+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Workload. What it used to be and what we do now. in General; I think one of the differences is that I am not viewed as pond scum (no disrespect intended) I am ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Workload. What it used to be and what we do now.

I think one of the differences is that I am not viewed as pond scum (no disrespect intended)

I am in the strange place of being Manglement, but still with an idea about beinga techie / NM (and I constantly have to remember to let the team get on with it ... thank heavens that Spot is understanding)

It does mean that I am able to speak with people at County or SST or Becta and get a human response. This is one of the reasons why Russ and I are so happy to have a chance to do stuff with SST, to actually put across the point of view of the poor sod that has to make things work.

But yes, I do know what you mean about being left to pick up the pieces ... I was never happy about that, but I was lucky enough to find the right people to speak to and get them to do most of the talking for me to other people.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

years ago when had 3 nt servers, 1 ms proxy & 1 exchange, 300 95/2k workstations maybe 20 laptops I had time to tweak the network, install software, think up innovative ways of doing things, make webstuff.

Nowadays got 3 win2k server, 2 print servers, the same exchange server lol, 1 isa server, 1 ghost server, 1 backupserver, 1 linux intranet/squid server
    about 650 workstations, 160 laptops and i can not keep ontop of the stuff only I know how to do(been there longest) never mind making new stuff. Got 4 techs, me, 1 that does mostly primary school support and general stuff and 2 that do imaging most of the time. mostly windows breaking/going wrong for no apparent reason.

dunno where we've gone wrong. slowly but surely things are working less and less well and
    perhaps its the consequence of having to repeatedly hire kids from uni with barely any relevant experience and then have them leave when they know stuff. The network is vastly more complicated than it used to be but we're like reinventing the wheel every 1-2 years.

Thank Post

I am very fortunate at my school.

Having started in Jan 2003 as a part time technician working in the corner of a library I have grdaually seeen my hours/salary/environment improve in line with the added increase in the IT infrastructure.

I am a one man band here and currently have one 2003 PDC server, one 2003 SQL server, one 2003 ISA server, and a Espresso server.

160 network machines, 10 standalones, 7 whiteboards, 30 teachers laptops, 9 projectors, digtial cameras and other odds and ends such as data logging and control equipment.

I am also in control of the ICT/Curriculum budget, the infrastructure budget and the ELearning budget. (I have the power )

I thoroughly enjoy my work and don't get paid what I am worth, BUT I do get paid a decent wage and can claim over time when needed.

I can also attend conferences, eh um, roll on Manchester 2006.

I am now at a point where I am getting snowed under and we have reviewed my workload and getting 1/2 a technician. This will happen if any bolt ons are added this or next year

My school is famtastic and the kids are lovely, and no you can't have my job.

Thank Post

@alexknight:
    I am now at a point where I am getting snowed under and we have reviewed my workload and getting 1/2 a technician. This will happen if any bolt ons are added this or next year
    Would this be the top or bottom half and will the bolt-ons be done in a Frankenstein sort of way?

Thank Post

1/2 technicians come in very handy when we have to carry out network cabling through the low ceiling voids.

We have bolt ons at our school as you have to be nuts to work here ''

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information