+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Handing over a school to network manager or technician? in General; I have a school I am handing over to other parties, I was brought in to bring their systems into ...

Thank Post

Handing over a school to network manager or technician?

I have a school I am handing over to other parties, I was brought in to bring their systems into the 21st century. In short I have finished and am trying to work out who they should be looking for to replace me...

There's about 150 machines running vista-7 inc laptops
    There's nearly 40 iOS devices
    There's 3 servers hosting our VMware cluster that does everything the school needs on 4*2008r2 and FreeBSD
    A couple of chunky NAS boxes.
    And associated printers scanners etc.

It takes me about 4-7 hours a week to keep things running smoothly while dealing with the teachers questions/ training as well.

So should they be looking for a network engineer/ manager or a technician any idea of pay band etc? They want someone separate from other schools as it was grouping up for tech support that got them in the huge mess I came in on a year ago.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    In my opinion short term you can get a Tech, long term I would say its a no go.

18K+ NM I would say.

This place went down hill when the NM left and no one had a clue how to operate the servers let alone run backups. E.g Exchange Server filling up with the logs - were being manually deleted! Windows updates, Virus protection wasnt being done (athough thats common sense now). Software was being installed on the main PDC even if it was for testing or tom dick or harry software.....

Difference to today though is we dont have up to 200 machines and 3 servers, we have up to 1000 and 15 servers. Managed printers, EPO, Projectors in every class room, whiteboards etc etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillyn View Post
    It takes me about 4-7 hours a week to keep things running smoothly while dealing with the teachers questions/ training as well.
    It sounds like you have a well-organised, modern system, running how it should do. Whoever you hand over to, make sure you budget / plan plenty of time for you to explain how you've set everything up and how everything works so it all keeps running as smoothly as it is at the moment. I'd guess you might be able to hire a reasonably bright recent graduate and have them do some other job as well - part-time teaching assistant, caretaker, etc.

Thank Post
    Bearing in mind you mention FreeBSD, and iOS devices (are these managed by MDM or not?)... this needs to be someone with a flexible knowledge of various platforms. Does it also involve running a managed wireless system and voip?

It all sounds a bit much to ask of a Tech on 18k... I'd be wafting 24k around a bit, with a "Senior ICT Tech" style title, or 28k+ for a Network Manager.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread