+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
General Chat Thread, Blog from PC Pro in General; ...
  1. #1
    teky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South west
    Posts
    84
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Blog from PC Pro

    A blog post from PC Pro that I believe would be relevant on here: The school that swapped its laptops for iPads… and wants to switch back | PC Pro blog

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    391
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    32
    Quite interesting. Wonder what school that is

  3. #3

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,303
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 412 Times in 305 Posts
    Rep Power
    163
    Looks like a not quite thought through project though. If you are changing to iPads but staff are clinging to old word documents there are going to be issues. Then to solve this by using a remote app to use word is ingenious but completely inappropriate.

    Not having thought about storage or sharing files seems a huge oversight too. & the reason for iTvs over a cheap cable is because the iTv allows them to be cable free, not having to work with a foot long tether.

    I'd say it is a cautionary tale but not necessarily of not going to iPads

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,677
    Thank Post
    279
    Thanked 782 Times in 609 Posts
    Rep Power
    224
    So the story is "teacher reports that poorly planned projects fail miserably"?

    News at 11.

  5. #5

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,559
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Yeah, clearly not well thought out.

    Love this comment though on that page:

    Quote Originally Posted by @solutions_inc
    So it’s really a software issue and not the iPad itself.
    Yeah, it's software. iOS.

    Many of the problems mentioned could be solved by Android tablets (full support for word, easy drag and drop file management from a desktop, USB sticks [albeit with an adapter]) but I think the point is that tablets are not at a stage yet where they can replace a laptop/desktop PC for anything more than casual use.

  6. #6

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,239
    Thank Post
    882
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    784
    Got to love how they had to replace all of them to figure out it was a stupid idea, how these people end up managing schools...

    Two words, companion device. If you do real work it is not the best tool for the job in 90% of the cases.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th September 2012 at 05:11 PM.

  7. #7
    kernewek-sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    264
    Thank Post
    67
    Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Let's hope they don't blame the IT staff if it was a
    “image-conscious” headmaster
    that pushed it through. The cynic in me wondered how long it would last when I heard it on the news, it felt a bit of a fad.

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    tablets are not at a stage yet where they can replace a laptop/desktop PC for anything more than casual use.
    They never will be a full replacement. How long have laptops been around and they are still not a full replacement for desktops. All these different devices compliment each other. Tablets are great for mobile web and email. Desktops for intensive work. Laptops somewhere in between.

    Until we find a better way to interface with a computer tablets simply cannot replace a laptop/desktop due to lack of keyboard. Yes there are keyboard docks but you either have to carry it around with you making it hardly any different to a laptop, or you put docks everywhere which atm just isn't feasible due to compatibility/theft/batteries.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th September 2012 at 05:43 PM.

  9. #9

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,992
    Thank Post
    1,359
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    602
    I have to agree with the comment about poorly planned projects. I have seen similar reports when people have gone from RM CC 2.4 to 3, CC3 to 4, CCx to Vanilla, CCx/CSE/Vanilla to Open Source, anything to Apple, Apple to anything ... and there were the same about IWBs, NOF training, broadband in schools, VLEs ...

    I know how difficult it is for the ICT co-ordinator to be public about things like this (and everyone wants to know the name of the school) and I doubt if the IT Support team are going to be willing to state on EG that it is their school, but there is still a bridge to build between schools and SLT wanting (needing?) to push what they do with tech and planning it properly.

    The difference between schools going down the Apple route, open source route and windows routes seem to be that folk going down the Apple route are at risk of hype overload ... but if it wasn't Apple it would probably be something else. If someone goes down the Open Source route it is usually down to the drive of a few evangelists and risks losing that impetus if people move on. I tend to see the Microsoft put a lot more effort into helping a smooth transition ... and this is what annoys me. Any half decent person should be able to take the concepts of how MS help you plan for new tech and adapt it to other situations.

    Planning is technology agnostic.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    608
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 69 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Got to love how they had to replace all of them to figure out it was a stupid idea, how these people end up managing schools...

    Two words, companion device. If you do real work it is not the best tool for the job in 90% of the cases.
    very much this imo, however some schools are so in love with the tablet replace everything that they forget a gradual and planned approach to see who actually would use and need one. We had a school give a talk about involving BOYD into a school from idea to actually being fully used along with the existing hardware/software was around 18months if that makes sense

  11. #11
    Ergo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    111
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I have to agree with the comment about poorly planned projects. I have seen similar reports when people have gone from RM CC 2.4 to 3, CC3 to 4, CCx to Vanilla, CCx/CSE/Vanilla to Open Source, anything to Apple, Apple to anything ... and there were the same about IWBs, NOF training, broadband in schools, VLEs ...
    Any project which involves major change can have unexpected consequences and should be planned, tested, planned some more, tested some more, trialed and tested some more before a full implementation. Real users are the final test of anything, and what they do will regularly surprise you

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I know how difficult it is for the ICT co-ordinator to be public about things like this (and everyone wants to know the name of the school) and I doubt if the IT Support team are going to be willing to state on EG that it is their school, but there is still a bridge to build between schools and SLT wanting (needing?) to push what they do with tech and planning it properly.

    The difference between schools going down the Apple route, open source route and windows routes seem to be that folk going down the Apple route are at risk of hype overload ... but if it wasn't Apple it would probably be something else. If someone goes down the Open Source route it is usually down to the drive of a few evangelists and risks losing that impetus if people move on. I tend to see the Microsoft put a lot more effort into helping a smooth transition ... and this is what annoys me. Any half decent person should be able to take the concepts of how MS help you plan for new tech and adapt it to other situations.

    Planning is technology agnostic.
    I could not have said that better myself.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. PC Pro - OpenSource is no good for schools?
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 21st August 2012, 12:16 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd June 2011, 11:01 AM
  3. Transfer Files & Settings From PC To Mac
    By GlennT in forum Office Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th February 2008, 12:30 AM
  4. Letter to PC Pro
    By Dos_Box in forum IT News
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 30th August 2005, 09:57 AM
  5. Hot topics in education IT: PC Pro magazine
    By paultrotterpcpro in forum IT News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th August 2005, 09:43 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •