+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Diablo III in Fun Stuff; Im loving the error 37s and now the error 33's on the game, makes for top entertainment staring at the ...
    Thank Post
    Im loving the error 37s and now the error 33's on the game, makes for top entertainment staring at the login screen constantly unable to get onto my chars.

Thank Post
    If Diablo 3 was a girl...

Thank Post
    managed to complete normal as a barbarian for now, trying other classes now instead of getting into nightmare and beyond, barbarian was a bit disappointing to play I found so far, Monk seems fun so far as does wizard, although range seems a little strange to play in this game, because of the static viewpoints and point and click nature of the game to me.

Thank Post
    awesome vid

Thank Post
    I do like how hard they have made inferno mode but they do need to fix exploited builds (wizard especially) so some classes can't just 'breeze' through it while others hit a very large steel plated brick wall very early in inferno. I guess I am used to WoW where things like this get fixed almost instantly.

Although i will say I am going to take full advantage of having a wizard until they do

Thank Post
    Loving it so far - not had much time on it yet but have almost cleared act 2 on nightmare (hate act 2...). Unlocked the secret pony level yesterday, which is awesome! Playing DH

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I purchased Diablo 3 at the weekend, only around an hour in with a wizard but it seems great. Being a total Noob to Dibalo and this style of game I was unsure if i'd like it but its great fun!
    Yet to play with people online but several mates from WoW and Starcraft are on my battlenet

Thank Post
    This is the first time I've played a Diablo game. Seasoned Diablo players in our office are complaining that it's a bit 'samey' but I think Diablo III is gorgeous. The backdrops and cinematics are beautifully done and the game is lush to look at. Having never played Diablo before I am enjoying learning the game and it's great to have a game like this I can pause. I am a seasoned WoW player though and still love my MMORPG, but Diablo is great fun and to pick it up where I left off is nice. I do wish there were more quests available though. There are massive areas of land and random dungeons just 'lying around' in the terrain and it would be great if there were quests or objectives you could pick up around them (like refugees begging you to rescue kidnapped children or something) otherwise it's very tempting to go A to B on the main quest objective / quest line without exploring these beautifully crafted areas. There are some dungeon objectives but you have to go quite far in before you find them so you have to decide - Am I going to spend time exploring here with possibly no purpose or am I going to progress the quest and storyline (I like progressing the storyline at a reasonable pace as I am keen to find out what happens next)? It also annoys me a bit that the map areas you have already explored don't remain 'visible' when you next log in - you have to explore it all again to be able to 'see' the map. But otherwise it's great. Having both Diablo III and WoW to play pretty much satisfies all my gaming needs. I did stupidly buy a copy of Star Wars : Old Republic but I've become very very bored with it. I'm waiting until it does what Star Trek online does and goes Free-to-play. I might go back to it then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Am I going to spend time exploring here with possibly no purpose or am I going to progress the quest and storyline
    The entire purpose of Diablo has always been the shiny shiny, though, and some of the random dungeons can be treasure troves... the real meat of the game, at least in D2, was Nightmare and into Hell, so play through quickly for the story on normal, and then start running round repeating dungeons for loot once you get to a decent level where you'll get decent drops.

I can probably close my eyes and do a Bloody Hills run entirely in my head, still. And always go clockwise from the Durance of Hate Level 2 waypoint, 90% of the time the stairs down to Mephisto were just round the corner in that direction

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The entire purpose of Diablo has always been the shiny shiny, though, and some of the random dungeons can be treasure troves... the real meat of the game, at least in D2, was Nightmare and into Hell, so play through quickly for the story on normal, and then start running round repeating dungeons for loot once you get to a decent level where you'll get decent drops.
    I'd understand this if it were a MMORPG where your gear level MATTERS. Where how epic your gear is will directly impact the raids you do and the groups you get. It also affects the respect other players afford you. In Diablo you are getting shiny-shiny for shiny-shiny's sake. To me, a newbie to Diablo, the game to me is about the Story. It's about the progression of the story from beginning to end. Upgrading my gear is a bonus sideline. Perhaps I have not been playing long enough to really appreciate it or perhaps it is the different way I think about games or my own personal gaming style. To me, PvP is horrible, I never do PvP in WoW. I love raids and dungeons, I love to progress in content and to do this I need to progress my gear. I can't do that pottering around in random places and killing mobs. Diablo III turns that on it's head - you HAVE to potter about killing things to get gear and level enough to progress the story, which is great as a single-player game. Why then would you hammer through the story (which is the bit I enjoy the most) only to farm for good gear at higher difficulty levels which ultimately you don't do anything with. You've already killed the bosses so why are you farming loot? Perhaps I've just not grasped the Diablo concept yet or perhaps my gaming style and preferences don't match up with it. I don't know.

Although I do have to ask: If I complete a quest chain in 'normal', when I go back to an area all the mobs I killed are still dead, so there are no more mobs to kill. Lets say I complete the story then switch to nightmare mode, will the previously seen areas re-spawn at nightmare level? Do I have to start the quest chain again in each mode? If so, will the mobs and drops scale with my level?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't speak for D3, I haven't got it yet, but I did lose a good couple of years to D2 online with a friend.

Ultimately it is a very hollow game - you are just chasing bigger numbers for the sake of the bigger numbers. Somehow, though, it taps into the lizard part of the brain that loves that risk/reward - it is really just a fruit machine in game form.

What drives you, though, is not just levelling for the sake of levelling - it's to stand a chance in the final difficulty level. In D2 at least, Hell Acts 4 & 5 could be brutal, and you needed to level and get the best equipment you could to make any progress. The best way to do that was to farm certain areas - the start of Act 5 for experience & the end boss of Act 3 for gear were the most efficient - to try and get you ready to face the mobs in later acts.

(edit to add, as that didn't really answer the question: by the time you get to the end of normal, you're only just starting out on the power curve of your class. In D2 you often finished the game before you'd unlocked your final tier of skills, so although you know the story, you push forward to build the character, and the joy of ever growing power. A high level multishot amazon with a freezing bow was a glorious thing when you got there.)

Although I do have to ask: If I complete a quest chain in 'normal', when I go back to an area all the mobs I killed are still dead, so there are no more mobs to kill. Lets say I complete the story then switch to nightmare mode, will the previously seen areas re-spawn at nightmare level? Do I have to start the quest chain again in each mode? If so, will the mobs and drops scale with my level?
    Nightmare mode etc. are basically New Game Plus - you are starting the game over, but with an existing character, harder enemies, and better loot drops. Everything restarts, everything scales, the risks and the rewards.

In D2 as well, at least, every time you started a new game - session, really - a new map was generated and refilled with mobs to slaughter. Is that not the case anymore? We used to roll a new map every ten minutes or so and rush through the same areas commiting genocide, if they've taken farming like that out that's a pretty fundamental shift from D2.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 29th May 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: wandering apostrophes, and extra stuff

Thank Post
    I'd understand this if it were a MMORPG where your gear level MATTERS.
    Once you get to the higher difficulties (hell and inferno mainly) your gear is going to matter a LOT. It'll get to the point where one hit will kill you, the gear can turn this into 3-4 if you're lucky

Regardless, of difficulty level, you can force the monsters to respawn by restarting the selected quest, so if you decide you want to farm Act IV, you just select quest one, farm, and reselect it again when you wish to restart. When you start nightmare mode, you will have to start the game from scratch. The Risen in Act I were taking 3-4 hits from my level 34 Barb when I started, the final demons in Act IV on normal were taking about the same, so yes, the enemies do scale. But on the plus side, so does loot!

EDIT beaten to it it would seem

Thank Post
    I got Diablo 3 free with my WOW subscription, lvl 9 witch doctor at the moment, enjoying it.

Thank Post
    witch doctor appears to be very fragile if cornered, im a level 9 but my gear is poor. Jumping spiders are fun

is it me or does the DH seem OP in the lower levels?

Thank Post
    also anyone found a use for the "tooths" you get when salvaging?

mate wasnt amused as the game brings a 3/4 yr old intel Mac to its knees....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast