+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, How long will before Win7 replaces WinXP as the pc gamers 1st choice ? in Fun Stuff; How long will WinXP have software gaming publishers support ?. Just wondered what the views are of the guys here. ...

Thank Post

How long will before Win7 replaces WinXP as the pc gamers 1st choice ?

How long will WinXP have software gaming publishers support ?.
    Just wondered what the views are of the guys here.

DICE developer Johan Andersson has indicated that Frostbite 2.0, the engine that will be behind future Battlefield titles, will not support Windows XP or DirectX 9.

WinXP is eventually going to lose developer support a least for games, but how long before Win7 finally becomes the operating system of choice for pc gamers,any views welcome.

My own personal guess would be 3 to 5 years till the major games developers kill of official WinXp support.

Thank Post
    Very good point, I imagine that it'll be direct x that has the final say.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect hardware manufacturers will also have a major part to play. Once hardware without XP drivers starts to become the norm (graphic cards etc) then it will accelerate the demise of XP. I suspect it will be on higher end hardware though as the lower end market will still want to support XP in the workplace, that and new technologies such as Intels Thunderbolt (although strangely I still can't find any Windows cards or harware with this on yet) and 64bit gaming which won't be catering for XP and it's going to be game over. Until then though we still have another Windows release scheduled for late next year to put a bigger gap between XP and the current Windows family.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tbh DX11/10 when used properly looks amazing and DX11 stuff is faster then DX10 (without tessolation) so if you have a card that can handle it I would upgrade now.
    Personally I know no gamers using XP now really.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Tbh DX11/10 when used properly looks amazing and DX11 stuff is faster then DX10 (without tessolation) so if you have a card that can handle it I would upgrade now.
    Personally I know no gamers using XP now really.
    Ditto,

Although I think most gamers are normally quite into having the latest Tech, I remember grabbing windows 7 as soon as it was flung out in Windows 7 Party Pack.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Not to side track this thread but just out of curiousty seeing as this thread is in relation to games / gaming - how come equivelant games on a mac ( OS X ) are more expensive to purchase then if I paid for the windows version of the same game ?

I know OS X uses Open GL ( from what I can gather ) so I presume they have to re program / re do the game in open gl as apposed to direct X ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not to side track this thread but just out of curiousty seeing as this thread is in relation to games / gaming - how come equivelant games on a mac ( OS X ) are more expensive to purchase then if I paid for the windows version of the same game ?

I know OS X uses Open GL ( from what I can gather ) so I presume they have to re program / re do the game in open gl as apposed to direct X ?
    Yeh thats part of it, OSX uses a much older version of open gl thats on windows too which presents headaches too as the newer open gl shortcuts have to be converted back. Also mac users tend to pay more tbh...
    Steam is trying to help though on this side but osx just really is not a gaming os, when I compare running WoW on boot camp w7 to osx the performance difference is astounding.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its also economics, supply and demand. There are way more PC users to spread the cost between where as the Mac market is smaller and so to an extent the per unit cost is higher.

Thank Post

If you use Steam, the games are the same price, well you pay for the game and can play it on both Mac and PC

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    to my knowledge XP is hardly used among my gaming friends. I have a fair few hundred on my xfire list and the vast majority are on Windows 7 (about 80%), then Vista (about 15%) then XP (about 5%). So its already taking precidence. Most on vista are upgrading to 7 soon as well, and those on XP are just waiting for 7 to drop in price a bit before they make the jump.

Thank Post
    Because they have an Apple Logo on the side and Jobs charges them to use the logo?

Thank Post
    I'd agree with what nephilim says.

Windows 7 is the gamers 1st choice os and Any serious gamer wouldn't be seen running less than 3gb ram so 64bit it is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    I'd agree with what nephilim says.

Windows 7 is the gamers 1st choice os and Any serious gamer wouldn't be seen running less than 3gb ram so 64bit it is.
    Which in turn the retailers have spotted so most prebuilt units are usually 64bit as standard with 4gb of Ram - although this could be retailers believing all they have to do is throw as many confusing numbers as possible at the standard home user.

In regards to steam, steam are probably able to handle Mac games at the same price because half the time their PC products are double the cost of buying hard copies from the likes of Amazon or Play.... !

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    According to the latest Steam survey, Windows 7 x64 is already the OS of choice for gamers. Serious gamers moved a long time ago.

XP is a terrible OS for games. With the latest graphics cards having 1-2GB RAM (more if you count SLI and CrossFire setups), modern games simply won't run as well on a system which is limited to 4GB RAM max.

On my home PC, my graphics card can use a total of 4863MB RAM which is impossible with XP.

Thank Post
    Agreed with above. As far as I'm aware, 7 long overtook XP as the gamers choice. With DX10 cards being the norm now for over four years, and DX11 for 18 months, XP simply doesn't cut it - despite many games still only using DX9.0c. I finally switched a few months back on my home machine; it has been totally painless, and performance is good despite my aged processor.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast