+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Star Wars : The Old Republic - Post Launch in Fun Stuff; Hi all, Just thought I'd start a new thread about SWTOR for those that are playing it. I'm a level ...
    Thank Post

Star Wars : The Old Republic - Post Launch

Hi all,

Just thought I'd start a new thread about SWTOR for those that are playing it.

I'm a level 50 Commando Medic on The Progenitor EU RP-PVE server and currently loving the game and doing a lot of Raiding.

I'm at full Columni gear and half way through getting all my Rakata stuff.

How is everyone else getting on with the game?

Thank Post
    Got to a 50 marauder within 5 days. Hated it, was very bored so never logged in. Giving a Sith Sourcerer healer one final go before quitting.

Thank Post
    Didn't hate it but then again didn't love it either.
    The initial joy of Whomm whomm lightsaber combat lost its patina after the first 2 weeks and while I may resub at some point I can't see myself bothering for the forseeable.
    Just not enough in the game to keep my attention, the Star Wars skin wasn't enough to make the same tired gamelplay feel new.

Storyline was good though.

Jedi Knight up to around level 30..

Thank Post
    Have been taking it slowly so far and have only got my Jedi Sentinel to 27.

Have been having loads of fun grouping with my brother - and enjoying the story fully.

Even though there are a fair few issues with the game - I think they have been one of the most open developers with fixing bugs etc (Just follow the dev tracker forum and you'll see)

Thank Post
    Raiding wise it all seems a bit easy at the moment, the different difficulty levels aren't really much harder than each other. We cleared Karagga's Palace on Nightmare in a couple of hours on Weds on our first attempt, just SoA in EV to go (and thats more a fight against bugs than the boss).

Like any MMO I don't expect it to be perfect at launch, it's where they take it from here thats important. And still having great fun going through the various storylines while they tweak the end game bits (level with friends, it's much more fun).
    Last edited by Valentine; 10th February 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I've been taking a break from WoW (and missing my Pala tank a lot) and decided to play SWTOR. Le Boyfriend was given it for Xmas by Dear Brother-in-law (curse him) and it looked fun. Since we met in WoW and like to game together (we're a good team) I bought a copy too (HOW MUCH???!! *gasp*). Le Boyfriend has barely reached level 20 and he's bored of it already. I've hit 22 and I'm also bored. Same mechanics as every other MMO but without the ability to easily join dungeons and group quests (at least Pugging in WoW you get 1 good group in 5 as opposed to no groups at all!). What galled me the most was that the game came with 1 month free subscription but would not let me play without putting in my bank details and committing to a DD!!!! Why? I had a month of pre-paid game time!

At first I loved how involved I was with the story and how my choices changed the path of my questing, but now I'm starting to get very cheesed off with the constant 'conversations' - many of which are totally pointless and I find myself watching TV until I am presented with my 'choices' - this makes levelling very very slow as I tend to be a 'quest collector' type leveller who will collect as many quests as I can and do them as I go along, then hand them all in at once - this is very very arduous in SWTOR as I am participating in endless conversations. I agree that some of that content type is valuable - like the character lore arc and interactions with your mentor, but am I really interested in listening to some minion blather on about his dissatisfied wife and how he should spend more time with her? Ack, no. I even have the sound switched off now so I just let them blather on until I get a choice selection (at which point I select the most evil option - dark side points and all that). This is not how a game should make me feel - I want to be immersed in the world and disappear into it for a few hours! It is impossible to become immersed in SWTOR because the conversations interrupt the flow of the game.

I had hoped I might stick with it to level 50 and see what opportunities open up, but I suspect it will be exactly the same as WoW - an endless gear-chasing exercise while you struggle to get gear good enough for end game instances, then by the time you are ready, new content has come out and you are undergeared again.

At the moment I play because it's something new, but TBH I'm getting a bit tired of the MMO format and might go back to stand-alone games. When Skyrim comes down I might give it a crack and I'm looking forward to Diablo III. You never know, I might even regress back to Tomb Raider!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had a look at the pre-launch beta....

I was quite impressed, but found that it just didn't grab me.

MMO's are, in my opinion, just a way of farming people's bank accounts. I'd played EvE before, so knew the score. The way that they get you after the initial "Free period" is nothing short of fraudulent behaviour. (Again....my opinion only!)

Many recent games have had me scampering off to distantly-remembered classics. The sort of game that you could play, enjoy, and dip in and out of without feeling like you HAVE to be on to level up, or make that trade.

Perhaps it's just my age.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    MMO's are, in my opinion, just a way of farming people's bank accounts. I'd played EvE before, so knew the score. The way that they get you after the initial "Free period" is nothing short of fraudulent behaviour. (Again....my opinion only!)

Many recent games have had me scampering off to distantly-remembered classics. The sort of game that you could play, enjoy, and dip in and out of without feeling like you HAVE to be on to level up, or make that trade.

Perhaps it's just my age.......
    I'm younger than you, and I agree.

Although, Guildwars is a[n?] MMO and it's free-ish. You have to buy the game and expansions like WoW, but there are no subscription.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The subscription model is shrinking, I'm frankly surprised that SWTOR picked it in the first place. There are too many games out there that I want to play and F2P is ideal as I can drop the game and play something else, then go back to it. But only if the transactions are well thought out and not a rip-off, otherwise I just freeload and go as far as I can for nothing.

Thank Post
    I played it in the Beta and found it to be not up to the hype my burnt out wow buddies were giving it at the time (I am one of those types that has a lot of patience for RP and I found the conversations with everything pretty much instantly tedious) It didnt play too badly I thought, just didnt offer enough overall to sway me massively when I tried it.

I think thats the trouble with these "niche" mmos, having tried loads of them lately when you get over the initial "oooh lightsabers, ooh superheros, oooh phasers, ooh minstrel !" then there isnt a lot to stay when the initial interest wears off the games arent hugely polished or different enough to keep interest (at least from where I am standing). Lots of my friends have already give up on SWTOR, I chose not to waste any money on it myself after the beta.

That being said, I cant wait for Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, both look quite impressive while wows pending expansion looks a bit laughable compared to previous offerings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    The subscription model is shrinking, I'm frankly surprised that SWTOR picked it in the first place. There are too many games out there that I want to play and F2P is ideal as I can drop the game and play something else, then go back to it. But only if the transactions are well thought out and not a rip-off, otherwise I just freeload and go as far as I can for nothing.
    I agree - especially given the initial cost of the game! I also hear rumours that there is a limited shelf-life on SWTOR so why invest time and money in it?

I bought a years subscription to WoW because I still love it and will still play it, but I've given up ever hoping to see raid or endgame content now as I don't have the time to gearfarm, so I potter about in the world playing for the fun of it. My years subscription comes with a free copy of Diablo III and I'm getting pretty impatient for it now as I am dying to try it - I've never played a Diablo game but friends of mine loved it and from what I've seen it looks a lot of fun. Being single player too means I can pick it up and put it down at my leisure.

Re: Mists of Pandaria, they have introduced so much content too quickly to satisfy a small number of elitists who smash through the content in minutes (*cough*Semper Fidelis*/cough* - a guild on our realm who possess all the realm firsts). They are upping the level cap AGAIN meaning MORE levelling and gear chasing before many players have ever even SEEN end game content from the previous 3 expansions. By the time I was ready for end game in Burning Crusades, they released Lich King, so I have never been into Black Temple. I managed to see some of Icecrown Citadel and fight the Lich King but never managed to complete as we always failed the defile! They released Cataclysm and all the 'Troll' patches, but they've opened up the endgame content and I don't stand a hope in hell of getting the time to gear up and see this before MoP (and don't get me started on raid leaders demanding achievements!).

They are introducing ANOTHER new class that again does pretty much what two other classes do, they can just do the two things together. It's like the love child of a rogue and shaman with a bit of druidishness for good measure. Which of course means that for the first few months EVERY group will have at least 2 Pandaran Monks nicking Druid or hunter gear (I can't remember if they are Leather or Mail wearers) while they 'decide' how they are going to play their toon.

If SWTOR reduced their subscription I'd be more inclined to continue with it, but having just had my debit card details stolen and the card cancelled, I am giving serious consideration to not bothering to 'fix' the direct debit in SWTOR.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Erm, I'd probably cancel it before the due date just in-case.

Personally I am looking forwards to Mists of Pandaria. The much hated pet collection system looks like a tacky Pokémon rip-off but a fun little side-line (remember pets and achievements are expected to go account-wide!). Content expansions are an exciting thing in MMOs provided they are correctly handled and Blizzard have a track record for that. Look at City of Heroes, great game but their handling of expansions are awful. I bought Going Rogue and then it was taken away in the F2P update whilst City of Villains was rolled into the base game!

Thank Post
    I was talking to a mate of mine the other day funny enough about cataclysm (he quit for SWTOR and already binned the game off as said previous) we both agreed that cataclysm is a very poor expansion pack offering, its very short on content or the epic feeling of previous expansions and raids we both agreed, especially the end game "Dragon Soul" encounter, this was quite poor and suprising how people blitzed through this, especially compared to the previous 2, MoP when we saw the news from blizzcon, we were both actually laughing on ventrilo about how it was some wierd joke, it seems on the offset to be a ripoff of the kungfu panda movies.

That being said, you dont need to be hardcore in the game now to raid, the raid finder does pug style raiding allowing you to get gear and see the end game content as and when you want to raid, all you need to be eligible to join this is minimal gear that you can get from the AH/starting heroics, its worth a try for sure and its revitalised my gaming a bit now I gave up hardcore style raiding.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread