+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Gaming Thread, EduGeek Battlefield 3 PC Platoon in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Geoff Thats because it actually was a beta test and not a demo like MoH. Medal of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Thats because it actually was a beta test and not a demo like MoH.
    Medal of honor was a beta, because after a month it closed, a week was used to fix bugs then the game got shipped out! Win win and in general it was a good game (although I am trading it in later this month along with a few other games to get some moneys off my xbox live subscription)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I cant wait for it. Console HD will apparently be as good as PC if not better according to DICE
    This made me chuckle! I really don't think that console BF3 will look and play as well as the PC version. The 360 is almost 6 years old now and BF3 has been designed on current tech. The best it will most likely be able to run at is about 30FPS (if that), the HD will be of sub-standard as the chip won't be able to handle top end stuff, no anti-aliasing etc. And 64-man can't be supported because of the demand for resource. The console rez is already going to be scaled down slightly to squeeze out extra performance. Johan Andersson, rendering architech at Dice tweeted:

"#BF3 is 1280704 on both PS3 and 360. removing a few lines from 720p saves good perf & memory for us."

Yes, I'm sure the majority of PC players won't be running on ultra but most will be able to manage medium, and even on low it still looks nice. Anyway, I think that most PC games would be happy to shell out a bit more money to upgrade.

The beta did not even contain any high quality textures and it still looked awesome. Not sure how the console beta looked but I'll be sure to look for some comparison pictures when the main game is released and PC games can max out their graphics.

I played the first BF game on my PC, and played every other one on it since. The best fun I've had in a online game has always been in a 64 man battlefiled game with a squad of mates. I'll be keeping that rolling with the PC version after a small upgrade.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    XBOX HD

PC Ultra

My eyes cant see too much of a difference.

Thank Post
    They are not ultra PC images as ultra textures were not included in the beta.

They also appeared here for a similar discussion: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...-settings.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough, its still decent enough for a console!! It is comparable to PC on high then...

Thank Post
    Fair enough, its still decent enough for a console!! It is comparable to PC on high then...
    Medium. Only low and medium textures were included in the beta for PC.

Which actually worked out well though for me as I could only squeeze 30 FPS max on my PC for the Metro map making it playable. Roll on Christmas for my upgrade!

Shame the 32 man side of it is not cross platform either.

Edit: Interesting 360 v PS3 comparison here: http://www.gamepur.com/news/5503-bf3...omparison.html
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th October 2011 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep 100% PC will look vastly better as well as having 32/64 man where as console is 24 max. Xbox and PS3 are DX9 equiv consoles so the PC is far ahead.
    I am pretty sure BF3 will support DX11 features as well such as tessellation which always looks pimp and this is before we get to 3D vision which rocked in BC2.

PC ftw

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Granted pc is superior...I just hate having to continually upgrade...and BTW, Xbox slim and ps3 are dx10 equivalent...so not too far behind :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Yep 100% PC will look vastly better as well as having 32/64 man where as console is 24 max. Xbox and PS3 are DX9 equiv consoles so the PC is far ahead.
    I am pretty sure BF3 will support DX11 features as well such as tessellation which always looks pimp and this is before we get to 3D vision which rocked in BC2.

PC ftw
    Interesting! I though that console was 32 man only, not 24. 12 v 12 will be 'OK' but for big full scale battle, 32 v 32 will be where the real party is!!!

Also, I'm excited about the co-op! I like a bit of co-op for change so this should be goooood!

I am slightly worried though, I've heard a rumour that their seriously nasty web interface server browser will be the same in the full game! :O

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Granted pc is superior...I just hate having to continually upgrade...and BTW, Xbox slim and ps3 are dx10 equivalent...so not too far behind :-)
    Erm no?? the ps3 and xbox (slim has no enhanced graphics) have DX9 feature set with a few extras but its no where near dx10 feature set and this is before we get to dx11. Consoles are like DX9+ but not DX10 and this is before we get to memory limitations.

Thank Post
    I just hate having to continually upgrade
    Likewise! It's costly and time consuming, however I've not upgraded for 6 years now, so I think it's about time I invested in a new rig. And BF3 is the perfect excuse for it..... provided I can convince the wife of course!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Likewise! It's costly and time consuming, however I've not upgraded for 6 years now, so I think it's about time I invested in a new rig. And BF3 is the perfect excuse for it..... provided I can convince the wife of course!
    Yeh upgrades can be a pain but it really depends on how much value/hours you get out of them. I get a good entertainment to ratio from my pc and poor from my consoles as nowadays I dont play on them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See I used to absolutely own on the PC, I spent a good few hours a day on there, but since developing carpal tunnel, I had to stop until I have my operation. I since turned to my xbox and seemingly get much more enjoyment, I haven't rage quit on the console whereas I used to on the PC where people were clearly using hacks but not getting caught by punkbuster/VAC/ACI etc.

I suppose its swings and roundabouts, if I was using the PC more, then I would probably not be moaning, but its sheerly for the fact that it causes so much pain (literally) that I enjoy my console more.

PC wise - since last year I have spent maybe 10 hours a week at the most on the PC/Laptop
    Xbox - since last year I have spent up to 5 hours in an evening not realising how much time has passed on there (the mrs will tend to watch if I am playing a shooter)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Yeh upgrades can be a pain but it really depends on how much value/hours you get out of them. I get a good entertainment to ratio from my pc and poor from my consoles as nowadays I dont play on them.
    Likewise. Usually my missus does not have an issue with me investing in good kit because I use my PC a lot and she knows it will last a good few years and we will get value for money from it. Barely a day goes by where I don;t use my PC for one reason or another. Recently, I was happy with my old 19" LCD monitor that was almost 6 years old. The wife moaned at me recently and practically made me go out an buy a 24" widescreen! God I love her!!!!

However, being close to crimbo, and going to Dublin for a week at the end of the month means it may be a hard task getting a upgrade.

Thank Post
    Your missus watches you play?! Nice! Mine has no interest what so ever despite how much I try to get her to show interest! She's much happier wandering off and watching trashy TV in the lounge, which leaves me free for some teamspeak action.

Also that's another reason why I have stayed away from the consoles. I did have a Xbox 360 a couple of years ago, but I could never get to play it as the missus dominated the TV!

We can all play on the new CS in the new year. That's cross platform.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast