+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, World of Warcraft guide book. Is there one? in Fun Stuff; Does anyone know if there are any guide books on WoW? I'm gettign into it a bit now, but get ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

World of Warcraft guide book. Is there one?

Does anyone know if there are any guide books on WoW? I'm gettign into it a bit now, but get miffed that if I need any info I have to look online, which detracts from the gameplay somewhat. I don't want a breakdown on how to do quests etc, just about general gamplay how to's, commands etc. Is there such a book as I can't find one anywhere.

Thank Post
    I belive there are several. A quick search on game brought up these "wow guide" - GAME.co.uk

Thank Post
    You can get some cool mods to help you in-game with navigation, help with quests etc... I don't think one guide could cover it all capably

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I belive there are several. A quick search on game brought up these "wow guide" - GAME.co.uk
    They are not the kind of thing I'm looking for. Most of tehm are guides and mostly out of date. I want more of an 'overview' type of book, such as explaing the various command bars, how to train etc. WoW is a very large game once you scratch the surface and I got a coupel of 'statagey guides' in the Battle Chest set I gotfrom Game. There are both out of date and irrelevant now and offer nothing in teh way of explination to the newbie on how to perform many basic tasks such as when to eat, should you eat?

Thank Post
    For beginners the in game pop up help system is actually quite decent now for teaching you the basics of how spells/talents/combat works. Due to the nature of the game and how it is constantly changing the various websites dedicated to warcraft do become almost essential and i would have to say a book would probably not be much use for more then a couple of months after buying it.

And you only need to drink/eat to recover mana/health not for any survival reasons

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    They are not the kind of thing I'm looking for. Most of tehm are guides and mostly out of date. I want more of an 'overview' type of book, such as explaing the various command bars, how to train etc. WoW is a very large game once you scratch the surface and I got a coupel of 'statagey guides' in the Battle Chest set I gotfrom Game. There are both out of date and irrelevant now and offer nothing in teh way of explination to the newbie on how to perform many basic tasks such as when to eat, should you eat?
    I see, in that case I don't think I've seen anything in booklet form. Obviously theres load of sites with that kind of info on them. Maybe make a pdf of certain parts of sites and invest in a kindle (or similar)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a addon that will help you, I will dropbox it tonight.

Thank Post
    TomTom is helpful, as is QuestHelper - and Atlas Loot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I have a addon that will help you, I will dropbox it tonight.
    Thank you. You were right about my first character BTW. I went back and joined the Horde. More fun.

*Shaun basically said that my first character (a human) was so pathetic he would die if Shauns character ever went to the toilet near him
    He was right too.

Thank Post
    all paper guides are out of date next patch, the best place I find is Video Game Cheats, Reviews, FAQs, Message Boards, and More - GameFAQs as people like to update guides often. Seems to be a large community of people who play just to write guides.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also make use of sites like thottbot.com too ... and get yourself in a guild which is newbie friendly ... not many of them around unfortunately. I also subscribe to the WoW magazine (4 a year ... when they get publish on a regular basis that is) but they do have some interesting backgrounds to the storylines which can be helpful too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Also make use of sites like thottbot.com too ... and get yourself in a guild which is newbie friendly ... not many of them around unfortunately. I also subscribe to the WoW magazine (4 a year ... when they get publish on a regular basis that is) but they do have some interesting backgrounds to the storylines which can be helpful too.
    Alot are getting friendly now for the guild levelling stuff, where they get perks and you get perks

Thank Post
    Some useful websites:
    www.wowwiki.com - Massive amounts of information about every aspect of the game. Useful for Beginners and Experienced players.
    www.wowhead.com - The place to look up items, spells, recipes etc.
    elitistjerks.com/forums.php - The goto resource for end game raiding and theorycrafting. Not for beginners.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately written stuff gets out of date fast in WoW, it moves on pretty quickly in terms of tactics.

The best bet is to find the advice forum for your class. Prot Paladins for example will use Maintankadin, other classes have their own independant community boards that have popped up over the game's lifetime. They offer plenty of guides and advice but are hard to find as there is no central list of good boards.

Thank Post
    If you have an IRL friend who can come round and show you the basics, that would be a good option.

The rest you can learn on the fly & chat with fellow gamers on various issues on things like good addons etc

As people say, books are out of date as soon as they are published and with so many patches / updates for wow, websites usually have the most up to date info

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast