+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Day Z in Fun Stuff; I've got a RaidCall group that I use to help newbies to the game meet up and help each other ...
    Thank Post
    I've got a RaidCall group that I use to help newbies to the game meet up and help each other out (myself and one other in the group are more experienced now). If you want to join you can, get raidcall (its free) and send me a PM on here, I'll give you the group ID (dont want to post it here and make it public for anyone on the whole wide web to see!)

Thank Post
    Am I right in thinking you don't start with any weapons? I played for the first time a few nights ago and just had a torch, bandages and painkillers but then I read you start with a Makarov pistol?

I loved the suspense, accidentally alerting zombies and running for my life for about 5 minutes hearing grunting behind me before they gave up the randomly dying after climbing on some rubble!

Are all buildings guarded by zombies as well? I found about 3 different shacks or larger buildings, 2 shacks had nothing in them and the larger building seemingly had no door I could open!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nikaso View Post
    Am I right in thinking you don't start with any weapons? I played for the first time a few nights ago and just had a torch, bandages and painkillers but then I read you start with a Makarov pistol?

I loved the suspense, accidentally alerting zombies and running for my life for about 5 minutes hearing grunting behind me before they gave up the randomly dying after climbing on some rubble!

Are all buildings guarded by zombies as well? I found about 3 different shacks or larger buildings, 2 shacks had nothing in them and the larger building seemingly had no door I could open!
    You used to start with a makarov pistol but they removed it a few updates ago, so you do start with very basic stuff. Rummage fast for a pistol, you'll need it!

All populate areas or out buildings have zombies. In small towns, most buildings are just static meshes, but some of them are hollow an d you can find some stuff in them... if you can get close enough to them.

Thank Post
    Regularly wandering about with some mates, got ourselves a bus the other day. Difficult to keep it fuelled though.

Yet to find a gilly suit (however it's spelt) or decent sniper rifle though. Preferred the game when you started with a pistol, as at least you could take out the handful of zombies around a farmhouse or something, but without one you have to crawl your way around everything and it feels so demoralising when you die

Thank Post
    No pistol at the start, makes it more intense I think. You soon learn how to arm yourself with gear, where-ever I spawn now I can have a couple of guns, food and water within 3 minutes.

Check out DayZ Map: Home it'll help you find which buildings are worth hitting (big barns, supermarkets and hotels & houses inside the bigger cities if you can dodge sniper fire!)

EDIT: Also, if you find a guillie suit, don't put it on! There is a big bug at the moment where you will end up in the middle of the ocean, and then die!
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 27th July 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Been playing this a bit recently after seeing it on here and a few friends getting it. Died lots, its good fun, although I'm rubbish and avoid players because they just KOS. Seeing as over 1m players have now purchased ARMA (for DAYZ) and will probably never ARMA, they're going to make it into a proper game.

DAYZ

Hopefully cooperation will be encouraged so that it pays well to work together rather than snipe n00bs on the beach.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Been playing this a bit recently after seeing it on here and a few friends getting it. Died lots, its good fun, although I'm rubbish and avoid players because they just KOS. Seeing as over 1m players have now purchased ARMA (for DAYZ) and will probably never ARMA, they're going to make it into a proper game.

DAYZ

Hopefully cooperation will be encouraged so that it pays well to work together rather than snipe n00bs on the beach.
    A quality outcome for the mod that Bohemia heads originally said no one wanted or would play. I'm sure there was enough dough made from the sudden surge in sales of ARMA2 and ARMAOA to fund this. Can;t wait to see what Rocket has in mind for this.

I'm actually back on the mod heavily now. me and my mates had enough of the generic 'survival' and being the better men and not killing others, so we turned to the dark side and hang out in Electro now and hunt anyone we see, as well as hitting up the key places for better gear. Had a few quality sessions over the past few days: Killed a hacker with a working car, stole his car, found a boat, found a M1A4 Silenced carbine with scope, saw the Electro hospital just blow up (someone hacking again) and also found the body of a sniper in guilie suite who was also a hacker (as soon as you opened up his gear, the game crashed out).

Also avenged a mates death by hunting down a sniper and killing him. Fun times.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    A quality outcome for the mod that Bohemia heads originally said no one wanted or would play. I'm sure there was enough dough made from the sudden surge in sales of ARMA2 and ARMAOA to fund this. Can;t wait to see what Rocket has in mind for this.

I'm actually back on the mod heavily now. me and my mates had enough of the generic 'survival' and being the better men and not killing others, so we turned to the dark side and hang out in Electro now and hunt anyone we see, as well as hitting up the key places for better gear. Had a few quality sessions over the past few days: Killed a hacker with a working car, stole his car, found a boat, found a M1A4 Silenced carbine with scope, saw the Electro hospital just blow up (someone hacking again) and also found the body of a sniper in guilie suite who was also a hacker (as soon as you opened up his gear, the game crashed out).

Also avenged a mates death by hunting down a sniper and killing him. Fun times.
    Now humanity is back in the latest build are you well in the minus points?

Found a bunch of tents yesterday in a forrest, I'm sure they wont mind their crossbow&bolts swapped with a shotgun and a few supplies missing.

Thank Post
    Guys! If you are still hot for DayZ action but fancy a little change on the eyes, I HIGHLY recommend you get the Lingor Island world downloaded and running! It's DayZ, however it's on a whole new tropical continent and is epic. IMO, it has a bit of a 'Dead Island' feel in terms of scenery (holiday resorts, beat up shanty towns etc). Highlights include:

- 99% of buildings are hollow
    - More military bases
    - Vehicles more readily available
    - Higher chopper crash spawn rate
    - Two choppers per server (customisable per server I think)
    - Increase in zombies and zombie spawn times
    - Other useful features like being able to clip your torch to your shoulder and still use your weapon, and being able to fuel vehicles next to petrol pumps!

Lingor Island - DayZ Wiki

Most servers running Lingor have their own hive so it won't affect your main DayZ character in any way. People seem to be alot more friendly on there too with very few shoot on site incidents! Me and a few mates have made UK21 our Lingor home. Really friendly server with different groups helping each other out!

Thank Post
    That's now the second recommendation for Lingor in as many days. I may have to give it a little look see.
    Never really got too far into DayZ, found some basic weapons and supplies, but I'm too Gung Ho on my own and get killed quite alot. I'm yet to find a capable group of people to survive with and play a bit more carefully, even from my own friend list

Think I'll download it tonight, though it may be a while before my new found D3 Inferno addiction is kicked!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Never really got too far into DayZ, found some basic weapons and supplies, but I'm too Gung Ho on my own and get killed quite alot. I'm yet to find a capable group of people to survive with and play a bit more carefully, even from my own friend list
    The thing I found with DayZ is that it is very much a team game, and you ideally need to play with others in order to get further then the basic gear, and to survive for more then a few days.

My friend had been playing DayZ solo for two months and said he spent most of his time in the woods, hitting up towns only when supplies were needed. He made it to 69 days but then died falling off a ladder!!! he was not happy. When he spawned, I offered to team up with him and in that one day, we managed to steal a UAZ and head north. On the way we saw a bus with 4 bandits in who gave chase. We went off road to try and loose them and somehow drove straight to a chopper crash site! With the bandits hot on our heels, we had to hide the car and dig in. I had a DMR rifle and my mate an M4A1. I ran and got in the open while my mate was prone between the road and a wall in the bushes. The bus drove around the chopper to draw the zombies and a ghillied bandit bailed and ran to the chopper. BAM! Head shot from my DMR! Another got out and ran around in confusion and I managed to drop him too! The bus drove off down the road and the driver got out and legged it around the hill to get to the back of me. I was prone and crawling back to the road but eventually I took a hit from the driver who also had a sniper. The other bandit again ran to the chopper and did not see my mate who was still hidden and he unloaded one clip and dropped him. I lost track of the sniper so ran as quick as I could up another hill. repositioned, we hid for 5 minutes. In the end, my mate ran into the open to draw fire so I could get the last bandit but nothing. Then, the bandit comes down the road on a ruddy bicycle!!! Hops off in the open and starts scanning the tree line with his 50. cal. He finally sees me but by this time, my scope is already on his head and with one last shot, he died.

We upgraded most of our gear & weapons, and took the bus as it seems one of our UAZ's tyres was blown out. Driving off into the sunset, we could not believe our luck, and the fact we survived. My mate says he had never seen this much action in the whole time he's been playing DayZ and said he won ;t bother going solo again. When he saw anyone before, he just ran in the other direction.

I have a personal TS server on my media centre me and my mates use when playing DayZ. You're more than welcome to join our merry band. If you don't have me on Steam, add me, the name is Rawns.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    My mate says he had never seen this much action in the whole time he's been playing DayZ and said he won ;t bother going solo again. When he saw anyone before, he just ran in the other direction.
    This is my my usual response to other players too! I've met one person who was friendly on my travels, and he still shot me in the head for my bandages about an hour later. I think I've only ever had one little chunk of action I've enjoyed and it was last night.

Joined a server and found myself with 5k blood from previous zombie hugging antics, started sprinting off into the dark with the flashlight on and my axe ready should I need to quickly swap. After 10 minutes or so of running around like a madman, I saw this tiny pin prick of light off in the distance. Got closer and realised it was was another player following the train tracks in the opposite direction. We saw each other, and his light went off, and a shot went out, so I turned off my light and swapped to the axe, then hit the deck. Pitch black, rifle (judging from the sound, a lee enfield) vs axe.. crawling around in some really grassy area somewhere on the east side of the island. After about 5 minutes of slowly moving around, the torch came back on behind where I'd started, but facing the other direction. Quick creep towards him and axe to the back. Netted myself a lovely rifle with a few clips, and a few bandages.

Turns out he was on his way to meet up with some friends who had a jeep. Found out the hard way 10 minutes later.
    I'll give you an add tonight should I manage to pull myself away from either D3 or Sleeping Dogs

Thank Post
    Never really paid attention to the Arma games as ultra realistic military FPS's weren't my thing but the day Z mod looks awesome! Trying to decide whether it's worth stumping up £25 for arma2 combined operations so I can play it!

Do you guys reckon it's worth it for the Day Z mod? I've noticed some rumours saying there's going to be a standalone version of the game released so I'm wondering if I should just wait for that?
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 28th August 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Thank Post
    They are releasing a standalone copy, and they want to get it out before Christmas using some kind of Minecraft model (release and constantly update). That was all I knew before going to find this:

Interview: The standalone future of DayZ, and what it means for players | PC Gamer

Now, I'm a little bit too tired to read through that, but I did read the section regarding release dates and what it'll mean for people who've purchased ARMA 2 specifically for DayZ, so give it a glance. Think I may do the same in the morning with some fresh eyes.

(and imo, it is worth buying Arma2 for it if you can afford to spend £25 for a few months of game play, it's definitely moreish!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Never really paid attention to the Arma games as ultra realistic military FPS's weren't my thing but the day Z mod looks awesome! Trying to decide whether it's worth stumping up £25 for arma2 combined operations so I can play it!

Do you guys reckon it's worth it for the Day Z mod? I've noticed some rumours saying there's going to be a standalone version of the game released so I'm wondering if I should just wait for that?
    No doubt about it. Steam have had it on offer a lot over the past few months due to the DayZ popularity. I had ARMA2 stand alone and had to by the Operation Arrowhead add-on which I bought from a Direct 2 Drive type website and have not touched the actual game at all. It's ALL about the DayZ action!!!

A few things to bear in mind:

The mod is still alpha so bugs happen. Rocket (the guy behind DayZ) also says that the mod will continue to be developed alongside the stand alone, up to a point it's deemed unnecessary so at some point, ARMA2:CO will not be required so if you buy the games and find you no longer need them in 2/3 months, don;t feel like you've wasted money to play the mod. I played ARMA2 on it's own and it's a really awesome game once you get to grips with the various controls!

The stand alone will follow the minecraft model. An alpha will be available as soon as they can get it out which will focus mainly on a major overhaul of the anti-cheat system, and redeveloping the DayZ playable world. There will be a discounted price for the full game for people who preorder.

Stand Alone Site: DAYZ

Offical Announcement from the Mod Forums: DayZ Standalone Confirmed - DayZ Announcements - Day Z Forums

Facts:
    - The game will be released in an Alpha build for a low price point
    - Rocket is project lead for DayZ at Bohemia Interactive.
    - DayZ is set to follow the Minecraft pricing and development model.
    - There will be continued support for DayZMOD alongside DayZ game.
    - Details on the engine will be announced in the coming days/weeks.
    - Release date: Unknown
    - Price: Unknown
    - Minimum Requirements: Unknown
    I've read that the engine to be used is a hybred of the ARMA2 and ARMA3 engines combined (A kind-of ARMA2.5 engine) as they both have various aspects that will be beneficial to the creation of DayZ standalone.
    Last edited by Rawns; 29th August 2012 at 10:17 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast