+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Islam and depictions of Muhammad in General; Also from the link above... The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    Also from the link above...

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it — Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring — Carl Sagan

Thank Post
    Went shopping in Birmingham city centre on Saturday, there was a "religious" group protesting against this video outside the bullring....
    I can tell you 90% of people just laughed at how pathetic it was and walked passed... The video was made in the USA - not in England/Birmingham! so why protest there? No other reason than an excuse to start trouble IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    What, a religious thread finishing after 7 pages, thought there would be another 20 or so to go
    The further in we get the more posts will be commenting on the length of the thread "Is this still going on". In some threads of several thousand posts it must get to the point where that's all there is...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    In some threads of several thousand posts it must get to the point where that's all there is...
    And "Godwin's law".

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    Went shopping in Birmingham city centre on Saturday, there was a "religious" group protesting against this video outside the bullring....
    I can tell you 90% of people just laughed at how pathetic it was and walked passed... The video was made in the USA - not in England/Birmingham! so why protest there? No other reason than an excuse to start trouble IMO.
    Some people have to be angry at something...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    And "Godwin's law".
    ... which was funny up until the first few million times it was posted on forums. I hereby invoke Jinnantonnixx's law which proclaims that “As a group/forum discussion grows longer, the probability of the invocation of Godwin's law approaches one.”

Thank Post
    No other reason than an excuse to start trouble IMO.
    No other reason? Surely, people have a right to avail themselves of their freedoms. Exercising their right to free speech and protest is a good enough reason.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No other reason? Surely, people have a right to avail themselves of their freedoms. Exercising their right to free speech and protest is a good enough reason.
    Usually, protest has a reason. You protest outside a business because they're doing something you think is wrong. You protest outside an embassy because you think that country is doing something wrong.

What does protesting in the middle of Birmingham, about a film made by an idiot in the USA have to do with anything of any relevance?

Rights come with responsibilities, and so far, those are being ignored by many...
    Last edited by localzuk; 24th September 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Also from the link above...
    Nice quotes but I think the are value judgements on a world view and they miss an important aspect of life : it's possible to like (or dislike) cheese. Not everything is reducible to some universal truth. I like cheese. My brother does not like cheese. There is no right or wrong about this, no need for me to prove anything or provide any evidence other than my statement. The cheese world-view of me and my brother might seem diametrically opposed, but they are both equally valid.

To some extent faith should be like this. It's faith because there is no objective evidence, so someone believes essentially because they like to. They like that world view and no one can really argue with 'like'. If there is conflict and lack of respect with atheist/rational viewpoints it's actually coming from religious believers for whom 'like' is not enough. They want to pretend there is evidence or rationale, they want to argue that the existence of say, god, is a universal truth rather than a personal one. That is a certain route to 'conflict'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Usually, protest has a reason.
    Usually? I'd say that protest always has a reason. The question is do I know the reason, do I understand the reason and maybe finally, do I agree with the reasons? However, interesting as those questions are, they are beside the point that people do have a right to protest regardless of what I might think of that. Characterising the protesters as troublemakers tells us everything about the writers opinions but little about the opinions of the protesters. I don't particularly think the film about Mohamed is very good (or a good idea) but I don't question the right of someone to make that. Are these western freedoms only for non Muslims?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are these western freedoms only for non Muslims?
    Yes. Yes they are. [Not serious!]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Usually? I'd say that protest always has a reason. The question is do I know the reason, do I understand the reason and maybe finally, do I agree with the reasons? However, interesting as those questions are, they are beside the point that people do have a right to protest regardless of what I might think of that. Characterising the protesters as troublemakers tells us everything about the writers opinions but little about the opinions of the protesters. I don't particularly think the film about Mohamed is very good (or a good idea) but I don't question the right of someone to make that. Are these western freedoms only for non Muslims?
    When the entire wave of 'protests' has lead to deaths and violence, then the right to protest is diminished. Much like with animal rights protest, a bunch of illegal stuff happened, and therefore the entire movement came under scrutiny.

Also, your comments are kinda odd, as none of us have said they shouldn't have the right to protest, just that their protests are, well, dumb.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,793 Posts
    I can tell you 90% of people just laughed at how pathetic it was
    And I bet quite a few of those were Muslims. Don't forget that the press tend only to show the bad stuff. Many Muslims, both private citizens and those in various governments, have condemned the protests. Only we never see that stuff, do we?

14. Thanks to witch from:

LosOjos (24th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Only we never see that stuff, do we?
    And in news today, a bunch of people said "we don't really care about the offensive anti-muslim video circulating on the internet".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    And I bet quite a few of those were Muslims. Don't forget that the press tend only to show the bad stuff. Many Muslims, both private citizens and those in various governments, have condemned the protests. Only we never see that stuff, do we?
    thats not just a relegious thing the "news" is almost all bad stuff happening 3 teenagers shot in pub brawl is much much more likely to make page 1 than 3 teenagers help rebuild old peoples houses after flooding

17. 2 Thanks to sted:

LosOjos (24th September 2012), witch (24th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast