+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, After a bit of advice ... in General; Hi All, I have just started a new job at a school which is about 40 minutes commute. I only ...

Thank Post

After a bit of advice ...

Hi All,

I have just started a new job at a school which is about 40 minutes commute. I only started last week, so have been here for about 10 days. The network manager here is also new, and started about 2 weeks before me. My official line manager is one of the deputy heads, who has not been in over the summer, and i only met once at interview. I have not received any contract, only a job offer letter?

Here is my problem. Whilst working my notice period in my previous job, i applied for another job which was on a much higher grade, and only a 2 mile drive in. I had the interview yesterday, and got offered the job this morning?

I am in a real perdiciment as to what to do. I don't even know how much notice i have to work, and don't really even know who to speak to about it. The school did not know that i had an interview yesterday, and the new place do not want a reference from them. At the same time though, i don't want to leave the current school completely in the lurch by just leaving?

Any advice from you guys?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gream0604 View Post
    Hi All,

I have just started a new job at a school which is about 40 minutes commute. I only started last week, so have been here for about 10 days. The network manager here is also new, and started about 2 weeks before me. My official line manager is one of the deputy heads, who has not been in over the summer, and i only met once at interview. I have not received any contract, only a job offer letter?

Here is my problem. Whilst working my notice period in my previous job, i applied for another job which was on a much higher grade, and only a 2 mile drive in. I had the interview yesterday, and got offered the job this morning?

I am in a real perdiciment as to what to do. I don't even know how much notice i have to work, and don't really even know who to speak to about it. The school did not know that i had an interview yesterday, and the new place do not want a reference from them. At the same time though, i don't want to leave the current school completely in the lurch by just leaving?

Any advice from you guys?
    Well if you haven't had a contract officially you're not even working for them now... Job offer means nothing in terms of "having to stay".

If you prefer the "new" job, which is closer and pays more then it's up to you really. Personally I'd worry if I was "working" at a place and didn't even have a contract, but that's just me.

End of day, You're not in any contract with that school, if you prefer the other job and feel it's better for you go for it?

Steve

Thank Post
    I want to go for the job. I have defiantly decided that. The school is nicer, better pay, and much closer. So that's a no brainier really.

To be honest with you, i have been pretty worried about no contract, and don't even know if i'm going to get paid this month. As you probably know, there is hardly any staff in at the moment, so nobody to talk to. The only person in the Network manager, who is also new, and doesn't really have any proper info.

I am trying to figure out how much notice i should really give?

Matt

Thank Post
    Sounds like the new job has more going for it. If you are subject to a probation period you may be able to leave straight away. It's better for the school if you leave sooner rather than later as they can probably still contact another candidate and offer them the position. The longer you leave it the harder it will be for them to do that.

You don't need to feel bad, this is business and stuff like this happens. Don't go into too much detail and don't tell them you had an interview - you were obviously job hunting as you have only just joined so just be honest (up to a point) and tell them another job you applied for and were interviewed for has offered you a position and it is closer to home which is better for your child care/transport needs. That is a perfectly legitimate reason to leave.

Thank Post
    I am trying to figure out how much notice i should really give?

Matt
    Well "my personal opinion" is whatever you feel is fair. If you haven't signed a contract they can't stipulate a set notice period, as you haven't agreed to working under that yet. (May be mistaken, but pretty sure you shouldn't even be working for them without a contract due to child safety etc etc?)

In reality is there no way of you contacting the personnel, or that deputy head? Surely the NM must have contact info of some kind too?

Steve

Thank Post
    Email is the only way that i have of contacting them, but i am not sure whether they will even be checking the emails. Maybe i should just hand in a notice letter to the network manager for 1 week.

I have found on the internet, the generic support staff contract for Bristol City Council, and i think that stipulates 1 week notice if you are in your probationary period, but then again as you say, officially i am not even in a contract currently.

Matt

Thank Post
    I'm surprised there's been no-one in the school given that yesterday was results day. Try and find a copy of the staff handbook, that will tell you how much notice they will expect. However, like others have said, the fact that you are still on probabtion and haven't signed a contract probably means that a week would be adequate. On the other hand, the fact that you have been working there could be deemed as having accepted the terms and conditions of your employment which could stipulate a longer period. If it were me, I think I would write a letter of resignation, put a copy in the appropriate pigeon holes (Deputy head, personnel, NM) as well as an email copy to all of the relevant people, explaining your position and giving them a week's notice.

Thank Post
    I was actually at the interview yesterday, so was not in school! I have found the staff handbook, and it does not mention anything to do with resignation or notice periods.

That is what i was wondering, whether by me starting work, that it meant that I had accepted the terms and conditions of the position. I think that they would want me out sooner rather than later, as somebody else said they would be able to offer the position to somebody else that they interviewed??

Thank Post
    They could indeed offer it to the second best candidate should they chose to.

Normal Local Government contracts would have a 1 week notice period for the first 3 months (sometimes longer) so unless your at an academy then that shouldn't be an issue. As for handing in your notice, you should email the appropriate staff and send a letter to the school "signed for", then as long as you don't sign for it and the letter is signed for by someone then that is enough. It isn't an employees fault if they work when HR staff don't. I had a member of staff leave during the holidays once, and this was the advice given to him from the Union.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    They could indeed offer it to the second best candidate should they chose to.

Normal Local Government contracts would have a 1 week notice period for the first 3 months (sometimes longer) so unless your at an academy then that shouldn't be an issue. As for handing in your notice, you should email the appropriate staff and send a letter to the school "signed for", then as long as you don't sign for it and the letter is signed for by someone then that is enough. It isn't an employees fault if they work when HR staff don't. I had a member of staff leave during the holidays once, and this was the advice given to him from the Union.
    Thats fantastic help mate. Although the school is an academy, as far as i understand i am still employed by the council? Not sure if that is right, but thats what i understand. I have written out my resignation letter which reads:

Dear ......,
    Please accept this letter as a formal resignation to .... School as ICT Technician. As I have not yet received any details in my contract of employment on the required notice periods, I hereby give the legal minimum required notice of 1 week. My last day of work will therefore be Friday 31st August 2012.

Thank Post
    If you are an academy then you aren't employed by the LA but directly by the school, and as some policies may well be different. However, I would doubt that they are different at all, most schools I know have pretty much identical policies in place, especially new converted academies, this is predominantly because in house the school doesn't have the expertise to change the contracts and they haven't as of yet seen the need to.

Be careful what you write in your letter, don't make it sound like it is there fault you don't know your notice period etc, never burn bridges etc. Thank them for giving you the opportunity (even if you have only been their 2 weeks).

Thank Post
    I was then going to go on and thank them. Do you think what i have written is to the point too much?

Matt

Thank Post
    I would get rid of the red bit, there is no need to mention it. I would also be tempted to change the last day date to be 3rd of September, as you haven't handed the notice in at the start of the day.

Dear ......,
    Please accept this letter as a formal resignation to .... School as ICT Technician. As I have not yet received any details in my contract of employment on the required notice periods, I hereby give the legal minimum my required notice of 1 week. My last day of work will therefore be Friday 31st August 2012.

Thank Post
    Thanks mate, i will amend that then. I was just trying to get the point across that i don't actually know when my notice period is. I guess that doesn't really actually matter?

Thank Post
    Thanks mate, i will amend that then. I was just trying to get the point across that i don't actually know when my notice period is. I guess that doesn't really actually matter?
    Yep simply state that you have had a fantastic oportunity that is on your doorstep, thank them for their offer and had circumstances been different you are sure you would have enjoyed working with tem. Wish them well in finding a suitable candidate to take on the roll.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast