+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Apple iPhone 5(?) Announcement in General; Ipad HU looks awesome but it wouldnt work in my car sadly. Ebay hmm maybe...CPW (carphone warehouse?) mines the iphone ...

Thank Post
    Ipad HU looks awesome but it wouldnt work in my car sadly. Ebay hmm maybe...CPW (carphone warehouse?) mines the iphone 4 16gb.

Thank Post
    Is it legal to have the iPad as the HU?

17k texts? Explain! Thats over 550 texts a day?? 35 texts an hour if you're awake for 20 of them?
    Really not sure... I didn't look into it too much. I'll see what it comes out at this month. I'm awake for less than 20!
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 16th September 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Damn, even more impressive then!

I've seen someone do an android based HU for a car on a galaxy S2. Decent sized screen was more than enough and it had 64gb of storage on the SD card so plenty of room for music. It used the inbuilt mapping thing for GPS which worked rather well. Ipad seems oversize for that purpose IMO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Is it legal to have the iPad as the HU?

Really not sure... I didn't look into it too much. I'll see what it comes out at this month. I'm awake for less than 20!
    Can I make a suggestion? Use your phone to 'talk'... 17,000 texts could then be reduced down to 20 minutes chatting on the phone...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Can I make a suggestion? Use your phone to 'talk'... 17,000 texts could then be reduced down to 20 minutes chatting on the phone...
    Probably very true!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Use your phone to 'talk'...
    It's good to talk.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I ordered an iPhone 5 today. My 3GS is getting long in the tooth and I've dropped it once too often I think, there's a largish crack by the dock connector and dents on the corners. I expect that when iOS 6 appears, it'll render the phone virtually unusable like iOS4 did with the iPhone 3G.

The main reasons I'm sticking with the iPhone is because I've bought a few too many apps and accessories just to give that all up and buy a phone with an alternative OS. Yes, I'll have to buy a dock adapter with the 5 but at least most of my stuff should work! If I were buying my first smartphone, I'd look hard at the alternatives but since I'm not the iPhone is more than good enough for me and it does what I want it to do. So, you know, yay!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I ordered an iPhone 5 today. My 3GS is getting long in the tooth and I've dropped it once too often I think, there's a largish crack by the dock connector and dents on the corners. I expect that when iOS 6 appears, it'll render the phone virtually unusable like iOS4 did with the iPhone 3G.
    You can look forward to it shattering the first time you drop it with the 5 then...

The main reasons I'm sticking with the iPhone is because I've bought a few too many apps and accessories just to give that all up and buy a phone with an alternative OS. Yes, I'll have to buy a dock adapter with the 5 but at least most of my stuff should work! If I were buying my first smartphone, I'd look hard at the alternatives but since I'm not the iPhone is more than good enough for me and it does what I want it to do. So, you know, yay!
    Is it not just throwing good money after bad though?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

As I know this is something people like to throw at Apple users I thought I would put my tuppence worth in too.

Or as I tend to feel about it, continuing to pay in cash for a system that integrates a phone OS, a desktop/laptop OS and a range of apps and a pretty simple way that allows me to get on with other stuff.

It was never bad money in the first place for me ... and whilst I know there are a range of people who might not agree with me or others, I honestly couldn't care less.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can look forward to it shattering the first time you drop it with the 5 then...
    The iPhone 5 has an aluminium back rather than glass like the 4/4S. I doubt I'd be much more likely to shatter it than I was with my 3GS. It'll be living in a case anyway.

Why? I like my iPhone 3GS, I like iOS and I like my apps and accessories. I use iTunes Match and iCloud which again, I like even with the caveats I've found with them. It does what I want it to do and when I've found something that I want it to do and it can't, there's usually an app that'll do it instead. It'd only be throwing good money after bad if it didn't work. It does work and it works admirably well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Damn, even more impressive then!

I've seen someone do an android based HU for a car on a galaxy S2. Decent sized screen was more than enough and it had 64gb of storage on the SD card so plenty of room for music. It used the inbuilt mapping thing for GPS which worked rather well. Ipad seems oversize for that purpose IMO.
    I wouldn't have an iPhone as my main phone if you paid me but I have found a use for one in the car.

I bought a 3G on the cheap a few years back and after much jailbreaking and UI tweaking have it running TomTom whilst hooked up to an Alpine iDA-X305S HU... gives me the holy grail of TomTom through all 4 speakers but only cuts in occasionally for directions whilst I have control of MP3s via the iPhone control on the HU. Audio quality is top notch being Alpine and satnav is top notch with TomTom.

I can't find any other solution on the market that combines the best of both worlds (normal satnavs aren't much use for me as I like amped speakers these days and I usually can't hear a portable TomTom over the music )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    My boss has a copy of IOS 6 on this 4S at the moment - And now Apple have dropped google maps don't try and use it for navigation or getting around.

Note the location of Uckfield changes on these maps

IOS
    Apple iPhone 5(?) Announcement-uckfieldios6.jpg
    Google
    Apple iPhone 5(?) Announcement-googlemaps.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apple iPhone 5(?) Announcement-googlemaps.png  
    Last edited by glennda; 17th September 2012 at 09:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Audio quality is top notch
    The 3G has terrible audio quality! Try a new phone or a CD and you'll notice the difference.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    The 3G has terrible audio quality! Try a new phone or a CD and you'll notice the difference.
    Turn it up loud enough and the speakers can't reproduce the difference anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    My boss has a copy of IOS 6 on this 4S at the moment - and now Apple have dropped Google maps don't try and use it for navigation or getting around.
    Is Uckfield in the wrong place on TomTom's too?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast