+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Gaming Thread, The iConsole on its way? in Fun Stuff; And there is always room to muscle in, or wait for one of the big boys to slip up. Remember ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And there is always room to muscle in, or wait for one of the big boys to slip up. Remember Sega?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    And there is always room to muscle in, or wait for one of the big boys to slip up. Remember Sega?
    True but with all three of the main players already (sony/ms/nintendo) announcing new consoles or more than likely having new consoles in the pipeline) it would require a MAJOR slipup.
    More likely they will become a lesser known console....iConsole, the next Jaguar!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is also the question of backwards compatability with the current generation of consoles to take into consideration. If one or two of the current major console manufacturers release a new console that is not backwards compatable, that would give Apple a big 'in' to the market.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 13th October 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Don't forget OnLive which can maybe even run on the apple tv

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    iConsole = iPad 2 or iPhone 4S + AirPlay Mirroring + Apple TV?
    Tried that ... the quality of the graphic is not that brilliant. It was fun to try to play Infinity Blade on a 42" screen though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right now Microsoft and Sony are working on the respective Xbox NuGen and PS4 consoles and so far each console in their range is backwards compatible. I can play PS1 games on my PS3 and original xbox games on my 360, so backwards compatibility is not really an issue for Sony or MS.

Nintendo are working on the new Wii which will have motion detectors like the kinect which will be backwards compatible according to nintendo.

Apple are going to have to work really really hard to crack this market, and no doubt an iTunes account will be needed for this. I can see one advantage that they would probably crack them out with 2TB drives, and make everything through iTunes and compatible for the "console" and "Mac" thereby doing crossover platforming the likes of counterstrike but probably better

I however wont be buying into it, not because I hate apple or anything (I like my ipod massively) but because I am very very happy with my current consoles and dont see the need for anything else

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I am very very happy with my current consoles and dont see the need for anything else
    now thats not the apple spirit is it! what you meant was, i have a wii, xbox360, ps3 and ds but NEEEEED the iConsole because its the bestest and nothing else plays games

Thank Post
    Right now Microsoft and Sony are working on the respective Xbox NuGen and PS4 consoles and so far each console in their range is backwards compatible. I can play PS1 games on my PS3 and original xbox games on my 360, so backwards compatibility is not really an issue for Sony or MS.
    I can play Japanese PS2 games on my old 20gb Japanese PS3, but I cant play my UK PS2 games on my UK PS3 slim. Taking out the dedicated chips to reduce unit cost is quite normal, but has destroyed backwards compatibility as they've not supported it with decent emulation software.

They are now going down the route of selling you PS2 games on the PS3 via PSN, not quite the same as backwards compatible.

It'll be interesting to see how much they invest in being able to play your old games on the new consoles, when they can sell them to you again.

The new Wii will not support gamecube games anymore.

I personally wouldnt want an apple tv/console device regardless.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 13th October 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My original PS3 (big one, not the slim) supports PS2 and PS1 so it works for me, I did not know that about the slim version.

As for my attitude towards apple, no, sorry, they wont get my business as my PS3 and Xbox fulfill my needs and the Xbox and Wii fulfill my Mrs' needs and the Wii by itself fulfills my daughters needs (she loves playing wall-e even if she cant play it well). Why would we need another one.

I know several people who would get it just because its apple. I know several who would never get it just because its apple.

I would see what its like in stores, but make no concerted effort to buy it because I have no need too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It appears Microsoft is making steps in the direction of supplying cable services over the Xbox 360: Microsoft whips Apple with global Xbox TV deals ? The Register

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can get some of my sky channel on the Xbox...when they do freeview with it I'll be a happy man as it is essentially multiroom without the cost

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Probably be an iOS device with high end graphics. Trouble is, why should they venture into this market when PC, Xbox and PS3 already own the gaming domain with Wii picking up the rear for consoles?
    There was a cloud version going into gaming that started in the USA that relied on your net connection - think the graphics on this weren't brilliant but at least you could buy titles online and play them straight away

Once they upgrade the iphone hardware wise enough - am sure this will be there phone / ipod / gaming device ( similar to a nintendo ds or dsi etc ) ??

Thank Post
    I'm now wondering how far Apple are going to try and take all this. We already have the iPod, iPhone and iPad, now the idea (should that be iDea???) of what'll doubltless be called something like the iPlay.

What next?

iView? (telly/dvd player combo)
    iSee? (dedicated camera)
    iRon? (you get the idea)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    I'm now wondering how far Apple are going to try and take all this. We already have the iPod, iPhone and iPad, now the idea (should that be iDea???) of what'll doubltless be called something like the iPlay.

What next?

iView? (telly/dvd player combo)
    iSee? (dedicated camera)
    iRon? (you get the idea)
    I'm more concerned about when they eventually try to patent and regulate iMagination and activly sue anyone for thinking stuff up unless they are employees of Apple and have a liscence to that patent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by painejake View Post
    Don't forget OnLive which can maybe even run on the apple tv
    That is what I meant - I just couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called, thanks

iPun, what about pIneapple ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 14th October 2011 at 12:53 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12