+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Wii and GameCube Compatability in Fun Stuff; At last the kids are old enough for a games console (currently they play some Pixar based titles on the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wii and GameCube Compatability

At last the kids are old enough for a games console (currently they play some Pixar based titles on the media PC in the living room), and since we don't see the point in investing in a 'next gen' console yet we have decided to go with getting a second hand Wii of which there are pelnty of bundles available on eBay and Gumtree. What I hadn't realised until last week was that early Wii's (not the new ones) are backwards compatible with GameCube games.
    What I want to know is:

a. Do these work flawlessly?
    b. Are they good graphically on say a 32" flat screen TV given they were released back when CRT TV's were the norm?

Oh, and what controllers would I need (if any) to accomodate GC titles?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    We just got rid of our gamecube and the games but playing them on the WII worked fine, the gamecube controller plug into the top of the WII under a flap.

This was before we got our plasma so can't comment on the large screen lcd/plasma aspect.

Also used the gamecube steering wheel.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Yes I believe they worked perfectly, but alternatively you can just buy a GameCube itself cheap and have two consoles.

The GameCube and Wii using Phono (red, white, yellow) or scart to connect to the TV. I'll work fine on a 32" TV although the graphics are comparatively poor compared to the XBOX 360 or PS3, but the kids will love it!

Thank Post
    It's worth getting the Component cable for connecting the Wii to a TV if you have the right inputs - it doesn't improve the resolution any, but it does avoid the fuzzy interference you get on the picture when using the ordinary composite cable. They can be picked up quite cheaply from CPC if I remember rightly when I got mine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I wasn't aware that you had a seperate socket for GC controllers. You learn something new every day
    Yeah, my kids are at primary school so the Wii has more child friendly titles, and given its backwards compatability it will save having 2 consoles in the house which would just add even more cables to the back of the TV unit, which is already overloaded!

Thank Post
    I still have my Gamecube, but the Wii does everything I need now - including accepting the memory cards with my gamesaves. The component cable makes a huge difference and is well worth it on a big screen (looked awful on a 40" via composite). Being able to use GC pads also makes Mario Kart Wii a far superior game!

Thank Post
    I recently enjoyed playing The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess (GC version) and Starfox Adventures on my Wii, all with an original GameCube memory card and controller. Composite cable looked a little fuzzy on my 42" LCD but was still a fully enjoyable experience

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for component cable - Guitar Hero lyrics are unreadable on a 32" HD Ready telly, but are lovely with the component. Really does make a difference. Do it.

Gamecube games will also work perfectly, no faffing around with a list of which games are compatible and which aren't la 360 and its Barbie Horse Adventures. Worth picking up a couple of proper GC controllers because they should be cheap and they are just lovely controllers

As for games, Mario Kart Double Dash is an undoubted winner, Smash Bros can be lots of fun, WarioWare is mental, and for young kids I'm of a mind to recommend Billy Hatcher as well - it's a surprisingly fun and decent game, particularly in multiplayer. Loads of others as well but I can't think what they are off the top of my head, but with young kids, I wouldn't worry overly about the graphics - they're not far off how the Wii looks anyway!

(oh, and if you can find it, and can deal with the noise - Donkey Konga with the Bongo controllers is amazing)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta
    I wouldn't worry overly about the graphics - they're not far off how the Wii looks anyway!
    True that, I was playing LOZ:Wind Waker, when my OH put on LOZ:Skyward Sword later in the day I couldn't tell the difference!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ....which aren't la 360 and its Barbie Horse Adventures
    @sonofsanta I'll bet you were devestated when that one failed to run

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    @sonofsanta I'll bet you were devestated when that one failed to run
    Au contraire mon ami, it's one of the few that Microsoft got working on the 360. You can imagine my delight when I spotted it on the list

Thank Post
    oh wow, I'd forgotten, I've a cube in a draw somewhere with resi 4! woohoo worth diggin' out me thinks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread