+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, School Minecraft server in Fun Stuff; I was asked if we could have a Minecraft server within school. I said from a technical pov yes that ...

Thank Post

School Minecraft server

I was asked if we could have a Minecraft server within school. I said from a technical pov yes that would be fine. I had assumed it was free to play but now I've found you need an account... but when I download the minecraft.exe and play "offline" I have the option to play multiplayer and join a server.

Can anyone explain how the licencing works? Do you need an account to play on an internal lan server?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with this - I have been trying to set one up in my school for a while now and never succeeded.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have to have a license for every client using the server. The server itself doesn't need an account.

Take a look at MinecraftEdu as Mojang have worked with these guys to sort out Minecraft in education.

Thank Post
    Just passed the link to minecraftedu over to our ICT Co-ordinator. Could be useful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You have to have a license for every client using the server. The server itself doesn't need an account.

Take a look at MinecraftEdu as Mojang have worked with these guys to sort out Minecraft in education.
    Bril thanks for that.

Do you understand what it means by
    "The Classroom Edition is a single, one-time purchase for schools and includes all the software you need to use with any number of clients and servers. The Personal Edition will be made available to home users that already own Minecraft and wish to use our special features."

Does this mean I can pay 30 euros and then that covers me for client licences of the game, or does each kid still need a 13.5 euro licence?

EDIT// I think it's just a mod isn't it?

It was just going to be for a lunchtime club but I'm reluctant to have kids using their own accounts. It doesn't seem fair to have a games club where they have to have purchased the game. Any views?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 14th June 2012 at 01:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think classroom edition covers you for unlimited use in school for 30 euro.
    Last edited by Geoff; 14th June 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Bril thanks for that.

Do you understand what it means by
    "The Classroom Edition is a single, one-time purchase for schools and includes all the software you need to use with any number of clients and servers. The Personal Edition will be made available to home users that already own Minecraft and wish to use our special features."

Does this mean I can pay 30 euros and then that covers me for client licences of the game, or does each kid still need a 13.5 euro licence?
    You buy a single license for the edu server - ie. the group have built a custom mod and tools for use in education which they want paying for. On top of that, you need the licenses for users. So, in effect you need 1 of their licenses at €30, then licenses for each client connecting. So if you have a 30 room suite, buy a single 25 pack for €249 and an extra 5 for €13.50 each.

The problem comes from usernames - if you use 'normal' servers with 'normal' licenses, then everyone will nick the accounts... Whereas with this, you can connect with your licensed users but don't need to authenticate.

The thing is you have to have licenses whatever the case may be. Its just that schools can buy them for much less than normal via that site.
    Last edited by localzuk; 14th June 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Edited by Dos_Box - I've sent him a PM.

Note - doing this is illegal, and therefore should NOT be encouraged on this site.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 18th June 2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Did anyone do this in the end?

I've been asked to look at this as a rewards based system for some of our year 7 students i.e they hit their targets and they can play MC over lunch.

I can get Minecraft to authenticate accounts over a proxy, that's easy. But you naturally can't connect to MC servers this way, so I'd have to host one myself inside of school & this looks about right. To avoid spending a fortune on MC licenses, the students can use their own accounts (it says this in the FAQ)

Thank Post
    I've run into a problem. Ive set up the server and got it all working as I like but when I try to use a pupil pc the client won't run as OpenGL on the intel g41 chipset is incompatible with minecraft.

Does anyone know a work around? Been onoads of forums but unsurprisingly they are mostly kids saying update the gfx drivers etc.

Only workaround I've found is use the webclient but we want to run internally only so that presents its own problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The LWJGL libraries shipped with minecraft are old and crummy. Replace them with the current release.

lwjgl.org - Home of the Lightweight Java Game Library

This is required on Linux machines as the minecraft provided LWJGL libraries don't even work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread