+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 130
Gaming Thread, OpenTTD in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Achandler I make undergound rails when I use to play it, then the cities coudl expenda better ...
  1. #46

    bladedanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,314
    Thank Post
    191
    Thanked 313 Times in 234 Posts
    Rep Power
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I make undergound rails when I use to play it, then the cities coudl expenda better and the countryside wasn't ruined by my tracks, the most expensive tunnel I was was about 100million! You didn't seen the train for about a minute, it was a huge express traing that did two stops, 60 carriages long!
    The problem I find with long tunnels is you can only have one train passing through at any time so you always end up with a backlog of trains waiting at the entrance.

    Unless I've missed something obvious lol.

    Dan

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,114
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 221 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    No you've not, this tunnel was simply a project to join the two biggest cities on each side of the map.

    I did once have multiple tunnels with signals on them but for some reason trains tend not to wait at signals at the end of tunnels, they turn around and mess about, whereas on normal tracks these problems don't exist.

  3. #48
    Mcshammer_dj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    991
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 180 Times in 145 Posts
    Rep Power
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    The problem I find with long tunnels is you can only have one train passing through at any time so you always end up with a backlog of trains waiting at the entrance.

    Unless I've missed something obvious lol.

    Dan
    and you end up with tunnels at all different levels. It would also be nice to be able to tunnel below a river

  4. #49

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,530
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    925
    Whoever you are, Stagecoach Sicko... I hate you

    Edit: Yeah, serious though, that's bad form. Sabotaging a new player by preventing their only transport options due to your having lots of money and them starting out by buying exclusive transport rights in the only towns they build in, that's not fun.
    Last edited by localzuk; 14th March 2012 at 09:33 PM.

  5. #50


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,396
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 917 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    You are quite right and ... I felt deeply ... the shame [*1] ...





    about half an hour after I stopped laughing!

    [*1] for small values of deeply and shame.

    No seriously, you are right, I've been a naughty boy and I'm sending myself off to bed. And from now on, I'm just going to help people. Like some rich ... benevolent ... but slightly sick ... b*sta*d.

  6. #51


    tom_newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    4,507
    Thank Post
    871
    Thanked 862 Times in 681 Posts
    Rep Power
    199
    I'm still rubbish at this game but getting better.
    I still hate trains -- they can be so frustrating when they do "stupid" routing, and it is too easy to add a bit of track in order to try and unravel a bottleneck only to find it has bolloxed your signals. A signal simulator would be dead useful

    I like boats though. You can make great money once the second oil tanker arrives. I also managed to get a lot of $ out of some hovercraft routes...

  7. #52

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,530
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    I'm still rubbish at this game but getting better.
    I still hate trains -- they can be so frustrating when they do "stupid" routing, and it is too easy to add a bit of track in order to try and unravel a bottleneck only to find it has bolloxed your signals. A signal simulator would be dead useful

    I like boats though. You can make great money once the second oil tanker arrives. I also managed to get a lot of $ out of some hovercraft routes...
    I always find boats to be far too risky an investment - the income is too varied from most oil platforms.

    Trains are good, just don't do what I did and build a track to a farm without checking how much that farm can produce...

  8. #53


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 433 Times in 352 Posts
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I always find boats to be far too risky an investment - the income is too varied from most oil platforms.

    Trains are good, just don't do what I did and build a track to a farm without checking how much that farm can produce...
    I usually do trains, I often start my game by going to the industry list and sorting by production.

  9. #54
    tomgrindle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    210
    Thank Post
    53
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    I don't want to ruin your fun but ..... if you only want people on Edugeek to know I would put it 'Behind the red door' or somewhere similar, as at the moment this is being indexed on Google.

    Just a thought ..... but if I'm being silly just ignore me :P

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Aah I used to be SO addicted to this game. Woke up before school at like 6AM just to play it for a while. I've done this only with TTD and Pokemon.

    I just loved listening to that smooth jazz in the background while building my empire of railroads and airports...

  11. #56


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    7,059
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 926 Times in 795 Posts
    Rep Power
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I always find boats to be far too risky an investment - the income is too varied from most oil platforms.

    Trains are good, just don't do what I did and build a track to a farm without checking how much that farm can produce...
    i usually just build islands and bridges to get my trains within reach of an oil field or two lol

  12. #57


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 433 Times in 352 Posts
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i usually just build islands and bridges to get my trains within reach of an oil field or two lol
    That's always expensive, if I can be bothered I build a station and a dock on the coast and just use the ship to shuttle the oil over and let the train do the rest.

  13. #58

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,530
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    That's always expensive, if I can be bothered I build a station and a dock on the coast and just use the ship to shuttle the oil over and let the train do the rest.
    You soon make the money back doing it though. I did it on this server a while back, with an single strip of land connecting 3 rigs to the shore. I was making a couple of million a year from it easy.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Whoever you are, Stagecoach Sicko... I hate you

    Edit: Yeah, serious though, that's bad form. Sabotaging a new player by preventing their only transport options due to your having lots of money and them starting out by buying exclusive transport rights in the only towns they build in, that's not fun.
    If it makes you feel any better, it's a good demonstration of the failure of an unregulated marketplace. A truly Free Market requires some degree of protection for small businesses to avoid them being snuffed out by corporate monsters. See Hayek.

  15. #60


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    7,059
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 926 Times in 795 Posts
    Rep Power
    309
    whooa everythings expensive small line and train no coaches and im out of cash lol



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon) - Too Adictive!
    By Gilleen in forum Gaming
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 17th March 2009, 03:29 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •