+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Gaming Thread, Want to build a new Home PC in Fun Stuff; I've got a AMD 6950 2GB and I have't yet been able to max it out on any game when ...
    Thank Post
    I've got a AMD 6950 2GB and I have't yet been able to max it out on any game when just using a single monitor so I wouldn't expect that you would need something quite that powerful.

You might also want to take a look at the new AMD Fusion APUs - the quad core ones are powerful enough to runs games on without a dedicated graphics card (because the processor also includes a GPU that is muuuuch more powerful than Intel onboard graphics).

Thank Post
    Inititially I was thinking of getting a i7 27 inch mac but the costing at the moment and money restrictions its more logical for me to build a pc machine at a fraction of the cost and probably loaded with more stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    what about cpu cooling? at the moment i have a near silent pc (silent gpu etc) but have a stealth ninja cooler which takes up a massive amount of room. if you're spending nearly £200 on a cpu you'd want it cooled nicely without too much noise (i'm also looking at building a pc again as mine is about 6 years old)

might have to get mine bit by bit over the months as i cant afford one big payout.

one thing with the cases, i have an antec p180 at the moment and the dual compartment thing is really good. the psu and hard drives sit at the bottom in a compartment separate from the mobo and rest, with a little hole for running power to the bits that need it. it makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on, quieter, and a cleaner look inside. ideally i'd like a silent gpu again but i'm guessing the cost of those will be pushed up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 999 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    what about cpu cooling? at the moment i have a near silent pc (silent gpu etc) but have a stealth ninja cooler which takes up a massive amount of room. if you're spending nearly £200 on a cpu you'd want it cooled nicely without too much noise (i'm also looking at building a pc again as mine is about 6 years old)

might have to get mine bit by bit over the months as i cant afford one big payout.

one thing with the cases, i have an antec p180 at the moment and the dual compartment thing is really good. the psu and hard drives sit at the bottom in a compartment separate from the mobo and rest, with a little hole for running power to the bits that need it. it makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on, quieter, and a cleaner look inside. ideally i'd like a silent gpu again but i'm guessing the cost of those will be pushed up.
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU.. | Ebuyer.com - complete kit, with barely any faffing about, reputedly.

If you want to properly go down the watercooling route you can get custom water blocks for GPUs as well.

Thank Post
    I was just about to mention AMD's Fusion APUs but @jamesfed beat me to it. Anyhow, if you get the A series(?) you can buy an ATI graphics card and enable crossfire between the APU and the GPU on the card. Even cheap cards gain a massive improvement. Plus the Fusion APUs are quite cheap.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU.. | Ebuyer.com - complete kit, with barely any faffing about, reputedly.

If you want to properly go down the watercooling route you can get custom water blocks for GPUs as well.
    don't really want to do watercooling as that will bump the price up even more. i can reuse my psu as that is still decent, but at the moment im looking at cpu+cooler/mobo/case/hdd/mem/vga so dont want to add watercooling to that!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    don't really want to do watercooling as that will bump the price up even more. i can reuse my psu as that is still decent, but at the moment im looking at cpu+cooler/mobo/case/hdd/mem/vga so dont want to add watercooling to that!
    It's only £60 (only, he says) so not that far off some of the decent tower coolers anyway. It doesn't seem to need too much in the way of massive radiators and pipe routing either, as it's a fairly small self contained unit though.

I know what feature creep can be like in a PC though, my last build started out as a plan at £500 and ended up about £650

Thank Post
    Well I am gonna sit down on the weekend and go through all your suggestions and do some research of my own too and see what i come up with. I dont know this maybe Trivial or a silly idea but it might be cool to have a page dedicated to 3 or four spec custom variants that all of us come up with and have a page on the site.

For example EDUECO Range, EDUSCHOOL Range, EDUHOME Range. and basically under each heading have 3 options Light Medium and Heavy usage.

Dunno I just woke up sounds good but might be completely silly altogether lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    Well I am gonna sit down on the weekend and go through all your suggestions and do some research of my own too and see what i come up with. I dont know this maybe Trivial or a silly idea but it might be cool to have a page dedicated to 3 or four spec custom variants that all of us come up with and have a page on the site.

For example EDUECO Range, EDUSCHOOL Range, EDUHOME Range. and basically under each heading have 3 options Light Medium and Heavy usage.

Dunno I just woke up sounds good but might be completely silly altogether lol
    It's a great idea in theory... but in practice it'd need udpating so frequently it'd become a chore, and there's already plenty of tech sites out there doing the same thing (TechReport, AnandTech, Ars Technica, many others). Most of the time the parts recommended on US websites are available over here as well, except in a few rare examples (usually with cases); the only problem is you'll realise how much higher the cost is over here!

Thank Post
    Yeah i was just thinking that when i went over to fix a printer. Too much to update i guess maybe if it was set up so every 3 months or something or half a year a updated version would be shown to kinda filter it out and not overload. But i totally agree with you too much work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    I've got a AMD 6950 2GB and I have't yet been able to max it out on any game when just using a single monitor so I wouldn't expect that you would need something quite that powerful.
    Same here. Everything just gets set to max and away I go. I haven't even heard it spin the fan up yet!

Also once it starts get a bit older you can flash the bios and make it into 6970!

Thank Post
    do what i done barebones bundle from novatech £300 and then £200 graphics card crysis 2 on extreame hardly knocks the preformance off and cs5 runs superbe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12