+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Day Z in Fun Stuff; Has anyone given this a go? Its an ARMA2 zombie survival mod with permadeath, using the ARMA2 realistic model with ...

Thank Post

Day Z

Has anyone given this a go?

Its an ARMA2 zombie survival mod with permadeath, using the ARMA2 realistic model with things like 1 shot kills, bleeding out and needing food/water.

Looks amazing but apparently its better with a "crew" to back you up.

Day Z
    Arma 2 Official Website

you do need the arma2 expansion to play it so unfortunately its not free.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Saw this on the GiantBomb live stream a few days ago and it looks pretty different....in a good way!

Thank Post
    Loving this mod! would be fun with friends but really creates an atmosphere while playing, especially meeting other players and trying to work out if they are friend or foe.

Its hard though, especially solo, currently bleeding out locked in a shed with 3 zombies outside

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm can I justify paying £15 to play a free mod...
    Not yet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Hmm can I justify paying £15 to play a free mod...
    Not yet
    I got my copy from here two days ago for £8.95. Still on offer too. I've heard ARMA2 sales are up 500% because of this mod. Almost Number 1 PC game in all online stores.

Download game Arma II - Operation Arrowhead right now!

I am loving this mod. Took a while to get used to, but read up on all the aspects and had a session with some friends yesterday. Took us all an hour to meet up, but then we had a rather successful roam. When I play now, I've taken to having a map up on my iPad to refer to. Without a visible map, it's a mission.

Stumbled across a goldmine yesterday too in a barn, 4 Lee Enfield rifles! They are rather loud though and will draw the hoard right to you!

If anyone wants a game, I've taken to playing on the OCUK server (just filter for 'OCUK' - there is only one). The nice thing is that it's always day time on it. Working during the day and playing in the evening means being almost always in the dark.
    Last edited by Rawns; 25th May 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Must. Wait. Until. June.

*rage*

Have you died yet? From their website, average life expectancy is 27 minutes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Must. Wait. Until. June.

*rage*

Have you died yet? From their website, average life expectancy is 27 minutes.
    Three times...

The first time was within 10 minutes and was a glitch. I just fell to the floor and died. What's worse is I respawned as a bandit and my HUD said I'd committed 2 murders even though I saw and killed no one, not even a zombie!

Second death was again, within 10 minutes. I was killed by another survivor as technically I was a bandit (bandit skin etc).

Third, I spawned back as a survivor again. I went into a town all 'gun ho' thinking it was no big deal, but realised it was a stupid thing to do as I got swarmed by zombies! They move quickly and getting that 1 headshot kill is harder than it looks!

I play more seriously now I'm used to it, sneaking, proning, hiding from other survivors unless I can get conformation they are friendly. the mod is actually really cleverly done. When you come across a friend, you actually feel a big warm glow as you know your going to survive longer, and that you have backup! During our roam to find our other mates, I ran out of ammo and was relying on him to cover me, but during the time, I felt utterly useless.

I came across a crossbow which is sweet. Silent so draws no zombies, but also you can get your bolts back!

Also a must is a map. I have one loaded on my iPad for reference.
    Last edited by Rawns; 25th May 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    I was playing ARMA2 last night to re-familiarise myself with the controls. I forgot how (already) dated it looks and how clunky the controls are. Even things like switching weapons causes you to stop and conduct an animation, how sprinting lowers your gun then you have to stop, raise the weapon. Urgh.

I used to be good at it, playing multiplayer co-op, but that was a year ago. Just takes time to get used to it again, and the hefty menu-driven interface.

I am definitely going to come and find you...

and help you. :3

No, really. I am. I don't want to get caught alone in this mod.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I was playing ARMA2 last night to re-familiarise myself with the controls. I forgot how (already) dated it looks and how clunky the controls are. Even things like switching weapons causes you to stop and conduct an animation, how sprinting lowers your gun then you have to stop, raise the weapon. Urgh. .
    Can you sprint at full speed and aim a rifle... no.. its impossible, ARMA is a simulation not a cod style arade game, its based on realism which is why its awesome

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Can you sprint at full speed and aim a rifle... no.. its impossible, ARMA is a simulation not a cod style arade game, its based on realism which is why its awesome
    Agreed. It is awesome. The who mechanics and scale of it are top class for serious simulation. It's also why DayZ is suited to it.

Is ARMA3 out yet? Apparently, the DayZ mode can be used (or will be able to be soon) in ARMA3

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    No, but I could fire said rifle, the accuracy of my shots would be irrespective to my point as at no time did I say 'aim' a rifle.

The controls are clunky, not smooth. Everything requires you to stop or use a menu. Battlefield/CoD games get the fluidity but not the accuracy, combat sims like ARMA get the accuracy but not the fluidity. The flawed multiplayer component does no favours for this fluidity.

I'm not writing an in-depth review of this game here, I know exactly what style of game it is and well aware of the limitations of translating such a complex simulation to PC gaming, thus there being no way around the gripes I've already stated, as there would be no other way to add the functionality of the game, except to be quicker at using the menus and deal with it. Your condescending post does no favours.

The greatest minds of video gaming should have done this with ARMA2, not BF3:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=eg8Bh5iI2WY

@Rawns not yet, expected in the fourth quarter. The graphics are impressive and I feel a computer rebuild will be on the cards for this one. ARMA2 already makes my graphics card to get out of breath a little on max graphics, and it's the only game I own to do so.

Thank Post
    Alright, I bit the bullet and upgraded my BT broadband to unlimited. Purchased and downloaded Arrowhead, successfully installed the mod, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
    @Rawns do you have a preferred server? I think I'll be having a look at this tonight.

Thank Post
    The servers are persistent, so if you play on eu1 for example, log off. and log in on eu4 you will be in the same spot with all your equipment *most of the time*

I tend to use different servers, sometimes even american ones when its dark on the EU ones

Thank Post
    I do. I usually play on the OCUK server (can't recall it's full name, just filter for 'OCUK' - there is only one) with some friends. It's a 55 man and it's out of sync slightly meaning it's daytime in the evening. Almost all other servers in Europe are starting the night time phase meaning pitch black. It's worth trying the game in the darkness at some point though, but I'd defo play daytime first to get to grips with it.

I go by Rawns in game too, so keep an eye out for me.
    Last edited by Rawns; 31st May 2012 at 09:20 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast