+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Duke Nukem Forever in Fun Stuff; I'm guessing that the game has been continually been built on from the version they had 10 years ago?! They ...

Thank Post
    I'm guessing that the game has been continually been built on from the version they had 10 years ago?!

They should have just wiped what they had and started fresh with a new game engine rather then try ad bring 10 year old technology up to today's standards!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I'm guessing that the game has been continually been built on from the version they had 10 years ago?!

They should have just wiped what they had and started fresh with a new game engine rather then try ad bring 10 year old technology up to today's standards!
    it says its built using unreal engine, but it looks like the original unreal engine!!

Thank Post
    |The Unreal 3 Engine? The same engine they are using now to develop games for the iPhone?! Hahahahaha!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    |The Unreal 3 Engine? The same engine they are using now to develop games for the iPhone?! Hahahahaha!!!!
    perhaps thats the point so they can flog ti to gullible iphone owners?

Thank Post
    This game was destined to be awful. I have not played it yet and will not buy it, they should have put it to rest years ago.

Thank Post
    I'm kinda liking it so far, I get the impression they've intentionally created a dated game - it almost has the feel of the originals which is the whole reason any of us are playing it I suppose

It is a tad too easy... just got to this bit and lol'd - YouTube - &#x202aNew Duke Nukem Forever Gameplay - Halo Easter Egg (Master Chief Armor)&#x202c‏ (NSFW - as you'd expect from duke!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    I'm glad I didn't buy this "new" Duke game. Looking at the playthrough videos on Youtube, it looks really dated, consolefied and boring.

Joystiq Review: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/10/du...the-king-baby/

Want to play the true successor to Duke Nukem 3D? It's called Bulletstorm.
    The game looks like it's been steadily bumped up to HD resolution over the past decade or so, and had modern effects sparingly applied to its overly brown visuals. The whole thing is lousy with screen tearing and what can only be unintentional slowdown. NPCs even lack shadows. Things get worse in multiplayer, which almost looks like it runs on an even more basic engine than the single-player campaign -- and fittingly features about as basic a list of multiplayer modes as you could imagine. It's also about as lag-filled as they come, too, with all but the widest-spraying weapons rendered useless as clunky Dukes judder around the wholly unimpressive multiplayer maps.
    Guardian Review: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...er-game-review

If this was 15 years in the making, it makes you wonder what they did for the other 14 years and 10 months.
    Neowin Review: http://www.neowin.net/news/review-duke-nukem-forever

So overall it isnít really worth your money, at least not until it drastically drops in price. We found it generally unfunny, irritating in places, and sadly not all that much fun to play. Duke Nukem Forever can also be buggy on occasions and graphical performance on both the consoles and on PC is not what you would hope from a game that looks so dated. It has its moments, but they are few and far between. Hardcore Duke Nukem fans may find something to love here, but in the end, you can only live on rude jokes alone for a short time when there is very little in the terms of decent gameplay on show. Gaming history can only take you so far.
    Last edited by Arthur; 11th June 2011 at 12:10 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm going to go against the tide here and say actually, I liked it.

No it wasnt worth the 14 year wait, but taken on its own its a decent enough game, best enjoyed after a beer or two though.

Thank Post
    I saw it for £29.99 in Best Buy, but couldn't bring myself to buy it.

It just feels wrong being able to buy it after all these years :P

Thank Post
    £39.99 in Game, £30is at most online retailers (Xbox360) they are having a laff! Ill pick this up in a couple of months for £10!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get the complaints about it. It looks cartoony. It isn't supposed to be super HD/crysis type graphics.

Looks fun to me anyway. Games to me aren't about graphics.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't get the complaints about it. It looks cartoony. It isn't supposed to be super HD/crysis type graphics.

Looks fun to me anyway. Games to me aren't about graphics.
    It's not specifically the graphics. It is the animation (very jerky scripted sequences) among other things. Levels dont seem to be well thought out, it plays like a poorer cousin of Serious Sam. Graphics may not be everything, but if you watch the NPC's walk away and you can clearly see the animation loop in their walk, then something isn't right. If you can also see jagged lines around their faces something still isn't right.
    I wasn't expecting Crysis style graphics, I was expecting a game 14 odd years in the making to play well and not play as though it had been designed as an addon to DN3D.
    It may look fun from the trailers etc, but trust me the idea of controlling "pi$$ing in a toilet" or "picking up a turd to throw about" soon get boring. Some games, like GTA, have replay value in the fact you can go around and discover things you haven't before. This doesn't to me.

One level for example is set in a strip club. It's mean to be while you are knocked out and imagine it. You have to find some food, a vibrator and a condom (that is the levels objective). You can go into the toilets and pi$$ as described, or wash your hands or dry them. You can also use the condom machine to get that item. In the main room you can watch the badly animated strippers. You can go to either the strippers changing room or staff room to put popcorn in a microwave and thats the second item. You can also look in the strippers locker for the vibrator. Once you have all three you go via the games room (you can play slot machines or pool) and into the champagne room for a lap dance...with a stripper who clearly has the half life style skin where the underwear is painted on the skin, so as she moves you can see the underwear part of the skin disappear into the leg part of the skin.
    Duke then wakes up and thats it. Absolutely no replay value there, and unless watching a vibrator jump about on the floor is your thing, not really any humour or fun value there either.

As an addition, I have played through a few games where graphically it was fantastic, but the gameplay was rubbish. It was apparent the makers had spent all their time making it look nice in a hope it covered up the rubbish gameplay. Duke doesn't even have the saving grace of the graphics even though the gameplay is dire
    Last edited by MK-2; 14th June 2011 at 10:24 AM.

Thank Post
    I like immature humor in my games, but that just sounds a bit OTT.... :S

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    The PC version is £22.49 on the GetGames website. According to HotUKDeals you can register this on Steam too.

Another review...
    Duke Nukem Forever: barely playable, not funny, rampantly offensive

Thank Post
    I got it for £24 but I've had it on preorder from amazon for ages and they keep the price you order it at.
    It's... ok as long as you go into it expecting an average game. If you go into it expecting an amazing game that justifies the past 14 years of development time then you'll be very disappointed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast