+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Old PCs in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Old PCs

Why do staff complain about how slow computers are, and then as soon as they're replaced they want to know if they can have one of the old ones?

Seriously, we've replaced a pile of 8 year old boxes this summer and we've had quite a few requests. To give an idea of their spec, think 8 year old celeron with 256Mb ram and onboard graphics. The benchmark scores they achieve wouldn't get past single digits.

Why would someone want such an old, naff, machine? You can get 100x better machines on eBay or from Morgan computers etc... for less than £50. *confused*

Thank Post
    Take advantage and sell it to them for a nominal amount!

Thank Post
    That old machine goes from "piece of junk" to "magical freebie" as soon as you take it away. I've got people clamouring over a stack of eMacs with 128MB RAM and 1.6GHz PowerPC processors (at best). I try not to give stuff away because everyone then wants support, but my boss keeps offering them to people...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Why do staff complain about how slow computers are, and then as soon as they're replaced they want to know if they can have one of the old ones?

Seriously, we've replaced a pile of 8 year old boxes this summer and we've had quite a few requests. To give an idea of their spec, think 8 year old celeron with 256Mb ram and onboard graphics. The benchmark scores they achieve wouldn't get past single digits.

Why would someone want such an old, naff, machine? You can get 100x better machines on eBay or from Morgan computers etc... for less than £50. *confused*
    because their pay is so low they cant afford to buy their own pc?

surely though if they are going to be skipped saves you the effort of disposal

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because teachers are like children and what they have is never good enough and what they can't have is magical and sparkly and will be the panacea for all their woes?

Had a similar one here before the holiday - the English department here are, undoubtedly, the biggest moaners regarding computer speed (despite also being the department that uses them least) and yet a fortnight before we broke up they wanted to know if instead of throwing out all the old PCs we were replacing, could they have two at the back of each classroom please? We don't mind how slow they are, any computer will do, we'll put up with it!

a) No you won't b) I won't c) at least have the decency to ask me directly instead of sending one of your teachers to ask one of my techies because you know what my answer will be

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    because their pay is so low they cant afford to buy their own pc?
    Sorry, don't believe that for a second. The teachers can definitely afford one. The cleaners etc...? The vast majority smoke, and have smart phones. They can afford a PC if they can afford that lot.

surely though if they are going to be skipped saves you the effort of disposal
    No, they don't get skipped. They get taken for reuse or recycling by a WEEE registered organisation. Giving them away willy-nilly introduces a problem for the school in terms of proving they were legally disposed of.

Thank Post
    I'm telling them that any PC they buy is supplied without hard drives or an operating system as we have to perform secure destruction on the info and the only way we can do that to the required standard (ie with a certificate of destruction) is to give them to our WEEE contractor.

So far no-one has come back to me after the initial enquiry.

Also... I'm telling anyone that asks for PCs for their classrooms that they will have to pay for additional infrastructure to support them, which is currently priced at £4000 to include, trunking, wall boxes, cabling, labour, a cabinet, a switch, and a fibre link to the nearest core switch.

No takers yet.
    Last edited by Oaktech; 23rd August 2012 at 09:36 AM.

8. Thanks to Oaktech from:

AlClark (23rd August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    I'm telling them that any PC they buy is supplied without hard drives or an operating system as we have to perform secure destruction on the info and the only way we can do that to the required standard (ie with a certificate of destruction) is to give them to our WEEE contractor.

So far no-one has come back to me after the initial enquiry.
    I'm stealing this line.

Thank Post
    We replaced all teacher laptops 18 months ago when we moved sites.

Everyione was given the opportunity to purchase their old unit for £1 no mater what it was. If they did not have one they could not buy one.

We stipulated that.

THEY MUST remove the operating system and replace with their own.
    THEY MUST never come back and discuss them with us .
    WE WILL never provide any support.
    THEY CAN'T sell on, they must make final disposal via a WEE aproved recycling point.

Some people still came back and asked us "About that laptop" ... To which we were blunt and said that they had signed a form saying they would not bother us.

The whole point was to get rid of machines that would be a burden on us in our new facility. Seemed to work.

if your staff are after class PC's tell them that any machine will haev it's disk wiped and that they would have to find and install an operting systemand application. And that there would be no support what so ever. That usualy puts them off.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    THEY MUST remove the operating system and replace with their own.
    THEY MUST never come back and discuss them with us .
    WE WILL never provide any support.
    THEY CAN'T sell on, they must make final disposal via a WEE aproved recycling point.
    Doesn't that officially come back on you though? Its your OS license that would get invalidated if they sell them on/don't delete the OSs etc.

Steve

Thank Post
    They have signed a transferal ( including serial number ) for where they have agreed that they must remove the OS within a month.

If they don't do that then they would personaly be commiting copy theaft.

It's grey I admit.

Rob

Thank Post
    Whenever we replace the pc's here, we're always asked, on the quiet, if we can 'leave one in my pigeon-hole'. I think by that they mean, 'Can I have one of the old pc's you're replacing, please?'. It's always the same three or four teachers who ask and the reply is always the same.........'No, you can't'.

It baffles me as to why they think that as soon as the pc's are replaced, because they're not fit for purpose anymore, that they're fit for purpose for home use. We've just installed a room full of i5's last Easter, and they're the *only* pc's we have here that I'd give house-room to.

And before anyone asks.....'No, you can't have one when we replace them'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    They have signed a transferal ( including serial number ) for where they have agreed that they must remove the OS within a month.

If they don't do that then they would personaly be commiting copy theaft.

It's grey I admit.

Rob
    You as an organisation don't have the right to offer that though. Your own copyright licenses will state that it can only be installed on machines owned by your organisation. As soon as they change ownership, you've allowed that to be installed on another machine, with a note or not.

If you are going to give them away, you should really nuke the disk before giving it to them.

Thank Post

Strange that, we also get "Can this staff member have my old laptop".

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You as an organisation don't have the right to offer that though. Your own copyright licenses will state that it can only be installed on machines owned by your organisation. As soon as they change ownership, you've allowed that to be installed on another machine, with a note or not.

If you are going to give them away, you should really nuke the disk before giving it to them.
    Let alone all the personal and confidential information held on the disks from the computer's day-to-day usage, especially former admin machines. Even if you format the disk, unless you overwrite every sector with garbage data by doing a secure format you can still recover it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast