+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Islam and depictions of Muhammad in General; Originally Posted by zag The main problem is these normal moderate Muslims of which I agree are the vast majority ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    The main problem is these normal moderate Muslims of which I agree are the vast majority never come out and publicly denounce it.

If they did then the world would be a much better place I think.

There is a strange silence from them each time the next atrocity comes along and I really don't get why.
    Perhaps I watch too many conspiracy videos on YouTube, but it seems that the public denouncing of these atrocities is somewhat pushed under the rug. Religious leaders do indeed come forward and denounce the atrocities committed in the name of their religion, we just rarely hear it above the din of name calling and finger pointing.

All religious extremists, regardless of their religion, make this world a much more dangerous and horrifying place to live.

I also disagree with the "extreme atheists" (granted, no atrocities have been committed by them yet!) who believe that everybody with religious beliefs is a damn fool and should be shook until they denounce all faith. Faith itself is not a problem, it is when people take their faith and force it on to others or judge others by it that it becomes a problem in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Perhaps I watch too many conspiracy videos on YouTube, but it seems that the public denouncing of these atrocities is somewhat pushed under the rug. Religious leaders do indeed come forward and denounce the atrocities committed in the name of their religion, we just rarely hear it above the din of name calling and finger pointing.

All religious extremists, regardless of their religion, make this world a much more dangerous and horrifying place to live.

I also disagree with the "extreme atheists" (granted, no atrocities have been committed by them yet!) who believe that everybody with religious beliefs is a damn fool and should be shook until they denounce all faith. Faith itself is not a problem, it is when people take their faith and force it on to others or judge others by it that it becomes a problem in my opinion.
    Thank the media/govt for that one. Nothing brings a society of angry humans together like a common enemy and if they are all worrying about that then they are not paying too close attention to what is going on at home.

I agree that all religious extremists are a problem magnified by the lenses of societies looking for a scapegoat to capture the publics malice so that it is not directed inward or upward at their own governments.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing I find interesting about it all is that if the beliefs of religious people were described without 'religion' then the believers would fall within a number of mental illnesses...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The thing I find interesting about it all is that if the beliefs of religious people were described without 'religion' then the believers would fall within a number of mental illnesses...
    Very true! Although most religious bods won't walk down the street talking to their god(s) out loud; they'd look crazy!

Thank Post
    extreme atheists, that's what Dawkins has become, he went from having a valid view to becoming just another extremist.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I give you the gift of uncertainty, you may/may not wake up in the afterlife and meet a nice black cat that used to belong to the imagination of a nice man names Schrodinger
    Just want to be clear - does this mean the cat was dead?

Thank Post
    I don't care what anyone says, NOTHING justifies the killing innocent civilians.

They are sick, twisted people - nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by BassTech; 20th September 2012 at 02:52 PM.

8. 3 Thanks to BassTech:

ButterflyMoon (21st September 2012), localzuk (20th September 2012), zag (20th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Just want to be clear - does this mean the cat was dead?
    Now that all depends of the beliefs of the observer, to be fair it was never really alive to start with as it was all in his head but that goes along with the subject matter anyway :P - sorry, couldn't resist

Thank Post
    I also disagree with the "extreme atheists" (granted, no atrocities have been committed by them yet!) who believe that everybody with religious beliefs is a damn fool
    Ok, with you up to that point.
    and should be shook until they denounce all faith.
    But ... your evidence that anyone is demanding this is ...?
    Faith itself is not a problem, it is when people take their faith and force it on to others or judge others by it that it becomes a problem in my opinion.
    But belief without action would be ... apart from anything else, not credible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Now that all depends of the beliefs of the observer, to be fair it was never really alive to start with as it was all in his head but that goes along with the subject matter anyway :P - sorry, couldn't resist
    Ha-ha, I miss-read this in iSpy. Thought you were replying to @Lee91's post...

NOTHING justifies the killing innocent civilians
    Now that all depends of the beliefs of the observer

12. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

BatchFile (20th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    But ... your evidence that anyone is demanding this is ...?
    Just listen to the way Richard Dawkins, for example, speaks to and about religious people; he clearly sees them as total idiots. Of course I'm not suggesting he literally wants to shake them in to submission, don't be so literal!

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    But belief without action would be ... apart from anything else, not credible.
    It's a perfectly reasonable proposition to believe in something without seeing fit to harm/kill somebody who doesn't believe the same thing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just listen to the way Richard Dawkins, for example, speaks to and about religious people; he clearly sees them as total idiots. Of course I'm not suggesting he literally wants to shake them in to submission, don't be so literal!
    I don't see a problem with him having disdain for religious people - he doesn't use this to actually attack them, just write books and talk in interviews etc... I hold disdain for various groups, nothing wrong with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't see a problem with him having disdain for religious people - he doesn't use this to actually attack them, just write books and talk in interviews etc... I hold disdain for various groups, nothing wrong with it.
    It's his attitude towards all religious people I don't like. Not everybody who is religious is responsible for or even supports the atrocities committed in that particular religions name just as not every German is responsible for the two World Wars or the various horrors surrounding those (though to listen to some people, you'd think they were!).

In lowering himself to attacking an entire group of people based solely on their religion, he's doing nothing but inciting yet more hatred in the name of religion [ironically!]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Ha-ha, I miss-read this in iSpy. Thought you were replying to @Lee91's post...
    Classic - that was not my intention.

On that note though this all gets quite philosophical quite quickly with regards to killing of the innocent. Yes I agree that it is wrong and bad but the world is not perfect. Large amounts of civilians were killed in world wars to prevent greater genocides, it quickly descends into needs of the many weighed against the needs of the few and un-crossable lines that end up being crossed for survival. Its not a binary thing but rather a constantly changing border as to what is right and what is justified created by the many.

In this and many other situations certainly killing the innocent civilians is unjustified but at a different time in a different set of circumstances may even have been a necessity.

The truly dangerous thing in a constantly changing and adapting society is absolutes, this is the one true god for everyone and it is unarguable for example. This perceived truth does not adapt and so quickly becomes dangerous as for those that will not allow for the possibility of it being disproved end up stuck applying an absolute from a different time and environment to a situation that it may be entirely unsuited for.

Right and wrong themselves as a fixed concept is extremism.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's his attitude towards all religious people I don't like. Not everybody who is religious is responsible for or even supports the atrocities committed in that particular religions name just as not every German is responsible for the two World Wars or the various horrors surrounding those (though to listen to some people, you'd think they were!).

In lowering himself to attacking an entire group of people based solely on their religion, he's doing nothing but inciting yet more hatred in the name of religion [ironically!]
    I can see his point though - if those moderate religious people didn't exist, then there couldn't be any extremists doing stupid things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast