Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Most Epic Battlefield 3 Moments in Fun Stuff; Shame. Going to get it tomorrow and give it a try. Anyone played mw3 and battlefield here? any big differences? ...
    Thank Post
    Shame. Going to get it tomorrow and give it a try. Anyone played mw3 and battlefield here? any big differences? (and dont just say its better! lol)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincharisma View Post
    Shame. Going to get it tomorrow and give it a try. Anyone played mw3 and battlefield here? any big differences? (and dont just say its better! lol)
    I had MW3 and traded it in for BF3. I will admit, for the first hour or so I struggled to get in to it (I've had every CoD that's been on 360) because the gameplay seems so different and it's a lot harder. Once you do get in to it though (just a matter of forgetting bad habits picked up in CoD), it's a much more rewarding game to play, you genuinely will find yourself starting to work as a team and when it all comes together you feel like a mother-f'ing champion (to paraphrase Kenny Powers)

Gameplay wise, two things caught me out: although controls are almost identical, if you hold the knife button, the knife stays out, you need to tap it for a quick stab. Also, a knife isn't a guaranteed kill like it is in CoD unless you sneak up behind someone, then you get a very satisfying stealth kill. Second - if you have to jump out of a chopper, don't forget to open your parachute!

EDIT: just wanted to add, on the sound advice of @nephilim you should try some team deathmatch first if you're used to CoD, it's the closest you'll get to CoD in BF3 with people running around after kills and will give you a chance to get a feel for the game. My favourite game mode right now is Squad Deathmatch - like TDM, but with 4 small teams competing head to head, tend to get more team strategy play than in TDM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    if you have to jump out of a chopper, don't forget to open your parachute!
    I will remember this!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I got my first jet kill last night! Also playing with the throttle (Left trigger on XBox controller) slows your craft down so you can chase people from behind.

Thank Post
    Yea once you learn that you don't need the throttle it soon becomes easier.

Drop the throttle and you can do some nifty stuff like cutting the engines mid air when being chased......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I got my first jet kill last night! Also playing with the throttle (Left trigger on XBox controller) slows your craft down so you can chase people from behind.
    Might be a daft question, but is there a better way of learning to fly than jumping in and having a go? i.e. should I give campaign a play through to learn to fly?

Thank Post
    Might be a daft question, but is there a better way of learning to fly than jumping in and having a go? i.e. should I give campaign a play through to learn to fly?
    Nope, literally just have a bash at it and start trying to drop your throttle, soon teaches you how to fly around.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Nope, literally just have a bash at it and start trying to drop your throttle, soon teaches you how to fly around.
    OK, then can anyone tell me the basic controls? I tried flying a chopper, pulled the left trigger and it flipped on to it's back and exploded... I've not tried since!

Thank Post
    OK, then can anyone tell me the basic controls? I tried flying a chopper, pulled the left trigger and it flipped on to it's back and exploded... I've not tried since!
    Everyone's done that. When I got in a jet for the first time, I was figuring out which buttons on my Xbox pad did what. I bailed out in mid air. :|

Try going onto a 24 man conquest. There are always jets available to grab, and thee is more chance of staying in the air longer instead of being shot down.

Thank Post
    Epic moment yesterday. Managed to sneak all the way up to an enemy tank that was in in the open. I had no cover but got close enough to get 3 pieces of C4 onto it.

Backed away and as I stopped, his barrel turned and he pointed it right at me. Must have detonated the C4 just before he fired. Double kill thank you please.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Everyone's done that. When I got in a jet for the first time, I was figuring out which buttons on my Xbox pad did what. I bailed out in mid air. :|

Try going onto a 24 man conquest. There are always jets available to grab, and thee is more chance of staying in the air longer instead of being shot down.
    OK, looks like it's a case of man up and go for it! Am I at least right to assume the controls are pretty standard, i.e. left trigger is throttle, right is fire, left stick is pitch, right stick is yaw?

EDIT: not sure I have pitch and yaw the right way, by pitch I mean tilt/steering, by yaw I mean altitude...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    How you finding the xbox controller to use? I like it over keyboard/mouse for air.

Thank Post
    OK, looks like it's a case of man up and go for it! Am I at least right to assume the controls are pretty standard, i.e. left trigger is throttle, right is fire, left stick is pitch, right stick is yaw?

EDIT: not sure I have pitch and yaw the right way, by pitch I mean tilt/steering, by yaw I mean altitude...
    Xbox default controls on PC if I remember correctly:

Right trigger - Accelerate
    left Trigger - Decelerate
    Left Shoulder button - Fire
    Right Shoulder Button - Flares (when you get the unlocked)
    Left Stick - Yaw
    Left Stick Push - Afterburner
    Right Stick - Turning
    Right Stick Push - 3rd Person View (on non-hardcore servers)
    Blue - Change Weapons? (when you have more unlocked)
    Yellow - Bail Out?
    D-Pad - Look around?
    Unsure about Green & Red!

If any of those are wrong, I'm sure someone can correct me.

I'm mouse and keyboard for everything, but reach for my 36-0 pad in the jet/chopper. I can handle the aircraft so much better with it.
    Last edited by Rawns; 25th November 2011 at 02:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Xbox default controls on PC if I remember correctly:

Right trigger - Accelerate
    left Trigger - Decelerate
    Left Shoulder button - Fire
    Right Shoulder Button - Flares (when you get the unlocked)
    Left Stick - Yaw
    Left Stick Push - Afterburner
    Right Stick - Turning
    Right Stick Push - 3rd Person View (on non-hardcore servers)
    Blue - Change Buttons?
    Yellow - Bail Out?
    D-Pad - Look around?
    Unsure about Green & Red!

If any of those are wrong, I'm sure someone can correct me.

I'm mouse and keyboard for everything, but reach for my 36-0 pad in the jet/chopper. I can handle the aircraft so much better with it.
    Cheers, looks like deceleration might have been my problem; assuming it's similar for the chopper, it's no wonder I drive it into the ground! I'd +rep you but apparently I've been a bit too rep-happy these past 24 hours!

Thank Post
    I'd +rep you but apparently I've been a bit too rep-happy these past 24 hours!
    Remember me tomorrow!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast