+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Gaming Thread, X-BOX 360, which model? in Fun Stuff; I use mine for about 1-2 hours a day and have done since June. Before that it was about 1-2 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use mine for about 1-2 hours a day and have done since June. Before that it was about 1-2 hours a week. Had it for over a year and no problems with it apart from it being loud and chucking out tremendous heat. I have seen my neighbours one which is on for 4-6 hours a day and has been for the last 2 years start to show signs the RROD will happen soon (red lines on the GFX display etc).

It is all dependant on how much you use it and how intensive the games are - EG CoD and Crysis will juice up the machine more than Sonic or Fifa for example.

Thank Post
    you can get the new slim 4gb model then pop in your own hard drive, there are tutorials on how to do it, a freind of mine did it this way, wish i did too as it would have saved a few bob

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    you can get the new slim 4gb model then pop in your own hard drive, there are tutorials on how to do it, a freind of mine did it this way, wish i did too as it would have saved a few bob
    I did wonder about this approach but was a little concerned about affecting warranty. May look at it as an option though.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I would thank the individual posts but I dont seem to appear to be able to do so due to a lack of Thanks button.

Thank Post
    The RROD was a problem with the earlier models of the Xbox where is would heat and cool each time you used it and eventually the Graphics Chip would fail or the boards inside would crack due to the 'cold solder' joints expanding and contracting when heating/cooing (mainly the heating though). You can buy additional fans to attach to the back of the Xbox but it makes a hell of a noise and hasn't really proved to prolong life that much.

The newer models (the Elite mainly) were much better but it still happens now and then to consoles if they are used for a prolonged period regularly (my Elite RROD'd during a summer holiday, but I had spent about 7 hours each day for nearly a week using it! lol)

The newest model (the 250b slimline) should not have the problem, as now if it is overheating it will flash up an error message on the screen and shut itself down automatically and won;t turn back on until it has cooled enough to be safe to use again. If that happens a few times in a short space of time then you need to find a better ventilated place to put the console!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    My Elite's vents after a few hours get quite dusty etc so before I turn mine on I make sure they are clear and free of any nasty stuff. A quick blow with some compressed air sorts mine out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post

The newest model (the 250b slimline) should not have the problem, as now if it is overheating it will flash up an error message on the screen and shut itself down automatically and won;t turn back on until it has cooled enough to be safe to use again. If that happens a few times in a short space of time then you need to find a better ventilated place to put the console!
    I believe they took the red leds out so it is now physically impossible for this model to RROD as to is it more reliable - time will tell

Thank Post
    pretty much all of the "rumours" of the slim360 rrod are fake, the console doesnt even have a red led aparently. the only real fault is error86 (i think) and its due to the hard drive needing to be reseated. also seen people complaining how the discs get scratched in the drive but its down to the idiots shaking the console...

Haters hating for the sake of hating...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would never do that tbh as its easy for MS to ban your xbox from xbox live and also it would invalidate warranty.

Thank Post
    Im pretty sure it doesnt, the new models are different and the drives are just normal drives again, nolong in the big grey plastic box, pretty much the same as the ps3, cant see it invalidating the warrenty either as your not opening the 360, they made the hard drive removable for a reason

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjonas
    I believe they took the red leds out so it is now physically impossible for this model to RROD as to is it more reliable - time will tell
    They took out the Red Ring LEDs and replaced them with 1 LED in the center of the power button;
    YouTube - Xbox 360 Slim Red Light of Death E-82 Error

So now it's RLOD - Red Light of Death! :P

Thank Post
    which just means hes moved his xbox to much and the hard drive needs reseating

JPS
    Thank Post
    Excellent feed back guys, I think finally then there are two options: The 250Gb option, with a little more up front, or choose the cheaper 4Gb option and then if more space required in the future, purchase an external drive, however this of course would work out slightly more in the long run.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    You won't be able to install or download games on to an external hard drive (unless that was changed with the last update, I know you can save your gamertag to external media now)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im pretty sure it doesnt, the new models are different and the drives are just normal drives again, nolong in the big grey plastic box, pretty much the same as the ps3, cant see it invalidating the warrenty either as your not opening the 360, they made the hard drive removable for a reason
    XBOX official drives are based on real ones but the models are unique model number that was only issued to MS to ensure they could tell or well thats how it was when the 360 came out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12