

Find the paperwork, find the CDs/DVDs and install media on the network. Find out where the toners and projector bulbs are. Find out how you go about ordering supplies... what will make your finance officer happy, not 'the way it was always done'.

DO NOT do anything even slightly major, unless you have to, for a good 3 months... i.e. when you've had chance to get to understand the foibles of what you've inherited .
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 1st October 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes, as Elsie said. Do NOT touch or change anything for the first few weeks until you know how everything ties together. Some networks can be like a house of cards. Take one bit away and the whole lot may fall in.
    You can use this time to map and document the network if there is currently no such information available.

Thank Post
    Welcome to Edugeek!
    I started off as a part time IT Tech at the secondary school when I was 17, still working there now five years later alongside two primaries who offered me jobs. I must be doing something right!
    It's a very rewarding experience, you will learn at least one new thing every day. Make sure you write each one down in either a book or a private blog.

Thank Post
    Brillaint thanks for the advice! Cant wait to start!!

Could someone Compile me a list of things i should do bullet pointing them so i can add to it and take it with me on the first day and keep it in my office?

Thanks Guys!!
    Last edited by -sweet-; 2nd October 2012 at 11:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Inside Government - E-Safety

This might be good to learn about current developments in the UK e-Safety world at the moment, if you can get the funding. Costs about 275 quid I think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast