+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, General Advice... Interviews, Changing Jobs. in General; Recently I completed an apprenticeship and was offered a job.... great right? Well after a month within my new position ...

Thank Post

General Advice... Interviews, Changing Jobs.

Recently I completed an apprenticeship and was offered a job.... great right? Well after a month within my new position I have come to realise that I am very unhappy within my new role. I am commuting over 100 miles a day which is taking it out of me, and I also find that the job isn't challenging me enough.

I have decided to look for another job and have been applying for IT Support roles, ICT tech roles etc...

I'm pretty scared about interviews as I have very little experience in them, plus I'm worried that it will look bad on my CV the fact that I've only been within this role for a month and I am looking elsewhere

Has anyone been in this position, any advice?

How long did it take you to find a new role.. because my current one is making me really depressed
    Last edited by JackTheLad; 2nd September 2012 at 05:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    Recently I completed an apprenticeship and was offered a job.... great right? Well after a month within my new position I have come to realise that I am very unhappy within my new role. I am commuting over 100 miles a day which is taking it out of me, and I also find that the job isn't challenging me enough.

I have decided to look for another job and have been applying for IT Support roles, ICT tech roles etc...

I'm pretty scared about interviews as I have very little experience in them, plus I'm worried that it will look bad on my CV the fact that I've only been within this role for a month and I am looking elsewhere

Has anyone been in this position, any advice?

How long did it take you to find a new role.. because my current one is making me really depressed
    In terms of interviews, everyone starts there sometime You'll always find some interviews go better than others, even after doing lots.

In terms of the quick change, just explain about the long commute (Personally I wouldn't say it's not challenging, as that sounds like you may run from every job if bored :P )

In terms of how long to find a role, that really depends on your particulars on CVs, what you want to work as (school/business etc), and luck on how many jobs are around you, Can't really give an answer to that.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    @Steve21 is right, just mention the long commute, but there may well be a problem as you haven't been there very long. You may have to grit your teeth and stay at least 6 months. Not that should stop you looking now but you may have to wait a bit.
    If your CV lists a lot of skills that it is clear are not being used in your current job, this may help as well. I am happy to look at your CV if you would like as I am an ex-headhunter and can make sure you are selling yourself properly. PM me if interested.

Can I ask why you took the job? Did they tell you that it was different to the reality?

4. Thanks to witch from:

JackTheLad (22nd September 2012)

Thank Post
    I would stick at it for a while longer, 4 weeks is not a long time the job may develop, jobs a scarce and the grass often looks greener.

Rob

Thank Post
    I took the job as I needed the money, and I was told the school was alot busier than it actually was etc... They made it sound something it isn't.

And I will PM you my CV that would be a great help.

Thank Post
    Been in my job for 2 years and it just started challenging me. Gaining for experience on different levels now.

Both admin and techinal i deal with.

May i ask what this job is?

Thank Post
    @twin--turbo its not only the fact I dislike the job I am not personally made for the commute and its actually costing me in the long run.

Hoping the fact I've only been in the job a short time doesn't affect me to much

Thank Post
    @newpersn its just a ICT technician role.

10. Thanks to JackTheLad from:

newpersn (5th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    @newpersn its just a ICT technician role.
    I think it's fair what was mentioned above though. Don't expect an entry level role to challenge you all the time. End of the day it is an entry level role.

There are lots and lots of things in a school which most small businesses don't use. From things like VLANs, to Virtual servers etc etc. But don't expect to be let loose on these day 1

End of day another role within 5 minutes of your house may appear, but you'll still start off at the bottom.

Steve

Thank Post
    Also remember that a school based job during the Summer is very different from the same job during term time.

Thank Post
    Its not really the job atm, its more of the commute taking so long and not being cost effective, I understand that I won't be challenged at entry role however at least if i wasn't commuting over 100 miles a day it would be bearable.

Thank Post
    If you have only been there a month then you have not been "In Battle" yet.

That's when the challenge beings.

Rob

Thank Post
    just keep looking, hopefully something will turn up closer to home.

i would second the idea that good jobs are hard to come by, especially in edu. Think of the number of ICT techs who can't move up because Netmanagers are sticking in roles [a lot of them won't get anything better in the private sector - probably find much longer commutes and time away from home plus far less autonomy]. And same with moving from school to school where folk are just staying put...and i can't see many new positions being created, if anything some of the it support depts. i've seen could probably do with being reduced in size.

Primaries would be an interesting one to look at, because of the demand for places, many primaries are expanding and adding new ICT kit some of the larger one's aren't really suited to a one day a week visit by someone covering a few schools or a cluster providing the ICT support. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and increasingly i think the iPad will probably take up a lot more of your time in a primary setting...but if you don't mind that then it might be an option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alttab View Post
    Primaries would be an interesting one to look at, because of the demand for places, many primaries are expanding and adding new ICT kit some of the larger one's aren't really suited to a one day a week visit by someone covering a few schools or a cluster providing the ICT support. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and increasingly i think the iPad will probably take up a lot more of your time in a primary setting...but if you don't mind that then it might be an option.
    Unfortunately many primaries are OK with having weekly support even though it doesnt address their needs. I work in one primary and one school with the top two primary years and we dont have any iPads and dont intend to either!
    I run a complete vanilla Server 2008R2 wired and wireless network by myself, so actually working in a Primary can be very challenging and it can require a higher level of ability than perhaps the third or fourth tech in a large school might need. However, you might find a school that has no help at all and it could be worth a letter.
    Having looked at your CV and noted that you work for the same company who provided you with your apprenticeship, the fact that you havent been in the job long is less noticeable as it just looks like that was the vacancy available when you finished.

17. Thanks to witch from:

JackTheLad (22nd September 2012)

Thank Post
    UPDATE:

I would like to thank everyone who helped and gave advice, today I have been offered a new position as an ICT Technician less than a mile away from my house and I loved the school. WIN WIN! - I wish anyone else who was in my situation, or is job hunting the best and just stick in there!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread