+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Day Z in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Rawns Not tried the Commander but I did sample the Six Launcher a while back which I ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Not tried the Commander but I did sample the Six Launcher a while back which I uninstalled 2 minutes later due to it being a huge monster of an app taking up too much space and being a bit too confusing. I just install/update it manually with the direct files (which just looking on the site don't seem to be there any more ) or the Torrent file which is available.

YouTube how to install it if you get a bit stuck as there are loads of videos and guides for it. There is a handy guide on the wiki: How to install DayZ - DayZ Wiki

I'd recommend trying vanilla DayZ first and when your comfortable with it, sample Lingor Island (a separate mod required) - Lingor Island - DayZ Wiki

Tips to start with?

- Trust no one unless you know them. Treat any survivors you see as a threat. if they have a bandit skin, shoot or run!
    - You will die often to begin with so don't let it put you off.
    - While the cities and military bases are more dangerous, they have better loot so are worth the risk, as long as you get out alive!
    - It's an Alpha mod so bugs do exist.
    - May be worth starting on a lower population server to reduce the risk of death by bandits.
    - Find a gun fast. Even if bandits don't kill you,, the zombies will!
    - Maybe worth running through the basic ARMA2 tutorials to get familiar with the controls too if you;ve never played it before.
    Agreed - Get yourself an online map on a second screen, and head north - Stop at barns/supermarket to get yourself a nice starting gun, check out deer/hunting towers and slowly kit up. If you want to survive be Ninja! - Shooting gets the attension of other players who will eagerly kill you on vanilla dayz as well as zombies who will kill anything!

And If you fancy some Lingor - then we atleast have a nice friendly server, although we welcome bandits

1.7.2.6 Update is:

* [FIXED] Ammunition amounts not loaded in properly (Now records used ammunition correctly)
    * [FIXED] Graphical glitches with barbed wire (Rebinarized file should no longer produce graphical artifacts)
    * [NEW] Additional optimizations to login process (further use of publicVariableClient to reduce network transmission)
    * [FIXED] Respawn button not enabled when legs fractured (Now enables for fractured legs https://dev-heaven.net/issues/39161 )
    * [FIXED] Excessive logging of player data in server logs (Disabled https://dev-heaven.net/issues/38784 )
    * [FIXED] Graphical glitches with dead bodies (Rebinarized file should no longer produce graphical artifacts)

Nothing there makes me excited - I need that ammo bug to survive!

I'm Currently moving the lingor server from one machine to another - as daytime (when people are working) is when its mostly just randoms on who i don't mind randomly kicking and restarting on.

Thank Post
    Forgot that too, a map out of the game is a must! This one shows you locations of places and POI's: DayZ Map: Home

If you don't have a second screen, load it on a tablet (if you have one) or even your mobile or a laptop. When you first log in, your location is briefly displayed in the bottom right hand screen. Make a note of the middle line to see exactly where you are! Then find it on the map. Wherever you spawn, it will be along the coast so wont take you long to locate it on a map.

Power lines and rail tracks are an excellent way of finding you location, and are also good to follow as they mostly start, end or pass big cities. If you do follow them though, don't walk directly under them in full view, stay in the closest available tree line for maximum cover!

Like Chris says, be Ninja for a greater chance of survival. If you see a bandit who looks careless and loaded with top end weapons, chances are he's not alone, so don't risk going gun ho on them. However if you got basic stuff and have a 'nothing to lose' mentality, by all means try! It may pay off!

Quote Originally Posted by cryan
    Nothing there makes me excited - I need that ammo bug to survive!
    The graphical fix is epic for me. I always suffer when I get near a static dead body!!! But the rest is all 'meh'. Guessing the updates will be less 'grand' while they develop the stand alone.

good work on the server move! Looks like it's coming together nicely. Again, Kudos on the Dunkirk re-enactment yesterday!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cryan View Post
    Agreed - Get yourself an online map on a second screen, and head north - Stop at barns/supermarket to get yourself a nice starting gun, check out deer/hunting towers and slowly kit up. If you want to survive be Ninja! - Shooting gets the attension of other players who will eagerly kill you on vanilla dayz as well as zombies who will kill anything!

And If you fancy some Lingor - then we atleast have a nice friendly server, although we welcome bandits
    I've been waiting for some bandits to appear for a while now, I really wanted to shoot Nerf for the whole standoff thing.. I was in the mindset of the hunter and then he goes and spoils it by telling us it was him!

Ninja is definitely the way to go, at least until you find a group of people you can tag along with. I attached myself to this lot on Lingor and I haven't died at all since Friday. That's a new record for me!
    Just remember that some of the more populated servers will be more dangerous around the larger cities (such as Electro on the Chernaus map). These are prime hunting areas for bandits who live to grief people just wandering through, I'd suggest looking for some toys prior to travelling through some of these places. If not avoidable, keep your head down

Thank Post
    Anybody still playing this? I got into it last night but it's a bit rubbish on your own!

Thank Post

Day Z

What server do you play on?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Anybody still playing this? I got into it last night but it's a bit rubbish on your own!
    I've been looking to get back into it recently, are you in the Edugeek steam group? Easy to find and add you then :P

Thank Post

Day Z

I'm not but ill add myself to the group I play on the awa server regular with some work mates

Thank Post
    Yep, I'm back in it big time. I play a bit of Vinillay DayZ but I'm mainly on Lingor Island at the moment. I can't recall the server details off the top of my head so add me to Steam (Rawns) and I'll let you know the griff, or if you use DayZ Commander, you can search for servers by the players on them so just search for me in game (Rawns) and you should be good to go.

EDIT: Ignore my Sig. Lingor Island server UK210 has gone...

Anyone else think the new 'in combat' mode is just awesome beyond belief?!
    Last edited by Rawns; 23rd November 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Yep, I'm back in it big time. I play a bit of Vinillay DayZ but I'm mainly on Lingor Island at the moment. I can't recall the server details off the top of my head so add me to Steam (Rawns) and I'll let you know the griff, or if you use DayZ Commander, you can search for servers by the players on them so just search for me in game (Rawns) and you should be good to go.

Awww, no more 210? Is TS still in use?
    I'll be on at some point tonight, just need to update my game files and all should be working fine

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ful56_uk View Post
    What server do you play on?
    To be fair I only started when I got home yesterday, but the PlayWithSix thing was seriously confusing (GUI didn't 'in place' at certain bits) and a lot of the servers were either Whitelists or Private Hives, terms that at present make no sense to me! I just picked random ones that I could get into

Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    I've been looking to get back into it recently, are you in the Edugeek steam group? Easy to find and add you then :P
    I -should- be in the steam group username is TBlax but my Steam 'display name' is Major Tom (I'm a Bowie fan, so..)

Wicked, I shall keep an eye out is the Lingor Island a mod I have to download extra? I'm sure I saw that before somewhere.. I'll add you once I'm home do you reccomend using DayZ Commander over PlayWithSix? I only went with PWS because it said on the website that they don't support DayZ Commander and it made me a bit hesistant.

I'd comment about that in combat thing but as I wasn't around for the old one it's new to me anyway I found my first weapon (a crowbar, no guns for me ah well!) and although it was a bit 'delayed' it went alright... until I somehow managed to break my leg by crawling into an object

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Awww, no more 210? Is TS still in use?
    I'll be on at some point tonight, just need to update my game files and all should be working fine
    Yea, my TS server is still active though not used that often at the moment. That may change when the DayZ stand alone comes out.

To be fair I only started when I got home yesterday, but the PlayWithSix thing was seriously confusing (GUI didn't 'in place' at certain bits) and a lot of the servers were either Whitelists or Private Hives, terms that at present make no sense to me! I just picked random ones that I could get into
    Get rid of SiX, it's a seriously OTT monster. DayZ Commander is SOOOOOOO much better, lightweight and you can update DayZ, add on maps, beta patches all within it with 2 clicks. And the server browser in it is awesome!

Wicked, I shall keep an eye out is the Lingor Island a mod I have to download extra? I'm sure I saw that before somewhere.. I'll add you once I'm home do you recommend using DayZ Commander over PlayWithSix? I only went with PWS because it said on the website that they don't support DayZ Commander and it made me a bit hesistant.

I'd comment about that in combat thing but as I wasn't around for the old one it's new to me anyway I found my first weapon (a crowbar, no guns for me ah well!) and although it was a bit 'delayed' it went alright... until I somehow managed to break my leg by crawling into an object
    Yea, Lingor Island is another map to play on and IMHO, better then the standard ARMA2 world. Only ever so slightly smaller, more "residential areas" and more military grade gear. It's a tropical island so there are holiday resorts, shanty towns etc etc. It's well worth playing!

Lingor Island - DayZ Wiki

As for DayZ Commander, see above statement. You can install Lingor island with one click.

Hive: Where you character data is stored. In vanilla DayZ, most servers connect to the master hive meaning you can join any server and you will play with the same char, have the same gear, continue from the same place.

Mostly all add-on worlds have private hives where character data is not transferred. IE, to continue to play with your character, you have to stick to the same sever every time. Joining a different character will result in a new character for that server.

I think the 'whitelist' usually mean standard DayZ servers that are not modified in any way.
    Last edited by Rawns; 23rd November 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Thank Post
    I always thought Whitelist literally was the opposite of Blacklist? List of approved players?

Thanks for those links, I'll set that all up when I'm home.. which isn't long, yay! Better pop to the Winchester first - also, does that DayZMap.com thing still work.. all I see is a black screen on the webpage (unless it loads up when you have the game open? D'oh.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    I'm very late coming to this game so have a question; do I jump straight in and get ARMAII and DayZ, or wait for standalone?

Don't want to end up paying for it twice if standalone is just around the corner...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'm very late coming to this game so have a question; do I jump straight in and get ARMAII and DayZ, or wait for standalone?

Don't want to end up paying for it twice if standalone is just around the corner...
    No ETA for the DayZ stand alone yet. As Rocket always says, "It will be done when it's done.". However looking at the new video logs and the quality of the in-game footage, it's looking well on the way (I'd take a wild stab and say 2-3 months time?). Plus they are using the Minecraft model and will release an early build of the game at a low price which you can buy and then update as the game develops, or you can wait and pay more for the polished version further down the line.

However, the DayZ mod is seriously awesome and is still constantly being worked on by the community so don't think it will just come to a stop (however don't forget that it is still 'Alpha' so bugs happen). IMHO, it's well worth buying ARMA2 to play the mod. (If you get ARMA2 via Steam, you can now download the mod via Steam too).

Also, ARMA2 is a great game in it's own right so if you do buy it, be sure to play it as you'll be effectively getting two great games!
    Last edited by Rawns; 25th February 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    No ETA for the DayZ stand alone yet. As Rocket always says, "It will be done when it's done.". However looking at the new video logs and the quality of the in-game footage, it's looking well on the way (I'd take a wild stab and say 2-3 months time?). Plus they are using the Minecraft model and will release an early build of the game at a low price which you can buy and then update as the game develops, or you can wait and pay more for the polished version further down the line.

However, the DayZ mod is seriously awesome and is still constantly being worked on by the community so don't think it will just come to a stop (however don't forget that it is still 'Alpha' so bugs happen). IMHO, it's well worth buying ARMA2 to play the mod. (If you get ARMA2 via Steam, you can now download the mod via Steam too).

Also, ARMA2 is a great game in it's own right so if you do buy it, be sure to play it as you'll be effectively getting two great games!
    I might just plump for the ARMAII pack then - I did notice the news item about DayZ that's what got me thinking about it again, and I remembered the stand alone being mentioned here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast