+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Wow account hacked while on holiday in Fun Stuff; go outside and play in the sunshine...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    go outside and play in the sunshine

Thank Post
    If you were hacked before, how come you didn't put the authenticator on it then? Our guild went through a spate of attempted and successful hackings (it seemed a certain guild was being targetted or a set of guilds on our realm). I bought an authenticator (this was before I had a smartphone) and have never had a single issue. I've had emails telling me people have been trying to reset my password but they always fail at the hardware authenticator (I am certain the keyring authenticators are more secure than the app ones). I've invested far too much time and love into my WoW account to let some s**t-smeared little scrote get all my gold and epics. Across my toons on a single realm I don't even break the 50k gold mark so it's hardly a worthy hack. Our Guild master got done 3 or 4 times because of his access to the guild bank and all the thousands of gold sitting in it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    go outside and play in the sunshine
    Not in this weather!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    If you were hacked before, how come you didn't put the authenticator on it then?
    It didn't exist! I was first hacked when I stopped playing just after I finished BWL, back in vanilla.

The account was inactive and someone hacked it, added game time, and then used it as a gold selling account.

Thank Post
    See I always wonder how they know what address to use. I keep getting phishing scams to my 'junk' account saying that my WoW account is being suspended due to illegal activity unless I visit what is clearly a phishing URL and enter my details to 'answer the charges'. Funny, I don't HAVE a WoW account on that address.... Interestingly, I've never had one of these to the account I actually use for my WoW account...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    See I always wonder how they know what address to use. I keep getting phishing scams to my 'junk' account saying that my WoW account is being suspended due to illegal activity unless I visit what is clearly a phishing URL and enter my details to 'answer the charges'. Funny, I don't HAVE a WoW account on that address.... Interestingly, I've never had one of these to the account I actually use for my WoW account...
    I get those even though I've never played WoW (Diablo II was my battle.net poison of choice ). It's telling that they are by far the most believable and well constructed phishing scams around - if it wasn't for the fact I know I don't have a WoW account, they'd have me fooled.

Just shows how much money there is in gaming I suppose that it's worth putting the effort in to chase a technically competent market rather than trying to copy a bank and aiming for pensioners.

Thank Post
    Someone mentioned to me its all insider done, there is no way I could have been hacked by my own doing (ok a very very slim chance, but highly unlikely).

How did they know I was on vacation? How did they find the battle.net email I use? How did they get my password and know not to change anything to trigger the mobile alerts?
    Neither my wow PC or emails have been compromised, where else is the attack originating?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Someone mentioned to me its all insider done, there is no way I could have been hacked by my own doing (ok a very very slim chance, but highly unlikely).

How did they know I was on vacation? How did they find the battle.net email I use? How did they get my password and know not to change anything to trigger the mobile alerts?
    Neither my wow PC or emails have been compromised, where else is the attack originating?
    Who has access to your WoW computer?

Find them and kick them in the nuts. If female, it'd be a boob punch of your choice. [left or right? You decide.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Who has access to your WoW computer?

Find them and kick them in the nuts. If female, it'd be a boob punch of your choice. [left or right? You decide.]
    Only me, when I say this is a very weird (and concerning) scenario I mean it!

The only plausible way I can think of is that a gold seller has somehow compromised an account of someone on my realfriends list (which shows account email addresses) and just brute-forced the password or the wow armoury iPhone app is in some way compromised.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Only me, when I say this is a very weird (and concerning) scenario I mean it!

The only plausible way I can think of is that a gold seller has somehow compromised an account of someone on my realfriends list (which shows account email addresses) and just brute-forced the password or the wow armoury iPhone app is in some way compromised.

Now... I'm not saying it's Aliens.

But, those space cows always looked shifty to me. [And they sound russian.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Have you seen the big bang theory? If so you should do what Sheldon does
    Don't take your Klingon Battleth (sp?) with you either, it just causes more problems.

Thank Post
    I am certain the keyring authenticators are more secure than the app ones
    [PEDANT MODE ENGAGE]
    This isn't true. The same algorithm is used to generate the key for the hardware authenticator as for the software one. The only difference is the platform it runs on. The hardware auths are better in my opinion because you can't accidentally uninstall them, but that's not the same as being more secure.
    [/pedant]

In all seriousness, you probably fell for a phishing scam and didn't even realise it. Failing that, I know this is obvious but have you run a virus scan? It could be that you have a trojan/keylogger or something. Even if you don't really use the machine on the web, sometimes just visiting a webpage is enough to get an infection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post

In all seriousness, you probably fell for a phishing scam and didn't even realise it. Failing that, I know this is obvious but have you run a virus scan? It could be that you have a trojan/keylogger or something. Even if you don't really use the machine on the web, sometimes just visiting a webpage is enough to get an infection.
    PC is scanned daily and up to date. I have checked running processes and services, startup even ran hijackthis and spybot for good measure.
    I'm racking my brain to think if I have accessed battle.net anywhere other than my iphone/ipad and that PC.

And no, I haven't fallen for a phishing scam, that I can be certain of.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    This isn't true. The same algorithm is used to generate the key for the hardware authenticator as for the software one. The only difference is the platform it runs on.
    Are you certain?
    The software authenticator produces an 8 digit code and the hardware authenticator (at least the version a colleague has) generates a 6 digit code.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    Are you certain?
    The software authenticator produces an 8 digit code and the hardware authenticator (at least the version a colleague has) generates a 6 digit code.
    Yeah you're right, after doing some googling it appears that the keyring auth produces a 6 digit code where the smartphone app produces an 8 digit code. Surely that would mean the smartphone app is technically more secure then?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast