+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Does anyone fly Quadcopters/Tricopters in General; @ mossj88 the time varies from weight and flying style. I can get anything from 6-12minutes use, but I would ...

Thank Post
    @mossj88 the time varies from weight and flying style. I can get anything from 6-12minutes use, but I would say my normal time for my flying style is about 8minutes. You can hook up bigger batts or even link them for 2X capacity but then you are also adding weight.
    @pete Great find on that site, I had not seen it before, @plexer straight away with the wow factor.....Raspberry Pi running Linux or Andriod Quadrotor.....Sweet!

Thank Post
    What do you think to the Parrot AR.Drone 2?

Thank Post
    i used to fly rc helicopters and now fly mainly planes, quite liked the look of the ar drone but the range is quite limited for what i can gather.
    heres a video of me flying and an amature competition a couple of years ago.

Thank Post
    The AR Drone 2.0 is great, looks amazing, great tech applied and I am glad people have ported the software to Android because I wouldn't touch an ipad/iphone, not even with 'yours' lol. With regard to range you can do a simple mod to add your own 2.4G radio gear but then you loose the FPV side of the flight. I think the AR can lift a gopro hero 2 so it will fulfill many peoples needs but I looked into it for myself and the mods I would need to do to it after the purchase price of about 270~ makes it not viable at all. Scratch build is great aswell because parts are generic so a little bit cheaper.

All said I would love to have a play on one.

WLtoys v929 is AMAZING! its 40 for everything needed to get in the air (indoor or out) and it has great performance/3d Acro, you could do FPV via a small 720p@30fps wing/fly cam or even a micro 5.8Ghz TX and micro 420 cam, check them out on youtube.

@Glenj Great video, that hele is doing some amazing stunts, are you the pilot? Ive seen some smart guys have been using the tail booms from hele's to make varible pitch rotors for quadcopters and powering them with nitro IC, they are then able to do continued inverted flight like your hele.

Thank Post
    yeah thats me flying it is possible to use tailbooms for quads but they're easily bent being thin walled aluminium. i had a go at quadcopters too, built one using carbon fibre plate and 10mm square aluminium box from b&q used the kk controller and it flew pretty well, i lost orientation too easily on it so i gave up. i've still got the kk board and programmer for it somewhere.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    The AR Drone 2.0 is great, looks amazing, great tech applied and I am glad people have ported the software to Android because I wouldn't touch an ipad/iphone, not even with 'yours' lol. With regard to range you can do a simple mod to add your own 2.4G radio gear but then you loose the FPV side of the flight. I think the AR can lift a gopro hero 2 so it will fulfill many peoples needs but I looked into it for myself and the mods I would need to do to it after the purchase price of about 270~ makes it not viable at all. Scratch build is great aswell because parts are generic so a little bit cheaper.
    The video which sold it for me was this one:

Go Pro and Parrot AR.Drone fly away very high - YouTube

Thank Post
    I'm looking to maybe try out a after school club DIY quadcopter with a RaspberryPi onboard and programmed in Scratch! but think I should start off by making a 2 wheeled - ground crawling robot first

Si

Thank Post
    @SimpleSi thats a brilliant idea, wish I had a quadcopter club when I was in school I guess you would have to make a frame with enclosed props (health&saftey), there are frames out there like that but you lose about ~10% thrust through the mesh, or just keep off the props until fly time. The mind boggles with possibilities.

@Gibbo I see he is using 2.4g radio gear aswell, its a great quad and great video.

New video: FPV Quadcopter Plymouth

9. Thanks to JAB1a from:

Gibbo (11th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Here are 3 more video's I have made, the most fun to make was definutly the Brentor Church video, it was the strongest wind I have flown in yet...

Tavistock Meadows:

FPV Quadcopter Tavistock Meadows, Devon UK - YouTube

Brentor Church:
    FPV Quadcopter Brentor Church, Dartmoor, Devon UK - YouTube

Davidstow Airfield:
    FPV Quadcopter RAF Davidstow Airfield, Cornwall UK - YouTube

I have got alot of footage of Launceston Castle which I will be making into a video soon....

Quadcopter bits and kits are springing up left right and centre at the moment, there are some great RTF Quadcopters now (not just AR Drones lol)
    Last edited by JAB1a; 10th October 2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added embedded vids

11. Thanks to JAB1a from:

Gibbo (11th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Just bought one of these to be the brain of my build:

Arduino Mega 2560 R3 Latest 2012 Version - Made in Italy - Official USB Board | eBay

Ben

Thank Post
    @plexer - Thats a bit of kit!, it would be good to hear your progress on the build, what type of frame configuration are you going to use?

Thank Post
    At the moment I'm thinking an X quad I though that was a good price for that mega board and seems that the multiwii s/w works best with a mega now for the features but it gives me options to run most fligh software I think.

Ben

Thank Post
    So you are using the Mega as the main controller and adding in some off board gyros?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So you are using the Mega as the main controller and adding in some off board gyros?
    That's the plan.

Ben

Thank Post
    @JAB1a what radio gear do you use?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast