+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Day Z in Fun Stuff; So get DayZ Commander and download Lingor? How big is it? Please don't say GB's! hehe I want to play ...

Thank Post
    So get DayZ Commander and download Lingor? How big is it? Please don't say GB's! hehe

I want to play not download moooore things! PM Steam ID's too guys as I will be on this weekend and don't want to be a newbie so come help me out!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by L3OUGH View Post
    So get DayZ Commander and download Lingor? How big is it? Please don't say GB's! hehe

I want to play not download moooore things! PM Steam ID's too guys as I will be on this weekend and don't want to be a newbie so come help me out!!
    Been a while but I think it was no more than 1GB.

Yea, if your playing the mod, DayZ commander is THE tool to have. You can download and update new maps, join servers, set up a 'friends' list etc. It's really good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Been a while but I think it was no more than 1GB.

Yea, if your playing the mod, DayZ commander is THE tool to have. You can download and update new maps, join servers, set up a 'friends' list etc. It's really good.
    I will be playing the mod as I have everything installed, apart from Commander and maps etc! Beeeen looking forward to playing this game for ages finally get to this weekend! Woop!

Will you be on this weekend at all?

Thank Post
    I think the Lingor map was about 600mb (or it was for the server files). DayZ commander has the nice feature of letting you filter certain servers, like first person only, no tracer bullets, daytime only, etc.

IMO night time is an amazing time to play. you can move easier without zombies seeing you and its a LOT more atmospheric. Nothing beats running and hearing a zombie but only being able to see the outline as you run. or seeing muzzle flash in the distance and deciding whether to creep by or go fight.

I've played a couple of Arma3 first person only servers and they do definitely change the gameplay. In 3rd person you can, in effect, see round corners or over walls as you can tilt the camera. So you kind of get an advantage. In first person you have to poke your head out that door to see round the corner!

**EDIT** I might be on, it depends how my wrist fairs....or how long it takes before Rawns shoots me in the back because "he mistook me" or runs me over
    Last edited by d0pefish; 24th January 2014 at 09:10 AM.

Thank Post
    I will be playing the mod as I have everything installed, apart from Commander and maps etc! Beeeen looking forward to playing this game for ages finally get to this weekend! Woop!

Will you be on this weekend at all?
    Unsure yet. Got somethings on but till be on for a game of something at some point. So many choices! Few mateswill be on NF4, I've started on Skyrim again and am getting hooked, DayZ SA has just had a large update that may require checking out, and talk of DayZ Mod Lingor makes me want to play that too!!!

So many games, so short a weekend!

Do you have a headset? Be sure to get on the Edugeek mumble server when you play just in case.

**EDIT** I might be on, it depends how my wrist fairs....or how long it takes before Rawns shoots me in the back because "he mistook me" or runs me over
    As if I would do such a thing!!!!
    Last edited by Rawns; 24th January 2014 at 09:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Unsure yet. Got somethings on but till be on for a game of something at some point. So many choices! Few mateswill be on NF4, I've started on Skyrim again and am getting hooked, DayZ SA has just had a large update that may require checking out, and talk of DayZ Mod Lingor makes me want to play that too!!!

So many games, so short a weekend!

Do you have a headset? Be sure to get on the Edugeek mumble server when you play just in case.
    I have Turtle Beache PX22's, not used them for gaming yet, should work though. Work a treat with Skype. And okay can I connect to the mumble server through Commander? This is all sooo new to me! D: But deffo checking out Lingor this weekend!

Thank Post
    I have Turtle Beache PX22's, not used them for gaming yet, should work though. Work a treat with Skype. And okay can I connect to the mumble server through Commander? This is all sooo new to me! D: But deffo checking out Lingor this weekend!
    No, mumble is a separate open-source voice app. You can download the client from here: Mumble

This thread here has the address to connect to: EduGeek Mumble Server

Thank Post
    No, mumble is a separate open-source voice app. You can download the client from here: Mumble

This thread here has the address to connect to: EduGeek Mumble Server
    Lol, see, newbie central here! Sweet, I'll be sure to connect tonight then!

Thank Post
    Lol, see, newbie central here! Sweet, I'll be sure to connect tonight then!
    When you come to play, Lingor is slightly different to the standard DayZ mod. On Lingor the island is slightly smaller, has more towns/villages, a lot more functioning vehicles and a LOT more military bases where you can get great weapons and ammo from. Takes about an hour in Lingor to get geared up to the max and when you die, it's quite easy to get back to your body or re-arm from scratch. This has the effect of making everyone a bit more "gun ho"...

Such items in the vanilla DayZ mod are a lot more scarce and dyeing becomes more of a problem as it takes longer to get back to your body (which chances are will have been picked dry and hidden by the time you get back to it) and also takes longer to get geared up. So when you move from Lingor to vanilla DayZ, don't let the fact that you struggle to find good gear and regular dyeing put you off.

It's up to you how to play DayZ and it can make a big difference. Sneaky? Crawling, prone, hidden, silent, running away from gunshots and other survivors? Hero? Gearing up, announcing yourself to others who need help, joining in on gunfights to take down bandits, only to take the risk of being shot in the back of the head when you least expect it? Bandit? Why gear up when you can just kill others and take their stuff? Or general A-hole? Gear-up, then sit along the coastline killing new spawns that have no gear, guns or ammo, just because you can (and for the LOLZ).
    Last edited by Rawns; 24th January 2014 at 09:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rawns sounds like he has done all of the above! lol

Thank Post
    Chopper crashes are what made Lingor so fun. Seeing smoke in the distance, getting up to it and hoping nobody else is around, picking the chopper clean of good weapons then running like fsck. Or seeing another chopper land next to it to try and loot it......or more importantly watching Rawns trying to fly and land a plane.....much hilarity ensues

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Rawns sounds like he has done all of the above! lol
    no-no, just the last one

Thank Post
    Probably going to take the sneaky approach until I'm comfortable with what I'm doing! Actually can't wait to get stuck in now!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
    Chopper crashes are what made Lingor so fun. Seeing smoke in the distance, getting up to it and hoping nobody else is around, picking the chopper clean of good weapons then running like fsck. Or seeing another chopper land next to it to try and loot it......or more importantly watching Rawns trying to fly and land a plane.....much hilarity ensues
    A-10s bad... took off, didn't know how to fly, dive bombed the floor.
    Survived like a baws. Probably about 5% blood left, but survived, nonetheless.

Lingor is truly awesome, even if you just play the way I did, sat on the roof of a tower block with a bag of food, water, ammo, and a sniper rifle. That was a fun day.

Thank Post
    Probably going to take the sneaky approach until I'm comfortable with what I'm doing! Actually can't wait to get stuck in now!!
    i took the sneaky approach for ages. used to crawl in to towns, crawl through buildings....then realised i could outrun zombies. if you know a few of the "tricks" like breaking line of sight and hiding in certain areas you can waltz through a town without a problem. you generally tend to do that up until you have a gun then have to watch as firing it will attract a LOT of them.
    other things to note
    - smoke grenades draw zombies. throw one and they run to it....so can be used as distraction or to pull zombies to an enemy.
    - getting matches/hatchet/knife will mean you are self sufficient in food as you can kill, gut and cook animals. i think one of the later updates (not sure if it applies to lingor) also let you eat raw meat with the possibility of infection
    - trust no-one. NO-ONE! that guy that is unarmed and says he needs help....chances are his mate is on the hill with a sniper rifle watching you. that person you just helped out who was being attacked by zombies....good chance he will now kill you for your gear. unless you know the person in question (and even then if its rawns) do not trust that a) they're alone and b) they won't kill you.
    - if you have a second monitor, load the map up from a website on it. it helps with orientation. when you first spawn it tells you which area you are in, so you can use that as a base.
    - if you start with a compass, great, you can navigate from there. if only a map (M) then set a private marker (shift and click) to a city and it will show you in game the direction. if you have neither, the clouds move east, so use them as a guide. after a while (especially with lingor) you get to know the map and wont need it.
    - if using a sniper rifle, learn about zeroing. i tended to run a few of the arma missions that let me practice that so you could get used to quickly working out the range of an enemy, altering the zeroing on your rifle and also sniping a moving target. although most human enemies in game will tend to be hiding in cover so it's not always about a moving target.

I'm sure others can think of other things too

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast