+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Printers in General; Hi, I have just ordered RM CC3 for our new block. Having looked at many different systems (including a custom ...

Thank Post

Printers

Hi,

I have just ordered RM CC3 for our new block. Having looked at many different systems (including a custom network), we thought RM is the best solutions for support etc.

Now it is time to look at printers. We print a lot of photographs for students portfolios, as this is our main evidence indiciator.

Which colour lasers would you recommend? Please pay attention to costs etc.

What printers are other schools using?

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: Printers

We have a number of HP Colour LaserJet 4600's throughout the school - I recommend these based on time efficiency and lack of maintenance required.

Cost-wise they are quite expensive for heavy use - toners are about usual HP price, and what I particularly like is that there is no huge difference between black and separate colours. Magenta in particular is very heavily used, based on the usual composition of colour print-outs.

Maintenance wise - I had to replace a transfer kit on 1 of the printers recently, I think after 100,000 pages. Very easy to replace, and the printer was back in service within minutes.

I've just realised the 4600 has been replaced with the 4700 - I guess there isn't much difference!

We also have an Epson Aculaser C4000 - my colleagues particularly like this one due to quality etc. My view of this printer has changed recently, when I realised just how much money is spent supplying toner for it. The black toner cartridge is about £35 - each colour on the otherhand is £130. It's only used infrequently compared to the HPs but it seems to eat toner!

An option you may want to look into is colour photocopiers.

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Same here... have several 4600s but new colour lasers are 4700s. Very good printers.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB_NI
    Magenta in particular is very heavily used, based on the usual composition of colour print-outs.
    Somebody printing alot of flesh? :P

Thank Post

Glad someone asked this as I was going to ask the same thing in the next few days.

Except the above mentioned printer is £799.99 from Misco (HP 4700). As we are a primary school, we cannot afford this.

Is there any other recommendations?

Plus cost of running will be a major factor.

(sorry if I'm seen to be hijacking this thread... I thought I'd put it in here as they are very similar topics).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A lot of the primary schools we support have renewed their photocopier contract. They have removed their old B/W Photocopier and had it replaced with a Colour photocopier with network printing support. This will certainly be the cheapest option as far as running costs go.

If you want a cheap and cheerful colour printer though, I'd suggest the HP Colour LaserJet 2600n or even the HP Business InkJet 1200Dtwn. However beware, if they get used a lot they will chew through a lot of (expensive) consumables.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I have to disagree with the 4600 comment, we have 5 of these in total, and out of them I have 2 which are practically dead, one needs a new formatter board in it (so basically its entire brains) and the other randomly locks its EIO ports up so that is another new formatter for it. The things cost far too much to run with toners around £130 and nearly £100 for blacks, and they are just not worth it, worst printer out there.

I won't buy them again, I have Samsung colour lasers for small use areas, and larger areas are made to walk or request a colour copier instead, most are very very happy with the copier and its miles cheaper to run and less hassle.

Thank Post

For those considering inkjets instead, the HP K5400 and L7680 (or L7780) for multifunctionals are pretty good quality and right now there are money back offers (for another week).

Just a thought...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    A lot of the primary schools we support have renewed their photocopier contract. They have removed their old B/W Photocopier and had it replaced with a Colour photocopier with network printing support. This will certainly be the cheapest option as far as running costs go.
    Which colour photocopiers did they get? I'll try and get the school to go along this route.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would go for the Epson Acculaser C2600. Good reliable workhorse. Consumables are reasonable too.

If you fancy a multifunction device the Epson CX11 is excellent also.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I am a Toshiba Copier Fan, they work well for me and up here in Yorkshire / Lancashire and we have an excellent company in The Arena Group who are the largest Toshiba Dealer in the UK and cover Yorkshire / Lancashire area and others. www.arenagroup.net is the website. I have personally used in terms of colour machines a Toshiba E-Studio 3511, 4511, 281 & 351. All of them are great machines, great support and a very powerful bit of kit. I have used a lot of B&W machines as well but were are not talking B&W here but if you want to know more just pm me and I can give you contact details of our account manager and let you know more. I only recomend Toshiba & Arena in this area because managing 12 copiers in a school where the staff and children like to "assist" in fixing them means I need good support when it goes wrong, and I have that from Arena, not that Toshiba copiers go too badly wrong!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Which colour photocopiers did they get? I'll try and get the school to go along this route.
    The last one that was done was a Sharp MX-2300N Colour Photocopier.

http://www.sharpinbusiness.co.uk/pro...code=MX2300NFK

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread