+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, Apple iPhone 5(?) Announcement in General; In other news, the iPhone 5 has been jailbroken ....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    In other news, the iPhone 5 has been jailbroken.

Thank Post
    I instantly regretted updating mine to 6 on Thursday night, the google map showed my location at home precisely and all versions of the map worked, whereas with the new "apple" maps my house was in the midst of a grey/brown field with no definition, this is in an urban area as well :/

Honest to god I think iOS6 is the absolute worst thing apple have done to the iPhone in the short time that I have had one (7 months into a 4S here), on top of maps instantly becoming crap, my battery life has now started tanking on the phone, last night when I got home from work, my battery was on 7%, averages around 40-50% normally % when I get home on any normal day and yesterday in work was fairly quiet compared to most days also.

We berate M$ for some of the stuff they do, but I just cant see how apple would release something that's clearly untested as a whole, especially if you buy into their whole "Quality User Experience" ethos.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 22nd September 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: post was reflective of the day I drafted it on

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What's up with them? My contract is £46 less 25% so it comes out at about £35.

Last month I sent 17,000 texts (not sure how but I did!) and used about 700 minutes. Now I don't do that every month but for £35 I'd say I have had my moneys worth?

Edit: Oh and used 2GB data too.
    I didn't think you had that many friends daniel ;-) you been texting the hotlines again? :P hehe!

17,000 texts LOL!

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I wouldn't have an iPhone as my main phone if you paid me but I have found a use for one in the car.

I bought a 3G on the cheap a few years back and after much jailbreaking and UI tweaking have it running TomTom whilst hooked up to an Alpine iDA-X305S HU... gives me the holy grail of TomTom through all 4 speakers but only cuts in occasionally for directions whilst I have control of MP3s via the iPhone control on the HU. Audio quality is top notch being Alpine and satnav is top notch with TomTom.

I can't find any other solution on the market that combines the best of both worlds (normal satnavs aren't much use for me as I like amped speakers these days and I usually can't hear a portable TomTom over the music )
    It does work very well! I use my iPhone in the car all the time for MP3/SatNav and I have BOSE Premium Sound System and it's amazing! I have a Windows Phone too for work and that also works just as good!

J

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    You literally can't find a single square mile that isn't botched.
    North Korea must be the only place on Earth where the iOS 6 maps are better than Google's.

Thank Post
    Apple had over a year left on Google Maps contract, Google scrambling to build iOS app « The Verge

Apple's decision to ship its own mapping system in the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 was made over a year before the company's agreement to use Google Maps expired, according to two independent sources familiar with the matter. The decision, made sometime before Apple's WWDC event in June, sent Google scrambling to develop an iOS Google Maps app — an app which both sources say is still incomplete and currently not scheduled to ship for several months.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Then why is the google app (which was leaked onto Cydia) ready to go and working better than apple maps? lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Then why is the google app (which was leaked onto Cydia) ready to go and working better than apple maps? lol
    Because their scrambling is better than Apples best efforts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Then why is the Google app (which was leaked onto Cydia) ready to go and working better than Apple maps?
    The Google Maps app is an old version taken from iOS 5.1. It's not completely stable on iOS 6 yet either.

Last edited by Arthur; 27th September 2012 at 08:36 AM.

Thank Post
    On the Timing of Apple’s Map Switch

If you think about it, it makes strategic sense that, if Apple were going to break out on its own for mapping data, they would do so while there was significant time remaining on the maps license with Google. iOS is on a more or less annual development schedule. iOS 6 just arrived last week. iOS 7 is probably not coming until a year from now, and even if it’s on a more aggressive schedule, Apple would surely seek the luxury of having the option to wait until a year from now to ship it.

An all-new maps back-end is the sort of feature that Apple would only want to ship in a major new OS release. Technically, they could roll such a thing out in a 6.1 or 6.2 update, but major changes — and I think everybody can agree this has been a major change, for users and app developers alike — should be delivered only in major new OS updates.

But if the old agreement between Apple and Google expired in the first half of 2013 (which, again, my own sources familiar with the matter agree to be the case), that means the deal was set to expire halfway through the expected year-long life cycle for iOS 6. If Apple had stuck with Google Maps for another year they would have been forced to renegotiate with Google in a situation where both sides at the table would know that Apple either (a) had to agree to whatever terms Google demanded to extend the deal; or (b) would be forced to swap the mapping back-end of iOS 6 midway through its development cycle.1 However tumultuous a change this has been in iOS 6.0, it would have proven more tumultuous and controversial if Apple had been forced by failed contract negotiations to squeeze it into a 6.1 or 6.2 update come May. And, that would have forced Apple to devote significant engineering resources for an iOS 6 update that could otherwise have been applied to iOS 7. Big changes come in the major release; bug fixes, security updates, and minor improvements come in post-major-release .x updates.

Whatever chance there was for Apple and Google to agree to a longer-term deal for iOS to continue using Google Maps, the effective deadline for Apple to make that decision was earlier this year, not next year when the existing deal expired. Apple wasn’t going to wait to negotiate until their backs were to the wall with the currently-shipping version of iOS reliant on Google Maps when the old deal expired.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456