+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Microsoft has a new logo in General; Originally Posted by localzuk Nah, people haven't said they won't happen. They've said things like 'until internet connections improve, and ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Nah, people haven't said they won't happen. They've said things like 'until internet connections improve, and data security and integrity is better, the cloud won't happen'. For some, like some of the Aussie members, that might well mean 'never'.

The iPad, its happening, but how long until everyone realises its a giant mistake?
    It's the same as Laptops, but eventually schools found out the running costs of them and reverted back to a mixture ofDesktops and (in my case) removing Staff Laptops from the picture.

Tablets have there place, but not everywhere!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Secret leaked transcript from the Microsoft marketing offices! EduGeek exclusive!

Market Bod 1: So this multi-million pound company has tasked us with making a logo.

Market Bod 2: Yeah, this will be hard. Everyone will be watching and judging so it has to be edgy and creative.

M1: I need a cup of coffee, want one?

M2: Yeah I'll think on it while you wait. Hang on, coffee is always popular in offices and powers the workers. Maybe something cylindrical like a mug?

M1: Could work. One sugar or two?

M2: Just one. Hmmm sugar is in coffee and Windows 8 is a bit blocky. What about sugar cubes?

M1: Cubes are too cliche, it needs to be different. Milk?

M2: Just a dash. Milk...that's in coffee too! How about cows?

M1: I think Tucows would have something to say about that. And before you say cow coloured cubes, they are too much like the old Gateway logo.

M2: What about cylindrical cow coloured cubes?

M1: Now you are coming up with garbage, we need something else for inspiration. Besides, my hands are full, this coffee is hot and the desk is new. Fetch us some table coasters will you...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post

I think it is more likely that the colour of XBox was chosen BECAUSE it was in the logo, not the other way around - the colours were there in windows 3.1 and I assume they were chosen from the limited colour palatte of early OSs. I expect they'll eventually have another product that is themed Yellow to match. Until then they have a 'spare' colour.
    It's probably part of a colour scheme - most likely quadratic.

Complementary and triadic colour schemes are absolutely everywhere - look here for examples.
    http://blog.pixellogo.com/printing/t...d-logo-design/

Here's a mixer which every designer should look at. For a quick start, click 'triadic' then the randomize button. It will generate colours that complement each other. If you're designing a logo, you simply cannot put a foot wrong if you use a triadic/complementary colour schemes, although you may end up with something safe and predictable.
    Color Wizard - Color Scheme Generator - Colors on the Web
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 24th August 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    It's probably part of a colour scheme - most likely quadratic.

Complementary and triadic colour schemes are absolutely everywhere - look here for examples.
    The colour wheel and logo design | The Pixellogo Blog: Graphic Design, Logo Reviews, Tips & Tutorials

Here's a mixer which every designer should look at. For a quick start, click 'triadic' then the randomize button. It will generate colours that complement each other. If you're designing a logo, you simply cannot put a foot wrong if you use a triadic/complementary colour schemes, although you may end up with something safe and predictable.
    Color Wizard - Color Scheme Generator - Colors on the Web
    *Is mesmerised by repeatedly clicking 'Randomise'*

It's so pretteh... It makes me want to recolour my desktop again...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *Is mesmerised by repeatedly clicking 'Randomise'*

It's so pretteh... It makes me want to recolour my desktop again...
    It is isn't it? Every logo you make will be fabulous with this. It will make all your dreams come true.*

*Your dreams may differ from those illustrated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,001 Posts
    It looks like MS still has a bit of work to do...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    I know we've all probably seen this, but I never get bored with these:

It took me a few moments to 'see' the Junior Jazz Dance Class....

15 Worst Corporate Logo Fails - Business Insider
    That says a lot about how effective the CRB checks are, it took me longer to work out what it was meant to be... clearly my mind is not suited to a school environment.

Then again, given some of the teaching staff I know, maybe I'm in good company here.

Thank Post
    Am I the only one that prefers the beautiful, multicoloured 'old' MS logos with the soft lines and the shading suggesting depth and dimension?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Can I work for MS now?

Attachment 14982

When it takes 5 minutes to copy a logo with paint, you know there's something wrong

Steve
    You might get done for copyright infringement with that lol :P

Thank Post
    Am I the only one that prefers the beautiful, multicoloured 'old' MS logos with the soft lines and the shading suggesting depth and dimension?
    Nope, I also liked the previous logos.

Thank Post
    Same, not quite sure when or why CGA-style 80's colours have come back into fashion at Microsoft HQ.

If you read that rather long blog post about why they've gone Metro it seems the company has done a 180 shift from transparent glass effects and photrealistic icons to minimalist white and single tone colours... trying to be different for the sake of it or on the whim of a designer somewhere?
    Last edited by gshaw; 24th August 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Same, not quite sure when or why CGA-style 80's colours have come back into fashion at Microsoft HQ.

If you read that rather long blog post about why they've gone Metro it seems the company has done a 180 shift from transparent glass effects and photrealistic icons to minimalist white and single tone colours... trying to be different for the sake of it or on the whim of a designer somewhere?
    maybe it's actually good, current design. It's not necessarily a whim just because someone doesn't like the change.

what tends to happen on any forum where stuff like this is debated is that there are howls of derision about a step change...whether large or small. But then people just get on with it, sometimes even convert to liking it. You had the same with the london 2012 logo. People who make a living writing about such stuff on blogs and in print ooze cynism and incredulation, but it was never enough to warrant a U-turn from the decision makers. They just needed to be a bit thick-skinned and wait for the chatter to move on to something else.

Same with this logo, same with Windows 8. Everyone hates it, why couldn't they just stick with the nice, old comfortable slippers. But now all of a sudden threads popping up about how folk are warming to win8. what a surprise. not.

However, no-one will ever convince me that this whole Outlook Web access 2010 / outlook.com web email look is better than the classic exchange 2003 OWA [was it still called OWA back then ?]. Maybe it's one of those where i can't see the good, current design, but i don't think i can ever like it. let alone love it. the metro style for future owa/outlook.com is a definite improvement. metro everywhere is fine by me if it means we can get shot of the transparency stuff in win7, the w2k8 gui in it's entirety , and the current OWA ui.
    Last edited by alttab; 26th August 2012 at 12:14 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123