What do you use your WII for...?
I was "forced" to get involved in the kid's WII after GAME p...ed me off by not exchanging a WII disk that gave read errors after 9 months, I was motivated to explore the murky subject of backing up games.
This may be old hat to everyone else but I was amazed how easy this was and also what else the WII could do without too much effort - and hey, we're all Geeks aren't we....?
1) With a bit of work you can bung a USB disk on the WII USB port and copy all your games onto the hard disk. Not only does this provide a good backup - the games load much quicker and you can change games without having to walk across the room! The application (USB launcher) is pretty cool, all the games are shown with their box covers on a rotating carousel and you just click to load.
2) On the same disk but different partition you can load .avi .mpg .jpg .mp3 files and play from the WII, (using embedded Mplayer). Also play the same from a FAT32 memory stick
3) You can also play movies and listen to music over wifi link from files stored on a remote PC, (using Mplayer/samba).
4) You can load a BBC Iplayer client onto WII and watch (not store) BBC TV via wifi link. Iplayer is a free app from the on-line Nintendo store
5) There is an embedded browser and Youtube - but these seem too cumbersome to effectively use as there is no proper keyboard
6) Wii-Earth - similar to google earth
Has anyone else found any other interesting uses for their WII....?