+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Next generation consoles. What to expect in Fun Stuff; After talking to my wife last week about how, now that the children were old enough, it may be time ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Blog Entries

Next generation consoles. What to expect

After talking to my wife last week about how, now that the children were old enough, it may be time to look at 'perhaps' getting a Wii.
    Now, I'm not sure if she was heading me off at the pass here, but she said, 'What's the point?'. An began to expand her comment. With Kinect and other optical movement recognition devices coming out as add-ons for various console, what will the next generation of consoles have in them? And when will the arrive?
    I'm actually a bit excited by this as for the first time in many years I can get a new console when on its initial release. So does anybody know what the major companies have planned?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 22nd November 2010 at 01:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Microsoft Xbox 360 is going to be around at least till 2015 last comment Microsoft said that I read somewhere and Nintendo said somewhere that their wii is still popular so they aren't really looking to move on yet

Thank Post
    i doubt theres anything thats going to be out any time soon, looking atleat 5 years i rekon, all the major compaines are improving their existing consoles and bringing out fantastic bits of kit like kinect

id say Nintendo will have to be first to move it up a gear

Thank Post
    I read in a forum that MS are not only keeping the 360 for a good few years but might bring out a new console in 2012/13 to run alongside the 360. but it was just a forum.

Thank Post
    Kinect is intended to be a mid-life release and both Microsoft and Sony have said they expect a 10 year life for their consoles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 2,073 Posts
    I'm looking forward to the next generation of consoles because it will mean PC games will suck less.

Thank Post
    10 year life-span, music to my ears. i thought they'd have a PS4/Xbox720 out within 24 months....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seanlaz View Post
    10 year life-span, music to my ears. i thought they'd have a PS4/Xbox720 out within 24 months....
    You're a fool if you buy the Xbox720......wait for the Xbox1080p instead

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suspect Nintendo will be the next to bring something out, but I've absolutely no idea what it'll be. I wouldn't have seen the Wii's motion control coming, and it wouldn't surprise me if they bring in something else new to differentiate themselves.

Maybe those thought control helmets?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Okay, the 'whem will it arrive?' question has been answered, but what will they have in them?

We can go for the obvious stuff - Multicore Cell processors (or other PowerPC variants) in all three with whatever is cutting edge from either AMD or nVidia in the GPU department. I recon a Physics processor or a dedicated Physics core in the GPU or CPU is the next big thing as far as visuals go.

I think Wireless n will be the defacto standard, although gigabit ethernet will also be standard (are they gigabit or 100mb at the moment?).

But the biggest change will be no Optical Drive. So expect uber-large (1Tb+) SSD hard drives to download your gaming content on to.

Motion sensors will be supplied as the standard controllers.

And finally Sony will be bought out by Apple so expect the PS4 to come installed with iOS 9.

Thank Post
    Internet rumour mills do indeed point to a 'Wii-HD' being the next move, it's a strong brand and I expect Nintendo will look to draw more of the 'hardcore' crowd with a machine that will play ports of games from the other formats, while remaining casual-friendly.

Thank Post
    Xbox360 and PS3 are going to be around for some time yet, MS and Sony have taken the clever route and chosen to keep their console updated by improving the software running on it instead of asking you to buy new hardware every 12 months (anyone remember the first Xbox360 software update from the old-style Blades to the new-style scrolling boxes? Was like having an almost new console!)

Graphics-wise only Nintendo need to up their game and get their "Wii v2" to do HD (or close to it) as it is so poor by comparison (when in the cinema yesterday my girlfriend remarked on seeing the trailer for "Epic Mickey" on how poor the graphics looked). The fact that the Xbox360 and PS3 play DVD (&bluray for PS3), output HDMI, have large hard drives to download/install games and so on, there's no real 'need' for entirely new hardware right now imo; accessories like the Kinect or the PS3 'Wand' are the way to go for a few years yet.

Sony are even keeping their PS2 around for another couple of years yet too as they have said that they still get a great market for it, so they certainly aren't going to be releasing a PS4 anytime soon, and MS releasing the Kinect is a good indicator that they are not just going to scrap the whole thing in a year for something else as like JJonas said, it's intended as a kind of mid-life revamp for the hardware.

Thank Post
    i wonder if anyones original PS3 or 360 will actually live seamlessly for 10years? my ps3 decided to stop working this weekend and is stuck on trying to install an update which it always fails! was working fine before... but its out of warrenty and im not paying for it to be fixed! my origional xbox rrod and could never be fixed! my 2nd i recently sold when i bought the new 360 'slim'

Thank Post
    I’m on my 3rd Xbox 360, first died because of the power going on and off 3 times, sold the second to pay for an xbox360S because I wanted wireless and bigger HD was the cheaper option also saves a plug socket for the Kinect too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,972 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So I've gotta wait another 5 years before I buy an Xbox 360 then. Joy...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast