+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Details begin to emerge in Fun Stuff; According to an article in El Reg it is pegged for a Q4 release in 2013 and looks to be ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

PS4 Details begin to emerge

According to an article in El Reg it is pegged for a Q4 release in 2013 and looks to be a monster:

PlayStation 4 'Orbis' pegged for 2013 release ? reghardware

However it may also come with a few killjoy features:

The sources also said there will be no backwards compatibility for PS3 games and that the brawny console will come with measures to prevent secondhand games being played without the prior purchase of an unlock code.
    Titles, expected on to ship on Blu-ray Discs and as downloads, may require online connectivity for authentication too.
    Although it will give console crackers something to be getting on with for a bit I reckon!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suspect it will fail as much as 3 did and continues to do (compared to how Sony and frankly most of the console world thought it would do). Sort of a shame on one hand but on the other, I suspect the growth gaming area will continue to be casual and mobile. Although Sony can't even get that side of it right, their Vista thing is still a bit faily. It'll still have a huge fanbase of course, I just wonder how long it is before the "big merge" of home entertainment happens.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what is cheaper, these big technical solutions to stop the second hand market or making first hand titles a more affordable price?

I was wondering what this pass thing was meant to be on the Vita, now I know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Although it will give console crackers something to be getting on with for a bit I reckon!
    Unless Sony gets their way and is allowed to publicly execute anyone attempting to use their gear in a way not outlined in the manual.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I suspect it will fail as much as 3 did and continues to do (compared to how Sony and frankly most of the console world thought it would do). Sort of a shame on one hand but on the other, I suspect the growth gaming area will continue to be casual and mobile. Although Sony can't even get that side of it right, their Vista thing is still a bit faily. It'll still have a huge fanbase of course, I just wonder how long it is before the "big merge" of home entertainment happens.
    I love the way PS3 is counted by some as a "Failure" even after selling 65m units. Quite laughable.

Also interesting how much Sony gets bashed for implementing the things the PC market and some of the big developers (EA) has had for years. How do you buy second hand on steam?

Still, its cool to bash Sony.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 30th March 2012 at 01:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I love the way PS3 is counted by some as a "Failure" even after selling 65m units. Quite laughable.

Also interesting how much Sony gets bashed for implementing the things the PC market has had for years. How do you buy second hand on steam?
    Like revoking hardware features, killing backward compatability and storing then loosing hundreds of thousands of bits of user sensitive info all in one go thanks to shocking security on their compulseraly collected data store?

TVs with less and less format support, blueray extentins breaking most players other than the PS3, rootkitted CDs etc. etc...

They do 'a lot' to be bashed for.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 30th March 2012 at 01:53 PM.

Thank Post
    To be honest, they've ALL got something to be bashed for...

Sony - Implementing (great idea!), then removing backwards compatability, 'losing' user data.
    Microsoft - RROD anyone? Having a two-tier online system that can give in game bonuses to the higher tier (only on a few games though)?
    Nintendo - Where the is my Star-Wars Lightsabre type game that your smegging controller is perfect for?

Lets not turn this into a ps3/xbox/wii/pc/etchasketch war though, they all have things they do better than the others
    Last edited by korifugi; 30th March 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post

Still, its cool to bash Sony.
    Please re-read my post - I said it failed heavily in their own eyes. "Cool" to bash someone? Not really. It's fair to point out shortcomings and reasons why it was never as successful as it should/could have been.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Despite the PS4 having an AMD CPU and GPU, it sounds like PC gamers will still have to suffer with rubbish console ports when the next gen consoles are released.

The x86 PlayStation 4 could signal a sea-change in the console industry Ars Technica

Console gamers of all kinds may also be disappointed the new machines won't be as tremendous a leap over current systems as past systems have been. Consoles have already been eclipsed by PCs—with a result that games like Battlefield 3 offer PC players larger maps with more players than the consoles can cope with—and it looks like that will still be the case come the eighth generation.

If current rumors are to be believed, the next generation of Sony and Microsoft consoles will gain performance parity with PCs, but not much more. Consoles will still have their advantages—the range of peripherals, the plug-and-play simplicity, the reduced maintenance, the low up-front cost—but they won't be able to offer best-in-class gaming, even at their debut. For that, only a PC will do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Despite the PS4 having an AMD CPU and GPU, it sounds like PC gamers will still have to suffer with rubbish console ports when the next gen consoles are released.
    Rather like they are now, then! Plenty of crap ports from Xbox are defacto standard on PC. It's nice to get one or two titles released a time after though where they've obviously worked on making the most from gaming PCs like Alan Wake.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, and some titles still have their home on a PC. I can't believe that console makers still haven't cottoned on to mouse and keyboard though as that is the big barrier to cross-platform gaming for publishers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Rather like they are now, then! Plenty of crap ports from Xbox are defacto standard on PC. It's nice to get one or two titles released a time after though where they've obviously worked on making the most from gaming PCs like Alan Wake.
    On a side note Alan Wake was a great game, its ashame it was not more of a sales sucess.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

The x86 PlayStation 4 could signal a sea-change in the console industry Ars Technica
    A PS4 with a quad-core chip and Southern Islands (7750?) GPU would outperform a similarly specced PC though, certainly after developers have got to grips with it, because developers can code on bare-metal for consoles where everything is identical. The abstraction layers of DirectX etc. limit how much utilisation you can get out of PC hardware. Bit more here: AMD: DirectX Holding Back Game Performance

Ultimately, though, we are just at a point of diminishing returns wrt photorealism. Each order of magnitude higher in polygon count has a commensurately smaller impact from now on. I'd rather them just give the next-gen a chunk more video RAM than the pathetic amounts we have now to allow much better textures, and everyone just aim for 1080p60 with interesting art direction instead.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    A PS4 with a quad-core chip and Southern Islands (7750?) GPU would outperform a similarly specced PC though, certainly after developers have got to grips with it, because developers can code on bare-metal for consoles where everything is identical. The abstraction layers of DirectX etc. limit how much utilisation you can get out of PC hardware. Bit more here: AMD: DirectX Holding Back Game Performance

Ultimately, though, we are just at a point of diminishing returns wrt photorealism. Each order of magnitude higher in polygon count has a commensurately smaller impact from now on. I'd rather them just give the next-gen a chunk more video RAM than the pathetic amounts we have now to allow much better textures, and everyone just aim for 1080p60 with interesting art direction instead.
    You do get the 'java' argument though where the claim is that for the majority of developers a smart compiler/interpreter made by smart people will optimise better than all but the best of programers. This is the justification that some of the science places use, I don't think I agree in either scenario though, native is almost always better, despite the lazy science javatards views.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The sources also said there will be no backwards compatibility for PS3 games and that the brawny console will come with measures to prevent secondhand games being played without the prior purchase of an unlock code.
    Titles, expected on to ship on Blu-ray Discs and as downloads, may require online connectivity for authentication too.
    Surely this cannot be realistic? Are they looking for the quickest, easiest, way out of the console market? Why would you take backwards compatibility out?

It's hard to believe that the top people at Sony would allow this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast