+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Islam and depictions of Muhammad in General; Originally Posted by Earthling Absolutely, completely agree with you. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take an evolutionary step forward ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Absolutely, completely agree with you. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take an evolutionary step forward to a higher form of human being. Homo Superior or something of that name.
    I think the next stage in human evolution (a bit terminator-sh) is some kind of android/robotic lifeform. Our bodies are far too weak and short to make proper exploration of just a few nearby star systems practical without it, let alone our galaxy. Without that kind evolutionary/technological advance one day our sun will greatly expand and take us with it. Any arguments about religion will be a little unimportant when that happens. (assuming we don't other wise annihilate ourselves/the panet in the millions of years before then).

While following it avidly, I'm staying largely out of this discussion. Religious extremity disturbs me deeply, as do the the people who indulge in it.
    So, are you implying that by having this discussion we are religious fanatics?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Just listen to the way Richard Dawkins, for example, speaks to and about religious people; he clearly sees them as total idiots. Of course I'm not suggesting he literally wants to shake them in to submission, don't be so literal!
    To be fair hes dragged on TV to debate facts against some very idiotic people (Bill O'Reilly is a perfect example) trying to use logic against someone that defies logic. Its like talking to a brick wall and the most patent of people would get angry at that at some point.

Christianity committed atrocious war crimes in its earlier years and the majority of those were against Muslim country's, its no wonder they don't exactly see eye to eye, Would be better off without organised religion imho.

Thank Post
    Israel will have attacked Iran by the end of next month, starting things off.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    To be fair hes dragged on TV to debate facts against some very idiotic people (Bill O'Reilly is a perfect example) trying to use logic against someone that defies logic. ....
    Oh, Bill O'Reilly - this guy gives idiots a bad name. He has his own meme - tides go in, tides go out. He was interviewing* Dave Silverman when he said "Tides go in, tides go out - you can't explain that", as if that was proof of God. Dave Silverman was stunned - you can see his face when the magnitude of O'Reilly's ignorance dawned on him.

*O'Reilly doesn't interview people. He asks them a question, interrupts the start of their answer then spouts his own opinion. He interrupted Barak Obama - yes, the president - 48 times during an interview. He's a rude and obnoxious man.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 21st September 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Oh, Bill O'Reilly - this guy gives idiots a bad name. He has his own meme - tides go in, tides go out. He was interviewing* Dave Silverman when he said "Tides go in, tides go out - you can't explain that", as if that was proof of God. Dave Silverman was stunned - you can see his face when the magnitude of O'Reilly's ignorance dawned on him.

*O'Reilly doesn't interview people. He asks them a question, interrupts the start of their answer then spouts his own opinion.
    He said the same thing to Richard Dawkins, also added the sun goes up the sun goes down for good measure!

Bill O'Reilly SCARED by Richard Dawkins - YouTube

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    To be fair hes dragged on TV to debate facts against some very idiotic people (Bill O'Reilly is a perfect example) trying to use logic against someone that defies logic. Its like talking to a brick wall and the most patent of people would get angry at that at some point.

Christianity committed atrocious war crimes in its earlier years and the majority of those were against Muslim country's, its no wonder they don't exactly see eye to eye, Would be better off without organised religion imho.
    As an atheist, I think Richard Dawkins gives the rest of us a bad name. I don't like his aggressive attitude. I understand how infuriating it can be to try to argue scientific fact against religion, but most of us learnt to have an intelligent debate without being rude or disrespectful years ago.

He's a very intelligent man and I do enjoy reading his books in spite of the fact I disagree with his black and white outlook on the world and religion in general. I just find the man incredibly disrespectful, he antagonises religious hatred! I understand his points on the world being a better place without organised religion, although I'm not sure it would make much difference, people will always find an excuse to wage war. I understand his disgust at the various vile acts that have been done in the name of religion, but it does not give him a right to treat people with utter disdain just because they're religious; that's exactly what causes extremism in the first place.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 21st September 2012 at 01:41 PM.

7. Thanks to LosOjos from:

witch (21st September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    <SNIP>

So, are you implying that by having this discussion we are religious fanatics?
    I'm not implying anything. I stated my point of view, that's all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    I'm not implying anything. I stated my point of view, that's all.
    Be careful! Without documentary evidence and sources, that can get you lynched around here!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    As an atheist, I think Richard Dawkins gives the rest of us a bad name. I don't like his aggressive attitude. I understand how infuriating it can be to try to argue scientific fact against religion, but most of us grew out of name calling and bickering when we were teenagers.
    Where exactly has he "named called" or "bickered"? It's all very well throwing these rhetorical accusations around, but so far your evidence for them is zero. Or hey, perhaps you didn't mean that literally??

And how exactly are his views "extreme"? Seems to me people say his views are extreme because he's actually prepared to speak up for what he believes in. He's not as far as I can tell disrespectful, but nothing compels him to respect the views of someone who believes in invisible fairies. That's perhaps too subtle a difference though, so hell, let's just be lazy and label him an extremist.

Thank Post
    @LosOjos

Never reveal your sources.

My Dad told me that years ago.
    Last edited by Earthling; 21st September 2012 at 01:51 PM.

12. Thanks to Earthling from:

LosOjos (21st September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Where exactly has he "named called" or "bickered"? It's all very well throwing these rhetorical accusations around, but so far your evidence for them is zero. Or hey, perhaps you didn't mean that literally??

And how exactly are his views "extreme"? Seems to me people say his views are extreme because he's actually prepared to speak up for what he believes in. He's not as far as I can tell disrespectful, but nothing compels him to respect the views of someone who believes in invisible fairies. That's perhaps too subtle a difference though, so hell, let's just be lazy and label him an extremist.
    I reworded my post as I knew what I said was a bit harsh, and that you'd be along to try to pull my points apart without making any of your own (isn't that the definition of a troll?)

Without further ado, I give you evidence of Dawkins' arrogance and disrespect:
    The Best Richard Dawkins Moment Ever!!! - YouTube

Granted, that's only one example, but I do wonder whether you've actually read any of his books?

Thank Post
    @pcstru if you have a point to make, please, make it. Contribute to this debate. But if you're just going to keep trying to antagonise me with your passive-aggressive quotes of my posts, I'm going to ignore you. It's getting old, fast.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I think the next stage in human evolution (a bit terminator-sh) is some kind of android/robotic lifeform. Our bodies are far too weak and short to make proper exploration of just a few nearby star systems practical without it, let alone our galaxy. Without that kind evolutionary/technological advance one day our sun will greatly expand and take us with it. Any arguments about religion will be a little unimportant when that happens. (assuming we don't other wise annihilate ourselves/the panet in the millions of years before then).
    when i opened this thread i read that this could get messy but i never imagined i would be reading about an android/robotic life form.

surely a iOS6/robotic life form would have more people excited?

16. Thanks to jumpinjamez from:

tmcd35 (21st September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjamez View Post
    when i opened this thread i read that this could get messy but i never imagined i would be reading about an android/robotic life form.

There's no way on this Earth I'd let Apple install anything in my body, "evolution" be damned!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjamez View Post

Probably, but then every 4th or 5th generation would be completely incompatible with it's forebears.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast