+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Private Game Servers - Do you have one? in Fun Stuff; Just curious if anyone runs their own game servers and what mods you run on them if you do? I ...

Thank Post

Private Game Servers - Do you have one?

Just curious if anyone runs their own game servers and what mods you run on them if you do?

I have a media PC at home (Acer Revo) and decided to try running my own L4D2 server as me and my mates play campaigns a lot. It all started because we joined a German server that had Counter Strike weapons and wanted to play with the CS weapons more. After reading into it, only German (or modded) servers have CS:S weapons due to the game being "toned down", and to keep them happy they added more weapons.

The server setup worked worked a treat and after reading a few guides, I worked out how to add server mods, 3rd party levels etc. Now my server runs these Mods:

- Counter Strike Source Weapons - Adds the MP5, Scout, Gold and Krug weapons as well as the standard weapons
    - Exploding Cars - Awesome mod. cars explode after taking loads of gun fire, or being smashed by tanks! When they explode, they cause a mega-mob rush!
    - Special Ammo extra clips - When you pick up special ammo, you get either 1 clip of frag rounds or 3 clips of incendiary ammo
    - Special Weapon Resupply - You can resupply the M60 or Grenade launcher from bullet piles (but still drop them if you run out of ammo)
    - Crawling - when incapacitated, you can crawl away into a corner, orget out of spitter goo
    - Extra throwing weapon features - You can give plays molotov's, boomer bile, pipe bombs etc like you can with pills/adrenalin. You can also use them when incapacitated. Handy if your being rushed.

All these things give the game a new lease of life, as well as making it more interesting! The best thing about having your own server is enabeling cheats, and binding spawn commands to keys like "sv_spawn Tank" or sv_spawn Witch"! When you mate joins your server for the first time, "accidently" spawning 5 tanks next to him is comedy gold!
    Last edited by Rawns; 18th May 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Thank Post
    I've run quite a few game servers both for friends on the internet, and LANs.

srcds (Source Dedicated Server) is a great tool, had TF2/CS:S/L4D/L4D2 running no problems, run CoD4 as well using the cod4 linux server.

I do prefer having my own server for our group etc... there is nothing like having a real serious game of CS:S and turning gravity off.

I've started to use Multiplay for game servers, our Minecraft creations where getting a bit beyond my server and internet connection, and a 4man server is dirt cheap.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    I've started to use Multiplay for game servers, our Minecraft creations where getting a bit beyond my server and internet connection, and a 4man server is dirt cheap.
    Is your minecraft server open to anyone ? i'm currently looking for a new SMP server....

Edit: didn't tag on to the 4 man bit, sorry

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
    Is your minecraft server open to anyone ? i'm currently looking for a new SMP server....

It is open to anyone, I don't publicise the IP tho.

There are about 6-7 of us that use it and it just happens to line up that only 4 of us want to go on at a time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff View Post

You do realise EduGeek has a minecraft server?
    EduGeek Minecraft Server Details

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I play regular L4D matches with a clan called [CRO] who have their own server. I tried to run a server at home but getting it through my router is difficult. Ports get opened but the Source engine goes "Noooooo here's your local LAN address even though sv_lan is 0"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    You do realise EduGeek has a minecraft server?
    EduGeek Minecraft Server Details
    I did not realise this! PM'ing you my username now

Thank Post
    the group i game with chip together donations for a dedicated server, we run minecraft, cod4 (x 3), TF2 and brink on it as well as Teamspeak and anything else.

We also have a couple of black ops servers because you cant host them on dedis 1 match server 1 public.

We use TCAdmin to manage most of the servers, which is the same web based software game server providers use

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I play regular L4D matches with a clan called [CRO] who have their own server. I tried to run a server at home but getting it through my router is difficult. Ports get opened but the Source engine goes "Noooooo here's your local LAN address even though sv_lan is 0"
    I have that exact issue. Lucky my mates have no issues using Console to connect directly using my IP address.

However being able to join the server via a lobby would be great, but I just cant find a way to do it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    the group i game with chip together donations for a dedicated server, we run minecraft, cod4 (x 3), TF2 and brink on it as well as Teamspeak and anything else.
    Ahhh, Teamspeak. I love it. So much better then Vent IMO.

I also run a TS server on my media/L4D2 server. Luckily my router has "DynDNS" support so I signed up there and got a free account and free random domain name. Just popped my DynDNS login details into my router and my mates can always always connect via the domain name. Works a treat as if my router ever reboots or looses net connectivity, DynDNS gets instantly updated with my new IP address.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is there a way I can use my existing domain name to connect to my home network on a dynamic IP?

Thank Post
    Dyndns.org ftw, I use it aswell. Run Vent,minecraft, forum and a few other things as i feel the need to, rarely had an issue with port forwarding (though the list does need pruning as i think it's nearly a full A4 page now).

Didn't think of a dedi l4d server though, one of my housemates plays with friends so i may look into it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Is there a way I can use my existing domain name to connect to my home network on a dynamic IP?

I think there are subscription accounts with DynDNS that have a small monthly fee that allow you to link your own domain name to it. If your router does not have a built in DynDNS function, you can download and install an agent onto your PC which keeps them updated of your IP. Downside is your PC has to be on for that to happen.

Edit: Roughly £17 a year - http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/

"Only $29.95/year!

DynDNS Custom is our all-in-one managed DNS hosting solution for top level domains (ie. www.yoursite.com). With our simple Web interface, you're in complete control of your zones across five geographically diverse servers to ensure your domain's DNS resolution never fails."
    Last edited by Rawns; 19th May 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Nut View Post
    Dyndns.org ftw, I use it aswell. Run Vent,minecraft, forum and a few other things as i feel the need to, rarely had an issue with port forwarding (though the list does need pruning as i think it's nearly a full A4 page now).

Didn't think of a dedi l4d server though, one of my housemates plays with friends so i may look into it.
    I'd give it a bash. It's great fun having your own server! - Spawn tank! Spawn Mob! Spawn witch! Spawn tank! Spawn Mob! Spawn witch! Spawn tank! Spawn Mob! Spawn witch!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I'd give it a bash. It's great fun having your own server! - Spawn tank! Spawn Mob! Spawn witch! Spawn tank! Spawn Mob! Spawn witch! Spawn tank! Spawn Mob! Spawn witch!
    Indeed nothing like having direct physical access to the machine for the 'omg you did what to the voip server' when some eejit decides to give admin to a greifer who proceeds to remove everybody elses access, then gets upset when they loose access for a min only to find that they've lost all their access (don't ban them till they come back online as i love the abuse they then hurl)

TBH if I did decide on a l4d/l4d2 server i personally wouldn't use it, it would be for the housemate/friends as i play about 1-2 maps ever 3-6 months as i don't get on with the game and only play it when others (usually housemate) drag me on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread