+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, PS3 Region Locking? in Fun Stuff; Hi, When the PS3 was first released it wasnt locked to a particular region. Is this still the case please? ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

PS3 Region Locking?

Hi,

When the PS3 was first released it wasnt locked to a particular region. Is this still the case please? I have asked about and get a few conflicting reports.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope, firmware kinda screwed that up. Lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as I am aware games are not region locked but blu-ray/dvd is so your UK one could play AU games I *think* but definitely not locked blu-rays or dvds.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    From Wikipedia...

The PlayStation 3 is region-free for PS3 games. There's only region locking for backwards compatible PS2 and PS1 games, as well as DVD and Blu-ray Disc movies. Additionally, some games separate online players per region, such as Metal Gear Solid 4 Online. A PSN store only contains content for its own country, for example the UK store will not supply usable map packs for an imported US copy of Call of Duty 4. The PS3 actually supports hardware region locking for PS3 games as well, based on Blu-ray regions, but as of current it is unused and all current region lockouts and separations are about online services. The PS3 also restricts the access to PlayStation Network by region, such as the online store, news and upcoming releases. (Source)
    Europe, Australia and New Zealand are all in Region B, so Australian Blu-rays will play on a UK PS3 (and vice versa). Some Blu-ray movies are region ABC and will therefore work on any Blu-ray player. Check before you buy though.

DVDs are a different matter however, since the UK is Region 2, while Australia is Region 4.

If you are thinking of using the PS3 to play ripped Blu-Ray's, you should also watch out for Cinavia which is featured on some (mainly Sony) Blu-ray movies...

Known hardware which can detect Cinavia watermarks include the PlayStation 3 (began with v3.10 system software), as well as newer Blu-ray players. Cinavia is not detected in a DTS audio stream on PS3 (must have Optical Out (S/PDIF) or HDMI, w/DTS receiver). (Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Hi,

When the PS3 was first released it wasnt locked to a particular region. Is this still the case please? I have asked about and get a few conflicting reports.

Thanks
    UK is same region as AU for games I import most my games from the UK, just waiting PES arriving any day...

($110 for 2 copies from amazon.co.uk incl delivery, to buy it here is like $120 for a single copy!)

Cant help you about blurays though Ive never tried.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Blu Rays and DVDs are what the PS3 firmware has stopped. It used to be region free, but now it isn't. The old fat PS3s can be rolled back to 1.4 firmware (I think) and then it will be region free, but you can't play many of your games on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread