+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Sophos offering free Unified Threat Management for Home Use in General; So for those of us who tinker with stuff at home and wonder how to lock it all down without ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sophos offering free Unified Threat Management for Home Use

So for those of us who tinker with stuff at home and wonder how to lock it all down without spending months faffing with iptables and learning dansguardian etc.. It looks like Sophos/Astaro have gifted us proper multi layer firewall and filtering service for home use:

Posting in Chat, becasue the other places are more about work time matters...

What can Sophos UTM do for my Home Network?

Many things! Sophos UTM is great for providing many network tasks you might be trying to do manually, with different products, or didn’t even know were possible.
    Increase your Internet Bandwidth - You can make easy use of multiple Internet connections at the same time, giving your home more bandwidth.
    Protect your Kids Web Surfing Habits - Use Web Filtering to stop sites from infecting you with viruses and spyware, keep your kids from surfing to bad sites, and get full reporting on the activity in your home.
    Solve your Spam Mail Problems - Use Mail Filtering to clean up your inbox and reduce the amount of spam you have to sift through using any POP3 or SMTP setup.
    Access your Home Network from Anywhere - Dial in using Roadwarrior VPN access to securely use Remote Desktop, transfer files, and even print, from anywhere in the world, even from your iPhone.
    Connect to Work or Friends - Create a permanent tunnel to other Unified devices, linking you with a friends network, or having the perfect encrypted link to your office Astaro to work from home!
    Stop Viruses in Web and Email - Dual Scanning Engines stop viruses in file downloads, email attachments, and embedded in web sites. Sophos catches them at the gateway, before they can get in to assault your computers.
    Sophos UTM Home Edition - Sophos products - Sophos

2. Thanks to psydii from:

TechMonkey (13th November 2012)

Thank Post
    I replaced my Ubuntu squid iptables gateway with this over the weekend. I have to say I highly recommend it. It provides so much insight into the network and where bandwidth is going. The best part is that different filtering policies and overrides are a breeze compared to Dan’s guardian.
    We already use Sophos here at the school, now I can have Sophos on all my PC’s at home too.
    I know for home use I won’t use half of the features but it is excellent and doesn’t seem to be too resource hungry either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    And the reason it is free is because......... just like the rest of their products.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plenty of products you could use to secure yourself with. Or you could go unprotected. Or you could go even worse and offer your backside on a plate by installed a Sophos product.

Or you could murder anyone that tries and installs a virus past your McAfee installation

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Plenty of products you could use to secure yourself with. Or you could go unprotected. Or you could go even worse and offer your backside on a plate by installed a Sophos product.

Or you could murder anyone that tries and installs a virus past your McAfee installation
    Ouch :-)

Thank Post
    Wow lots of Sophos fans here...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hardly surprising is it with the list of cockups from them recently! Like trusting your local kebab shop owner to look after your pet sheep!

9. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

DT2 (13th November 2012), mattx (13th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread